Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:32 AM   #1

Towing 2015 Escalade

Does anyone have any info on towing this vehicle pros or cons? We have an Essex.
Ken and Patti Sweigart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpsweigart View Post
Does anyone have any info on towing this vehicle pros or cons? We have an Essex.
Ken and Patti Sweigart
If it is All Wheel Drive you can't tow 4 down without modification. You would need to contact Remco, I am not aware of any after market equipment to tow 4 down.

Have you considered a Trailer? I love trailering and if you do some searching you will find a wealth of great information.

As a side note, I had a Remco pump on a All Wheel Drive Denali, something on it caught fire going down the road and ended up burning up my coach as well, no idea what started the fire.

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I may stand corrected, I would check your owners manual?

Dinghy Towing 2015 | Towing Behind a Motorhome or RV | Dave Smith Motors

http://www.steinbring.com/wp-content...owing_2015.pdf
Old 08-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

Just a caution to be aware of (never happened to me or anyone I've directly met, but has been talked about on the irv2 forums with some saying it has happened to them)...

Assuming you have a 45' Essex, the shortest Escalade is just shy of 17' long. If you've got the ESV/EXT it's closer to 18.5' long. You're looking at 62'-63.5' without the tow bar. Most states limit the combined length of coach + towed to 65'. Source:Trailer Dimensions | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws. Some are significantly shorter than that with 53', 55' or 60' not being uncommon.

If you are over length you'll likely never get a ticket, but you could. I'm not sure what, if any, ramifications would occur if you are involved in an accident and over length. Also not sure if coach insurance and/or an umbrella policy would be able to wiggle out of any coverages.

On the pragmatic side - depending on where you head, it can be hard to find a space to comfortably accommodate 45' ... let alone a full size vehicle I know we had problems in our trip earlier this year with having to park quite funny many times and have very little "site" left over.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereed999 View Post
Just a caution to be aware of (never happened to me or anyone I've directly met, but has been talked about on the irv2 forums with some saying it has happened to them)...

Assuming you have a 45' Essex, the shortest Escalade is just shy of 17' long. If you've got the ESV/EXT it's closer to 18.5' long. You're looking at 62'-63.5' without the tow bar. Most states limit the combined length of coach + towed to 65'. Source:Trailer Dimensions | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws. Some are significantly shorter than that with 53', 55' or 60' not being uncommon.

If you are over length you'll likely never get a ticket, but you could. I'm not sure what, if any, ramifications would occur if you are involved in an accident and over length. Also not sure if coach insurance and/or an umbrella policy would be able to wiggle out of any coverages.

On the pragmatic side - depending on where you head, it can be hard to find a space to comfortably accommodate 45' ... let alone a full size vehicle I know we had problems in our trip earlier this year with having to park quite funny many times and have very little "site" left over.
You "could" get a ticket and be required to rectify the situation on the spot before proceeding, highly unlikely. If you have another driver with you unhooking and proceeding is simple.

Zero ramifications in an accident other than possibly a ticket for overlength. Absolutely no impact on insurance/umbrella not paying. I sell insurance, there is NO exclusion for a traffic violations. If so, every time someone was ticketed as a result of an accident, running a red light, DUI, speeding, C & I and on and on for traffic violations, Insurance would try and not pay?

Tags
tow, towing