Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow. DW and I were considering trading or selling our 2008 Explorer and getting the new 2012 CR-V. Seems like a very nice vehicle that can be flat towed. After reading this discussion, I think maybe it may be more trouble than it is worth. With my 4WD Explorer, all I have to do is put the tranny in neutral, shut off the engine, leave the key in the ignition, and activate the neutral tow switch. Off we go for any time or miles and never an issue.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #30

I don't know if this is relevant but I will offer it. We have a 2006 & a 2007 CRV. We are considering using the 2006 as a towd so I subscribed to this forum to see what the challenges might be. If I am working in the yard and I turn on the radio on the 2006 for entertainment, the battery will only support it for a few hours. At first I thought it was due to a weak battery (5 years old). Eventually I needed to replace it and I assumed That with the new battery I could now use the car radio for entertainment when doing my yard work, but same issue. I can listen for many hours but the car won't start in the morning. I assumed it was because the engine management ECU was wide awake whenever the key was in the accessory position but perhaps the thirsty radio is the real culprit. The radio fuse-pull is really good info. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #31

We also have a 2012 CRV without Navigation and the battery is dead after 3 hours of towing.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #32
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Ist, my battery in my snowblower is bigger than the one in the Honda. We had a dead cell last week (6 months old).
But for towing - I put in a battery cut off switch, later a fuse switch to shut off the acc fuse and lastly with my braking system - a battery charger (from the coach).
I will try the fuse switch ist since I must start the unit a few times a day to lubricate the trans.
I made my own fuse switch since it was just about impossible to get to the darn fuse panel let alone the darn fuse. Cost was about $10.00 ( for the inline fuse and a switch from Radio Shack.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Im also new to CRV towing. We have pulled our CRV 2 times this year. One was for 96 miles and one was for 116 miles, no problem. We have a much longer trip comming up and am getting concerned over the battery problem. Would a battery disconnect switch work in place of pulling the radio Fuse?
IS there anything special have to be done during a Gas stop?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #34

FWIW - we towed a 2002 CR-V with zero battery problems. But, we did not have Navi; Bluetooth; etc.

We have now been towing a 2012 CR-V w/Navi since Springtime. Battery was dead after our first 6-hour tow... same with the second leg of the same long trip. Fortunately, based on postings on this forum, I anticipated the potential for this problem and carried along a battery pack jump starter.

Next - I wired in a small dash mounted rocker switch in place of "that" fuse (I forget the number) which kills the power to the Navi / radio without losing any settings. Since, we have towed many, many miles without any issues. With the switch in place, I believe the only battery drain worth mentioning now is the small amount of occassional needed to illuminate my brake lights. I also wired in separate brake light bulbs in the tail light assemblies that are powered when the AFO SMI Brake System engages the brake pedal.

My understanding (again... FWIW), is that the Navi continues to "search" during towing with the ignition switch "on". This results in a constant voltage draw to drain the battery in just a few hours.

So, if you can't do the switch install and wiring, check with a mechanic because it can be installed easily in 30 minutes or so by a skilled mechanic. In fact, if you search, I beleive I recall a vendor on one of the RV sites actually sells a switch kit for around $50.

In my opinion, any CR-V model can be modified to reliably tow without much effort. What really surprised me about the CR-V (new and old) is what a great little driving car it is! We really enjoy how they drive and how functional they are for everyday use.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #35
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranknKaren View Post
Im also new to CRV towing. We have pulled our CRV 2 times this year. One was for 96 miles and one was for 116 miles, no problem. We have a much longer trip comming up and am getting concerned over the battery problem. Would a battery disconnect switch work in place of pulling the radio Fuse?
IS there anything special have to be done during a Gas stop?
That is the "absolute" solution. I put my switch on the + post but ran into a problem where there are 2 wires connected to the battery - on going each way. I connected the switch to this connector - taped the heck out of it and shoved it down in front of the battery and then ran the other wire up to the + terminal on the battery. The switch is a boat (non arching) - cost about $40.00.
The fuse switch cost less than $10.00 to make and install and may be more convenient for starting the car in the mornings.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #36

It should be noted that a battery disconnect is most effective at eliminating any potential for draining, however it will not be the right solution if your supplementalnbrake system relies on your toad battery, or other components such asn toad your brake/turn lights.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 09-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #37
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
I found a way around that. Connect your braking system directly to the battery and the cut off switch is connected to turn off the car itself. The only drain on the battery therfore is the braking system.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #38
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Here are pictures of the fuse shut off switch and the battery shut off switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050021.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	25749   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040993.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	25750  

Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #39

JCM - nice install, and good idea on powering the brake system direct from your battery.

I placed my switch to kill the navi/radio in the same location.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #40

We just purchased a 2013 CRV w/ Navi. Could you be a little more specific on how you wired the switch in to disengage the navi? We tow and have had CRV's before but this is the first w/ Navi. Also, is there a way to disable the multi-information display while towing? I tried pulling fuse 25 but it still remains on. Appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.
Vince
Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey View Post
We just purchased a 2013 CRV w/ Navi. Could you be a little more specific on how you wired the switch in to disengage the navi? We tow and have had CRV's before but this is the first w/ Navi. Also, is there a way to disable the multi-information display while towing? I tried pulling fuse 25 but it still remains on. Appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.
Vince
Vince, my 2012 CRV does not have Navi. The fuse I put the switch on is the one the book say's to pull for extended. I got the switch from "www.Rv-parts-plus.com" they also have a video non their site showing how to install the switch. Jim
Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #42
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Same as above. Use the accessory fuse - the one that is in the manual. I believe it is the 4th one over on the middle row. When you pull it (use your switch) ,your display will disapear but your clock will keep time.
You can make you own if you are handy with a sodering iron or buy one pre made.