Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #1

Towing 2015 Wrangler Unlimited

Hi, All,
I'm about to tow my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for the first time (first time this Jeep, have towed several other vehicles). Towing is becoming fussier these days, every year, new instructions. In manual, 12 steps to get ready to tow, 14 steps to undo it, and get ready to drive.

Has anyone had a problem with the getting ready and undoing on the 2015? I can just see myself get halfway through it, and the whole thing (drive line) falls out on the ground...now, whaddI do? I have helped with my part for years, but this is first time to do it all.

I really like the part that says: "Shift the transfer case lever to the desired position." Maybe they could tell you what that position might be.

So, anything to pay particular attention to? I'd like to hear that there isn't much different from previous Jeeps, just be careful and follow directions. I can do that .

Thanks, Boni
bonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #2

I have a 2014 Unlimited and yes you are overthinking it, it really is easy. Once you have done it a few times you will have it done in 30 seconds, even quicker to reverse the process. The part I go over several times is the actual hookup to the tow bar, to me that is the place that if distracted you could forget something really critical, oh and don't forget to release the emergency brake. Not that I have ever done that!😀
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #3

Yes, the comment about releasing the parking brake is like an afterthought in my manual. I have never left it on, but I imagine it can be a significant event.

I suspected I was over thinking this, but I really worry about underthinking it. It is such a big deal if anything is not right. We had 3 towing events in our towing history, and all of them resulted in towing with 1 towbar arm. Don't do it, you will not be happy with yourself.

Thanks for the answer. I am towing on Monday, so I have all day tomorrow to get it right, well up to the football games.

Boni
2006 Fleetwood Jamboree 26Q
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Blue Ox baseplate, Ready Brute towbar
Old 01-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #4

I copied the pages in the manual that detail how to put the transfer case into N, and then out of N back into 4H (this must be the desired position), and added it to notes in my phone. Many, many steps. I haven't towed the Jeep yet, but assume this part will become second-nature once you've done it a few times. I know people who scoff at this procedure, saying all you have to do is just pull it into N, but I sure don't want to take any chances. Better safe than sorry. I think the most important part is to make sure that the transfer case has completely disengaged (steps 6, 7, 8 and 9) before you hook up and go. But as DRL1950 mentions above, don't forget to release the emergency brake.

Your steering column doesn't lock, so no need to keep a key in or have it turned to the ACC position. The only draw on the toad's battery may be from a supplemental braking system unit.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I copied the pages in the manual that detail how to put the transfer case into N, and then out of N back into 4H (this must be the desired position),
Hi, Barmats,
You got me thinking because I knew nothing about the transfer case. I started looking, and now I know next to nothing about transfer cases. What I read is that for normal street driving, 2H is the desired position, 2 wheel high. 4H (driving all 4 wheels) is for slick conditions like moderate 4 wheeling. And, 4L is for extreme 4 wheeling.

And, now I have told you everything I know about transfer cases. Hope I didn't embarrass myself, but that's what Google told me. btw, I copied my pages also, and added a diagram of the transfer case 'knob' because I can't really see it.

Boni
Old 01-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonipie View Post
Hi, Barmats,
You got me thinking because I knew nothing about the transfer case. I started looking, and now I know next to nothing about transfer cases. What I read is that for normal street driving, 2H is the desired position, 2 wheel high. 4H (driving all 4 wheels) is for slick conditions like moderate 4 wheeling. And, 4L is for extreme 4 wheeling.

And, now I have told you everything I know about transfer cases. Hope I didn't embarrass myself, but that's what Google told me. btw, I copied my pages also, and added a diagram of the transfer case 'knob' because I can't really see it.

Boni
Oops... sorry, Boni - I meant to say 2H. Not 4H. So you are indeed correct. Amazing what difference one little number makes!
Old 01-31-2016, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonipie View Post
Hi, All,
I'm about to tow my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for the first time (first time this Jeep, have towed several other vehicles). Towing is becoming fussier these days, every year, new instructions. In manual, 12 steps to get ready to tow, 14 steps to undo it, and get ready to drive.

Has anyone had a problem with the getting ready and undoing on the 2015? I can just see myself get halfway through it, and the whole thing (drive line) falls out on the ground...now, whaddI do? I have helped with my part for years, but this is first time to do it all.

I really like the part that says: "Shift the transfer case lever to the desired position." Maybe they could tell you what that position might be.

So, anything to pay particular attention to? I'd like to hear that there isn't much different from previous Jeeps, just be careful and follow directions. I can do that .

Thanks, Boni
I sure understand the trepidation in flat towing your new, expensive vehicle for the first time. We felt it too. The system works well.

The process is easy. Start your Jeep, put the trans in N, pull straight back on the transfer case to 4H, then move the lever to the right and slightly pull back to N. To make sure it is in N, put the tranny into R then D and make SURE it isn't moving back and forth. SOMETIMES the transfer case will be in 4H or 4L and not in N. It is a tiny space for N. Once in N, put the tranny in P. Turn off engine and DONE! Easy.

The transfer case in a Wrangler is a full time 4WD system, not an auto all time 4WD system. If you are on dry pavement going straight ahead and pull into 4WD, you will do nothing to the drivetrain. Try and make a hard turn though and you will feel the front wheels bind. This is due to the locking of the transfer case to the front and rear. There is not a differential in the driveline to compensate like a full time 4wd. 4H and 4L are no different in operation but 4L has a much different ratio. This is for a more controlled navigation over very steep and/or rough terrain. If you have a lot of traction on a street, you should limit using 4H. Even when I am wheelin, I will stay in 2wd until I need 4H. You will know if you take your Jeep into severe terrain and need 4L.

Bill "WW"
Old 02-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #8

I'll add one thing. The desired position is only when unhooking and getting ready to drive. The REQUIRED position for towing is NEUTRAL in the transfer case. When unhooking, the terrain you are in, dry payment, snow, sand, slippery will determine whether you want a 2H, 4H, or 4L.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #9

We go one final check after hooking up the JKU, putting the TC in neutral and installing the Patriot braking box.

Once everything is done and we're ready to leave the DW goes to the rear of the Jeep and checks the lights. Then I pull ahead for a few feet while she makes sure the arms on the towbar are locked and the Jeep is pulling smoothly. Gives me a little peace of mind.

Tags
tow, towing