Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
BGR

Towing 2009 Mini Cooper 4 down

I am interested in hearing from any members who have towed a Mini Cooper 4 wheels down and in particular, those who have tapped into the mini's electrical system for wiring lights and have towed without supplemental braking.

On the lighting, I have 2009 convertible and that makes using magnetic lights difficult. The only place to really mount them is on the side and while the cooper width is narrow enough where these would still be within the width of my rig, I don't really like the idea of having these hang on the side. At the same time, I've read numerous posts where people say DO NOT attempt to tap into the mini's electrical system as it's complex and can lead to problems. I want to hear from owners who have done this without issue before moving forward. I am also concerned about the warranty issue here, but without a good option I'm willing to take the risk.

I also want to avoid the use of supplemental braking if possible. My rig is a 2005 27' Rexhall Vision. It certainly doesn't match the weight of the 32+ rigs, but the mini at 2500 lbs is likely still inconsequential and keeps total weight within rated vehicle weight. Can owners towing this without supplemental braking let me know their experience here? Thanks!
BGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #2

We pull a 2003 Mini Cooper S six speed four down. There is an extra socket in the back which can be used as a brake and turn signal lamp. We had the wiring done professionally and they had no problem with the job. We do not use any supplemental braking as it is under the limit for Illinois. I also post a sign on the back window that states "I'm pushing as hard as I can!" :-)
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I tow a 2003 Mini Cooper standard four down and it tows GREAT!!!! I had it wired professionally and they used diodes in each tail light so it didn't mess with the car's wiring at all...

As you mentioned, I use no auxiliary brake....

It's a laugh at how many stares we draw ad we pull into most CG's - huge MH and tiny Toad...

Good luck and great travels...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #4

When diodes are used the toads electrical system is effected.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Works great... Have my plug-in under the hood.... Not a single problem.....Sales tele-conference at 2 today...
Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ooops.... Last part was meant for my staff... My bad.....
Old 05-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
I am interested in hearing from any members who have towed a Mini Cooper 4 wheels down and in particular, those who have tapped into the mini's electrical system for wiring lights and have towed without supplemental braking.

On the lighting, I have 2009 convertible and that makes using magnetic lights difficult. The only place to really mount them is on the side and while the cooper width is narrow enough where these would still be within the width of my rig, I don't really like the idea of having these hang on the side. At the same time, I've read numerous posts where people say DO NOT attempt to tap into the mini's electrical system as it's complex and can lead to problems. I want to hear from owners who have done this without issue before moving forward. I am also concerned about the warranty issue here, but without a good option I'm willing to take the risk.

I also want to avoid the use of supplemental braking if possible. My rig is a 2005 27' Rexhall Vision. It certainly doesn't match the weight of the 32+ rigs, but the mini at 2500 lbs is likely still inconsequential and keeps total weight within rated vehicle weight. Can owners towing this without supplemental braking let me know their experience here? Thanks!
If any post needed to be answered by "Do a search - you'll find many posts on this subject" -- it's this one.... so

Do a search MINI COOPER TOWING.

There is a lot of good info out there from all of us who have (or still do) tow a MINI.

Note: I suggest using the COOPER in the search box, so you keep the number of posts down that you would get by using just MINI.
And, frankly, I get tired of typing the same thing over and over every few months - as you can see I'm not too good a typer nor can I spell good.

None-the-less:
To tow a MINI it must be a manual transmission - no automatics.
It's OK to tow a MINI - you won't hurt it.

1))No matter what the weight - get a brake system, if for no other reason to get a "Breakaway" facility (applies the vehicle's brakes in case of a hitch failure).

2)Easiest way to get tail/marker/brake lights is to buy a couple of surface mount lens/lamp assembly (Wally world has them) and run the wiring all the way to the back of the MINI - where you mounted the lamp assembly.

3) The only part of the Warranty that could be voided is on the transmission - and I and lots of other folk have towed a 2010 MINI for many thousand miles without any trouble what-so-ever. IE I have put 7500 miles on my MINI ClubmanS in the last year. And I put over 15,000 miles on my 2005 MINI before trading it for my 2010 Clubman.

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
BGR

Hey, thanks to all who replied and gave me an education. I towed my mini for the first time today, home from my RV shop where the base plate and towbar (Falcon II) were installed. I went with external trailer lights meant to hang out of a trunk and that works perfect for me. They have hinged flaps on them and they insert under the bottom of my hatch to keep them secure. I added magnets on the bolts on back of them to keep them from flapping around and snug against the hatch. Since it's a convertible I just ran the cord through the car and out the top at the center. It all works perfect!

I am going to use an Even Brake system on my trip this summer. I went over a modest grade bringing the car home and tested braking a bit as well as in traffic. I had plenty of stopping power, but I'm climbing over some steep grades for the trip and want the breakaway safety as well.
BGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #9

Thanks for the update, and enjoy the many miles and good times yu'll have with your MH and Toad

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing