Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
so the only reason for a battery disconnect is because the electronics will run down the battery while the engine is running??? I wish ford would just tell you that in the owners manual
I do not know why they say to disconnect the battery. In my year's car (2008) they say to keep the car on accessory, which keeps a great deal of the electronics on, and I do this for hours at a time. So far, I have not run the battery down. (of course, I do not keep the headlights or radio on)

As for the tail lights, I bought a kit from Amazon. It had all the instructions to how to attach (and where) to the tail light wiring, and a 4 wire harness runs all the way to the front of the car, where it hooks up to a 4 pin flat so the MH can run the tail lights. Not any different than if I towed a small utility trailer with the MH.

Also, if you are required to disconnect the battery for the computer as you suggested, I have seen advertised in the past a solution that may work for you...

It was a small device that plugged into a cigarette lighter in the car with the battery disconnected. It also had a 9v battery in it. It provided enough power for the radio and clock presets to keep programmed, but not enough to affect much of any other systems. I used to see these advertised in magazines and on line from the various sources for my automotive accessories.

Perhaps you can look into a device of this sort. It will solve your preset problem when you remove the battery cable.

I personally would try to find out why the manual says to disconnect it before I chose to just not bother. There may be reasons we are unaware of... And those reasons may be to protect the computer, or may be as simple as they use a smaller battery in the newer model...

Good luck.

KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I was told by someone (can't remember who) that the reason for the battery disconnect was that if there is power to the transmission, there may be a possibility that it may jump into gear from the neutral towing position while towing.

Sammie

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I was told by someone (can't remember who) that the reason for the battery disconnect was that if there is power to the transmission, there may be a possibility that it may jump into gear from the neutral towing position while towing.

Sammie
Something like that would be disastrous and other potential "hidden consequences" has convinced me to follow Ford recommendation to disconnect the Battery. Sammie do you disconnect your battery and if so How do you do it --Is there any negative effects to disconnection (saved settings etc.)? -- do you have a charge line for battery?

Peter and Jan
2014 Canyon Star 3911
2016 Explorer MXV Braun Wheelchair coversion
Old 09-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrod View Post
Something like that would be disastrous and other potential "hidden consequences" has convinced me to follow Ford recommendation to disconnect the Battery. Sammie do you disconnect your battery and if so How do you do it --Is there any negative effects to disconnection (saved settings etc.)? -- do you have a charge line for battery?

Peter and Jan
2014 Canyon Star 3911
2016 Explorer MXV Braun Wheelchair coversion

Hi Peter,
There are no negative effects from disconecting the negative side of the battery. You can try it yourself while at home in your driveway. As a result of disconecting the battery you Will Not need a charge line for your toad. Here are a couple of pictures of my disconnect switch under the hood of my 2016 Explorer.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...84&ppuser=6863
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...83&ppuser=6863
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
We tow a 2015 Ford Edge....we disconnect the battery using this.

Radio stations need reset...everything else remains.
JillDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Hi Peter,
There are no negative effects from disconecting the negative side of the battery. You can try it yourself while at home in your driveway. As a result of disconecting the battery you Will Not need a charge line for your toad. Here are a couple of pictures of my disconnect switch under the hood of my 2016 Explorer.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...84&ppuser=6863
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...83&ppuser=6863
Sammie

That is great to hear about no negative effect given this statement from the owners manual

Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically-controlled by a computer, some engine control settings are maintained by power from the low voltage battery. Some engine computer settings, like the idle trim and fuel trim strategy, optimize the driveability and performance of the engine. Some other computer settings, like the clock and radio station presets, are also maintained in memory by power from the low voltage battery. When a technician disconnects and connects the low voltage battery, these settings are erased.

Part of my frustration is that I don't yet have procession of the Explorer and can't run my own experiments.

For brakes I will be using SMI Stay-in-play witch I believe takes its power from the toad primarily to maintain power to the unit in case of a breakaway. I believe I read that you have a Air force one and while the control unit gets power from the toad I don't think it draws much power and could go along time before draining a battery. I'm concerned that the stay-in-play unit drawing more power may drain battery on trips where brake are used a lot. Am I over thinking this?

Looks like I have to decide between a manual or remote disconnect. The ease of just pushing a switch sure is tempting.

Peter and Jan
2014 Canyon Star 3911
Old 09-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #21

Confusion

Thank you for your input for now I am going to have them install a battery disconnect switch so I can just push a button and start towing seems all so confusing
Old 09-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #22

I have the 2016 explorer and was confused by all the comments on weather to disconnect the battery or not. So I called Ford customer service and they said it was so the battery won't drain down. So just to reconfirm, I called again just in case, and was told the same thing. I asked if running a charge wire to the battery would work and they said that i would. So I'm going that route.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:37 PM   #23

I contacted Ford and received this reply:

My name is Jeffrey, I am from Ford`s Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I have reviewed your email inquiring about recreational towing on your 2017 Ford Explorer.

In an effort to assist you, I have escalated your inquiry to our Technical Subject Matter Experts (SME). We verified that not following the steps indicated on the Owner’s Manual may damage your vehicle. We recommend that you follow the appropriate steps and guidelines.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

So, it sounds like Ford's official position is that if you don't disconnect the battery and anything goes wrong (e.g., transmission jumps into gear while being towed destroying the transmission), Ford will not provide warranty coverage.

I think Ford is dropping the ball here by not simply letting its loyal customers know the reason for the required battery disconnect. Simple communication of this one simple thing would save an enormous amount of peoples time.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #24

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer and I disconnect the battery to tow. I used diodes for the lights which work off of the electrical connection from the motor home. Road master makes a remote battery disconnect switch with the toggle you can place on your dash. I don't have that yet so I manually disconnect the battery. The Explorer is easy to tow. Just run the trans through the gears and let it run for 5 minutes and off you go. Leave trans in neutral. Shut off AC, radio and all other electrical draws. So far no problems. Only the radio has to be reset after you reconnect the battery.

Gasman405
2014 Aspire DEQ
2016 Explorer

Tags
ford, tow, towing