Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

towing 2011 Acadia

need help in towing 2011 arcadia

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi!

Is it a GM Acadia?
Doesn't look like anybody here is towing one, or if they are they haven't seen any of your 3 posts...

Have you tried the Acadia Owner's link at GMC Owners Information | GMC?
Maybe they could help!

Good luck

Francesca

Old 09-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankie43 View Post

What info are you looking for? It would help if you posted some information on what you would be towing it with.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
According to the Remco towing site the vehicle is towable as is. All you need is a base plate, wiring kit for lights and a towbar. www.remcotowing.com/vehicles
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankie43 View Post
I'm willing to help.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

I was trying to find someone that has an 11 Arcadia to see what they do to tow. the manual says all I have to do is remove 50 amp Batt 1 fuse. However on first tow batt died in a little over a hour. Seen somewhere else that you should remove Batt 1 and ECM fuses.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #7

Yes it is GM Acadia sorry about spelling. I did what the manual said but it killed batt.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
our prior toad was a 2008 Acadia. hitch up and pull the main fuse is all that was needed. it is heavy car, almost 5,000 lbs, but had no issues with it. mine went dead the first two times, the dealer corrected it but not sure what he did.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I tow the sister GM Product. All I do to my Enclave(2011) is pull the 50 amp fuse, but I turn everything off before I pull the fuse(all accessories). For whatever reason, it seems that some folks still get a dead battery. Be sure to also turn off the daytime running lights, if yours remain on after you pull the fuse. Also, if you haven't already done so, you need to get the high top 50 amp fuse so you can pull it easier. Good luck.
Mutt
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
JDT

I have a 2011 Acadia but have decided to use a dolly instead. Our prior toad was an 08 Acadia that we towed 4 down with a Blue Ox towbar and base plate and an SMI Air Force One braking system. Towed it around 15K miles with no problems.

The 2011 manual does state you need to pull the Batt 1 50 amp fuse and the 15 amp ECM fuse which is located close by. We ran our battery down the first few times we pulled the 08 because of an operator error. Whenever I was positioning the key I was leaving it on the ignition position instead of the ACC position. Look closely at the key and make sure you use the ACC position because the ignition position leaves a lot of things one even with the fuse pulled. ACC is the first postion on the key and unlocks the steering.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We tow a 2007 Acadia and just pull the Batt 1 50A fuse. I've heard rumors of also pulling a second fuse on some later models, but don't know the specifics.

But your question about fuses will be answered in your Acadia owner manual, in a section titled Recreational Towing. It gives specific instructions for towing your 2011 Acadia. If it doesn't work as described, contact a GM dealer for assistance. Sometimes they put out a Service Bulletin to define a change of towing procedures and the dealer would know about that.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #12

No I found out that GM didn't put out a Service Bulliten. Instead they did a second printing of the owners manual with seveal changes that apparently most of the dealers are not aware of. In the second printing it has the 2nd fuse listed to pull. Looks like they would inform there dealers a little more. We had a 08 Saturn Outlook before this which all we did was the Batt 1 fuse and Dealer said tow this one same way and thats what my Owners Manual says. Called GM and thats what they said. I just happened to check out there web site and found they had a second printing of the manual. Hope this takes care of the Batt problem. Thanks all for your input
Old 10-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #13

Acadia towing

I pull a 2011 Buick Enclave,a sister vehicle. Inst. are to pull the 15a ecm and the 50a Batt 1 fuse. Had problem getting the 50a out, is tight and not much to grab onto. I found an extended(longer) 50a which helped. But became concerned that could cause problems at the push on connecter for the 50a, under the fuse panel. I put a 50a switch under the hood. Used pushon connecters at fuse panel, and for the 50a fuse, which i placed inline to the 50a fuse. Switch is mounted on firewall. I still pull the 15a ecm fuse, as that procedure is not an issue. Switch, connecters and wiring maybe was $12.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn107 View Post
I pull a 2011 Buick Enclave,a sister vehicle. Inst. are to pull the 15a ecm and the 50a Batt 1 fuse. Had problem getting the 50a out, is tight and not much to grab onto. I found an extended(longer) 50a which helped. But became concerned that could cause problems at the push on connecter for the 50a, under the fuse panel. I put a 50a switch under the hood. Used pushon connecters at fuse panel, and for the 50a fuse, which i placed inline to the 50a fuse. Switch is mounted on firewall. I still pull the 15a ecm fuse, as that procedure is not an issue. Switch, connecters and wiring maybe was $12.
I know some other people that did the switch for the Batt 1. Did you check with your dealer to see if it would affect your warranty, as I had one person tell me they told him it would. Thanks for the info. I told GM after I finally found this info that they need to get on the ball and get this info out to the dealers. ANyway thanks again. Would like to know how long you have been towing the Encave and if you have had any problems. I towed a 08 Saturn Outlook before this one. my email is butch@rieksretreat.com

Tags
towing