Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Towing 2014 Grand Cherokee

Anyone towing the new Grand Cherokee? Just purchased the new Summitt. Any advice welcomed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #2

We have not set our new 2014 Overland up for towing yet but, the time will be coming. It will be interesting to watch this one and see what everyone has to say.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #3

Just had our 2014 Jeep Summit set up for Blue OX and Air Force One, just finished yesterday so haven't towed it yet. Coach 2010 Zephyr is in for some minor repairs so will let you know in a few days how it goes.

Susie, John and Baby Girl
Fort Myers, Fl
Old 05-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #4

4000 miles on our Overland diesel.

make sure you have the suspension in standard ride height before towing.

Mine has a Unified Tow Brake.

To stop the engine after putting the transfer case in neutral, hold the start button down for 5 seconds. The jeep will sift the transmission into park for you.

This leaves the button in Acc, so you just push it a couple more times, with foot off the brake pedal, till it reads off.

To shift the transfer case into neutral: Set the parking brake- have the engine running- shift the transmission in to neutral- use a ball point pen to hold down the transfer case neutral button- hold it till the dash display reads neutral- shut off engine- release parking brake -shut the doors and walk away
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We pull our Jeep Overland, never know it is behind you. We pulled a Jeep Commander before, same thing. One thing to remember with the Overland and Summit models, the hydra lift system must be in the travel mode before you tow. If you leave the vehicle in exit mode or lowered, you will have no suspension travel in the Jeep when you are towing it. Also, the transmission must have a neutral button in the center consol which I believe all the Overlands and Summits do. I think they are the perfect tow vehicle, my wife uses it as her daily driver, she loves it, and I enjoy driving it as well. Combine this with easy towing set up, no fuses to pull, no starting it occassionally when traveling, and a great multi purpose vehicle when not in tow. We use the All Terrain Sterling tow bar.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
4000 miles on our Overland diesel.

make sure you have the suspension in standard ride height before towing.

Mine has a Unified Tow Brake.

To stop the engine after putting the transfer case in neutral, hold the start button down for 5 seconds. The jeep will sift the transmission into park for you.

This leaves the button in Acc, so you just push it a couple more times, with foot off the brake pedal, till it reads off.

To shift the transfer case into neutral: Set the parking brake- have the engine running- shift the transmission in to neutral- use a ball point pen to hold down the transfer case neutral button- hold it till the dash display reads neutral- shut off engine- release parking brake -shut the doors and walk away
The procedure may vary by transfer case. My 2013 Overland was shifted to neutral while ACC was on, but did not involve starting the engine. The procedure was ACC on, press brake pedal, shift transmission to neutral, pen to N button until it beeps, transmission to park, ACC off. It's very easy.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
PDR John has the correct procedure for the '14 models. We just started towing our Overland this week. Tows very nicely.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #8

Just picked up 2014 GC Summit diesel this last week. Haven't gotten the Blue Ox and Air Force One systems put on yet. But I've been reading owner's manual pretty thoroughly the last few days. My owner's manual says to "ensure the vehicle is set at Normal Ride Height" for towing four down not at Transport mod (used when tying down on a flatbed trailer). Quadra Trac 1 is not flat towable but both Quadra Trac 2 and Quadra Drive 2 are flat towable[.ATTACH]63233[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1400460165.755978.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	868.2 KB
ID:	63233  
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I suggest everyone with a 2014 Grand Cherokee order the Full Owners Manual (600+ pages) and other publications offered for free to the first owner. Look on the Consumers Assistance page (mine is page 183) in the Users Guide and find the Publications Ordering section and call the number to get the latest Owners Manual.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a full-time RVer. I don't need more books. The PDF is better, as I can search it.

Tags
towing