Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to markhansen
Towing 2013 Honda CRV

Looking for some help with my situation. Towing for extended periods of time Honda recommends removing the Radio Accessory fuse #19. This fuse is located on the drivers side, under the dash. Its very, very difficult for me to maneuver in this very tight area. I've even lost fuses and a fuse tool by dropping them into a side panel directly below the fuse box and unable to retrieve.
It seems to me there must be a way to rewire or relocate this fuse where it is more accessible.
Any help will be deeply appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #2

We have a 2013 Honda CRV and we don't pull any fuses. We just turn off the radio and the climate controls and head down the road. We do have a small (1 inch cube) battery tender. It runs off 12 vdc from the coach. Some previous threads I have read on here have a switched fuse with leads coming off of the fuse. They then install an auxiliary switch from Honda and install on dash next to the Economy switch.

In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RoadMaster makes a product, I think it's called FuseMaster that was installed in my 2014 CRV. All we do is flip a switch and the fuse is disconnected. Really saves the headache of dealing with those hard to reach fuses every trip.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's the link.
http://roadmasterinc.com/products/ac...usemaster.html
Old 09-15-2016, 10:25 PM   #5

If I'm not mistaken, the only reason to pull this fuse is because the key has to be in the ACC position to keep the steering unlocked and that causes some items in the vehicle to remain powered. Since HONDA uses such a weak battery in this vehicle it goes dead if the fuse isn't pulled on long trips. You have three choices:

1) Replace the battery with a group 24 unit of at least 850 CCA. This will require replacing the battery tray with a HONDA Odyssey tray. OR

2) Install a battery charge wire between the coach and the CRV. OR

3) Try this: Simply
Turn Ignition key to full ON
Turn Ignition Key to full OFF, DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY
Turn steering wheel 90 degrees in each direction to test
that the steering is not locked.
It's a little known fact that most vehicles built after 2009 operate this way and do not require the key in the ACC position to keep the steering unlocked until the key is removed from the ignition.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On mine, two fuses are turned off...the one you mention and also the one that powers the navigation unit. I was told even if you turn the monitor off, there is still a power drain it you don't pull that fuse. If you don't have a navigation unit then it may not be a problem.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:40 PM   #7

Replace the battery with a group 24 battery. To do this you will need to purchase a new battery tray for a Honda Odessy per the part numbers in this photo. The OEM group 51 battery is only about 450 CCA while a good group 24 is 900 plus. The original is not much larger than your average lawn tractor. The two plastic parts from Honda are less than $20. A really good battery, $150. Peace of mind, Priceless.

Very simple fix and you do not need to pull fuses. A charge line from the MH is also recommended but with the larger battery, not necessary.
I replaced mine a couple years ago and no problems since. I have towed for two days without unhooking. I just run the car for a few minutes in the morning to lube the transmission and go.

Sorry for the upside down photo. Between Apple and irv2 they have a different version of right side up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	139073  
Old 09-16-2016, 12:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
RoadMaster makes a product, I think it's called FuseMaster that was installed in my 2014 CRV. All we do is flip a switch and the fuse is disconnected. Really saves the headache of dealing with those hard to reach fuses every trip.
We were fortunate to be traveling through Vancouver, Wa after many battery problems and were able to stop at Roadmaster and have them install the switch. The other suggestions are good alternatives and may not be any more expensive (I'm not convinced about changing the key position since that approach it's not consistent with the Honda instructions). I was about one jump start away from installing the charge line when I decided to get the switch. 2012 CRV
Old 09-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #9

In my case, I don't use the Honda stop lights so I pull fuse #16 under the hood also along with the acc. fuse switch. That way the toad braking system isn't drawing power from the battery to turn the toad stoplights when the pedal is pushed down. I use separate lights activated by the coach.

Originally posted by IIIkrob:
) Try this: Simply
Turn Ignition key to full ON
Turn Ignition Key to full OFF, DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY
Turn steering wheel 90 degrees in each direction to test
that the steering is not locked.
It's a little known fact that most vehicles built after 2009 operate this way and do not require the key in the ACC position to keep the steering unlocked until the key is removed from the ignition.

In the case of the my Honda, this only works if the shifter is in PARK. If the shifter is in NEUTRAL, which is highly recommended for towing, the switch can't be turned to full OFF.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
In my case, I don't use the Honda stop lights so I pull fuse #16 under the hood also along with the acc. fuse switch. That way the toad braking system isn't drawing power from the battery to turn the toad stoplights when the pedal is pushed down. I use separate lights activated by the coach

In the case of the my Honda, this only works if the shifter is in PARK. If the shifter is in NEUTRAL, which is highly recommended for towing, the switch can't be turned to full OFF.
All due respect, I would simply follow the instructions in the owners manual by the guy that designed and built it.
A larger battery will solve ALL the issues and there is no need to pull fuses or keys etc which can result in disaster if a step is missed.
Suit yourself but I do think it's poor advice.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #11

Unhappy

Dennis, I don't quite understand your post or your point. I think the advice in the first paragraph is good and solid advice.
In your second paragraph, every point you make contradicts the advice you gave in the first paragraph. The owners manual doesn't advise putting in a larger battery. The owners manual does advise removing fuses. The owners manual advises the proper key position. You indicate not using the keys along with not pulling fuses. If you don't use the keys, how do you unlock the steering column? If you don't use the keys, how do you get it out of PARK and into NEUTRAL for towing?
I don't understand your two totally different positions on this. I've never had battery problems so see no need to change batteries not to mention the excessive cost for no benefit. All I did was post what I do, I wasn't advising any one to do anything. I'm sorry if you took it that way. So my bottom line could be this:

Suit yourself but I do think it's poor advice,
but I don't think it was. There are many ways to accomplish the desired results, you just have to apply what works for you.

I'm watching Oakland and the Rangers, now headed to bed to watch the rest of the game. Everyone have a good evening.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post

I'm watching Oakland and the Rangers, now headed to bed to watch the rest of the game. Everyone have a good evening.
Right, Say Goodnight JohnBoy.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Look at my post #34 in the link below.

2013 CRV fuse question

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Tags
honda, tow, towing