Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Towing 2013 Honda CRV-EXL

I have read on here about having to pull fuses before towing to prevent discharging the battery. The owner's manual says this is not necessary unless you are towing more than 8 hours a day. It says to pull the radio accessory fuse in that case. What has been your experience on this?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have read on here about having to pull fuses before towing to prevent discharging the battery. The owner's manual says this is not necessary unless you are towing more than 8 hours a day. It says to pull the radio accessory fuse in that case. What has been your experience on this?
I elected not to fool with pulling fuses and just ran a fused charge line from the coach to the car. Easy to do and works just fine.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Do have a CRV 2013. I just installed a toggle switch in the money holder that jump the specific fuse. Those mini-fuse are a hell of a problem to remove.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I elected not to fool with pulling fuses and just ran a fused charge line from the coach to the car. Easy to do and works just fine.
This is the most logical solution. You will have no problems with dead battery and won't have to worry about weather you did or did not pull the fuse.
Plug in and go.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys, but my real question is whether the user manual is correct and I don't need to pull the fuse for under 8 hours towing????

Old 12-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks guys, but my real question is whether the user manual is correct and I don't need to pull the fuse for under 8 hours towing????
I guess the only answer is "the user manual is Always Correct". But, depending on what type of braking system you have and how much current it draws and how often you need to apply the brakes (i.e., hilly or windy roads etc) which will result in current draw from the brake lights.
We have friends who also tow a CRV without removing a fuse and do not have a charge line. They use an AF1 braking system. They do however start and idle the car at least every 2-3 hours when stopped for a break etc. they have not had any dead battery issues I am aware of.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Personally, I would NOT chance that 8 hour statement. We installed the fuse disconnect, others use a charge line. Pick your poison and go with one or the other.

The CRV battery is pretty weak. Most owners that don't tow seem to agree. As the battery gets older, it gets worse.

Physically pulling that fuse is a PITA. Installing a fuse cut off switch can be a bit tricky for an older body because of the location but once done it is a final solution. We located the switch in the coin change slot just left of the steering wheel column. We have not had a single problem since we installed it.

If you don't do anything, carry a portable battery charger pack to jump start the car. Don't ask me how I know that.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Personally, I would NOT chance that 8 hour statement. We installed the fuse disconnect, others use a charge line. Pick your poison and go with one or the other.

The CRV battery is pretty weak. Most owners that don't tow seem to agree. As the battery gets older, it gets worse.

Physically pulling that fuse is a PITA. Installing a fuse cut off switch can be a bit tricky for an older body because of the location but once done it is a final solution. We located the switch in the coin change slot just left of the steering wheel column. We have not had a single problem since we installed it.

If you don't do anything, carry a portable battery charger pack to jump start the car. Don't ask me how I know that.
Yes, Yes & Yes.
I carry a set of long jumper cables to reach from the Chassis Cut-Switch to the toad battery. Also, don't ask....
Old 12-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you pull the fuse does it screw up any settings on the radio or BlueTooth? We don't have the navigation.

We use the ReadyBrake system so there's no current draw on the toad battery!

Thanks again!

Old 12-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
If you pull the fuse does it screw up any settings on the radio or BlueTooth? We don't have the navigation....
NO.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
fuse disconnect in change holder has worked for us.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
If you pull the fuse does it screw up any settings on the radio or BlueTooth? We don't have the navigation.

We use the ReadyBrake system so there's no current draw on the toad battery!

Thanks again!

We also use a ReadyBrake and never drive 8 hours in a day, but I was concerned that that the battery discharge is not just the result of draw from the supplemental braking system. Surely, you have noticed that the display screen is illuminated when the key is in the ACC position. Obviously, some things are operating even though we always turn off the A/C and the audio system. Even though we only drive ~6-7 hours in a day, our CR-V may spend 8 or more total hours connected to the MH with the key in the ACC position.

Rather than worry about things I installed a "Toad Charge" system and used zip-ties to attach the charging wires to the towing umbilical cable. I didn't want to be concerned about what gauge wire was used in the umbilical. All I have to do when connecting the cable in the morning is connect both ends of the charging cable to the appropriate connectors on the MH and CR-V both of which are right next to the cable connector locations.

We've now towed our 2014 CR-V ~9,000 miles without any problems. Automobile starting batteries don't like to be deeply discharged. Every time you draw one down you've shortened its life a bit. The CR-V's battery is tiny and probably can't stand to lose much of its limited capability. This way I don't have to worry about it.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When I do a Google search for Honda CRV battery problems, it looks like most of the hits are on the 2012 CRV. Has anyone had this problem with the 2013?

Old 12-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
When I do a Google search for Honda CRV battery problems, it looks like most of the hits are on the 2012 CRV. Has anyone had this problem with the 2013?

Here's a link to some previous threads which may assist.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2013...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, tow, towing