Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #1

Towing 2010 Ford Escape

We towed a HHR 4 down for 3 yrs. Now have a Ford Escape which was suppose to be able to be towed 4 down. I have now read about so many problems with the transmissions that I think I need to go with a dolly. That being said I would like some input as to what might be the best route, dolly wise or if some of ya'll have towed a 2010 Escape 4 down. Thanks for any info. PJ
P J Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The issues have been with non hybrid 4wd escapes.

Hybrids are ok.

Fwd is only ok on a dolly

Non hybrid 4wd's are towable according to the owners manual, but there are routines you have to go thru, running the engine every few hours, and staying below a certain speed.

There is also a tsb about lowering the fluid level in the trans (to prevent foaming)

Ford is no longer listing these as towable.
They can't really take back the towable rating on earlier ones. They do fix the transmissions (if the vehicle is still under warrantee). Out of warrantee, it is the owners problem.

Me, i'd get the awd hybrid. No problems towing that. I would not tow a 4wd escape of any year, it's (imho) a problem just waiting to happen.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #3

I was told by a Ford dealer that the only way was if Ford changed the transmition. Thi was after the deasler I bought it from told me it should work [lesson learned!]. I ended up with a dolly. This was when the Escape first came out.
retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have 2010 Escape and have never had a problem towing. You're suppose to let it run for about 5 minutes, put it in reverse, drive and then neutral. Turn it off; leave the key in it. Then stop every 5-6 hours and repeat the process.
Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #5

Angry

Our '10 Escape (AWD V6) has had four issues of people pulling up along side our motorhome and telling us "your tow car is on fire!" We have had the trans rebuilt once, waiting for the "other shoe to drop" and have it trash itself completely. I have had several Ford dealers "verify" the correct lower level of the trans fluid, all to no avail. I follow ALL the recommended procedures for four down towing religiously, and have never had any problem with other brands of previous toads. Obiviously, this trans (6F35?) is marginally engineered and designed to be able to be towed four down. There is a Ford accessory kit (built by Remco for Ford) which will allow the Escape to be towed as it was advertised and sold to do so, but Ford says I will have to cough up $800 to have it installed. Ford knows it has a problem here, as they now say that the '12's are NOT towable, and this is the exact same drive train as the '10's and '11's. I am very dissapointed in the way Ford has sidestepped this problem, and not been forthright in making it right. I sure am kicking myself for passing on the Suzuki as a toad.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing