Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Towing 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4 down

Surely there must be someone towing a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4 down?

Is your Jeep lifted or using oversized tires?

Are you using a stock front bumper?

If aftermarket Jeep front bumper, what brand and model?

What brand of Tow Bar are you using?

Is it connected to the coach or the Jeep?

If it is the coach type, are you using an offset receiver on the coach?

Been towing multiple Jeeps for eighteen years using the same Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar with Roadmaster XL Frame mounting brackets and using a Warn Rock Crawler front bumper. Don't get any good feelings from Roadmaster they have a mounting plate or a Tow Bar that will fit the 2016.

Any ideas? I would hate to end up having to trailer this Jeep because I cant find a suitable tow bar.

TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't have a 2016 Wrangler just a 2008 Wranger - I have stock tires and use a Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain Tow bar and until a few days ago the Roadmaster mounts. On Sunday I installed a Rockhard 4x4 Patriot Series Full Aluminum Bumper Rock Hard 4x4 Aluminum Patriot Series Full Width Front Bumper for Jeep Wrangler JK 2/4DR 2007 - 2016 [RH-5046] . Drilled a few holes for the Roadmaster light kit plug and RVi2 Brake break away connection. What I like is I have the Roadmaster mounts right on the bumper - no more locks, no more pins, no more putting the mount on the jeep - just hook up the end of the tow bar and connect the safety cables to the two D-rings and plug in the light connector and break away cable. Can't be any simpler. The Roadmaster mounts after using them for three years started to worry me as they were getting loose and quite frankly I got tired of the mounts rusting and the dirt. I have the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain Tow bar and am very happy with it. With the Rockhard bumper the Rockhard Roadmaster mounts are bolted directly to the frame and blend in with the bumper. I do have a 4 inch offset hitch so I get a level mount. I plan on getting a winch and some off road lights for the bumper in the future.
'

Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #3

Blueox baseplate and towbar with stock bumper or Rockhard bumper with Tabs for Blueox.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

I am towing a 2016 JKU using Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar (no offset receiver needed from my Sunseeker 3170DS) Blue Ox Baseplate, and Blue Ox Patriot braking system. JKU Black Bear Edition has stock bumper, tires and no lift
Old 06-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #5

May also want to check out the Jeep Wrangler Fourm for additional info.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDaveTX View Post
Surely there must be someone towing a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4 down? Not a 2016, but a 2012 which is the same body.

Is your Jeep lifted or using oversized tires? Not lifted, but slightly oversized tires.

Are you using a stock front bumper? I started with a stock bumper and a Demco base plate, then added a bumper and winch later.

If aftermarket Jeep front bumper, what brand and model? E-Autogrilles, bought through e-Bay.

What brand of Tow Bar are you using? Blue Ox Alpha

Is it connected to the coach or the Jeep? It stays on the Motor Home.

If it is the coach type, are you using an offset receiver on the coach? No offset needed as it sits perfectly level with the base plate.

Been towing multiple Jeeps for eighteen years using the same Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar with Roadmaster XL Frame mounting brackets and using a Warn Rock Crawler front bumper. Don't get any good feelings from Roadmaster they have a mounting plate or a Tow Bar that will fit the 2016.

Any ideas? I would hate to end up having to trailer this Jeep because I cant find a suitable tow bar. My suggestion is look at the RockHard and LoD bumpers. Both of them have direct tow connectors that bolt through the bumper directly to the frame. If I had it to do again, that's the way I would go.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12Wrangler-PortAransas.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	130959  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #7

Towing 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4 down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDaveTX View Post

Any ideas? I would hate to end up having to trailer this Jeep because I cant find a suitable tow bar.

I have been using my Roadmaster Stowmaster for 16 years, 4 years with a 12JK, stock bumper. The Jeep is proud to have it mounted out front at all times as the niftiest bumper ever. I would think the tow plates are available, but have seen others with this tow hitch on modified bumpers, some with big tires and lifted.
Best wishes

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #8

I am towing a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and we use the Blue Ox Aventa LX with a 4" drop bar. We had a Blue Ox baseplate installed with the tail light wiring kit and now I am preparing to order a RVI 2 auxiliary brake after much indecision on which brake system to install. I started to go with the SMI Duo, but just started having a "check engine light" coming on sporadically and did not want to complicate issues with my warranty.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

Just finished my set up. Blue OX base plate, tail light kit, ReadyBrutElite 2015 Wrangler 4 dr auto.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	130967  
Old 06-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Currie baseplate is popular. Tucks up well. Rockhard has bumpers set for flat tow connection.

I tow from the bumper. Best way IMHO if you are doing an aftermarket bumper anyway. Simpler and cheaper and no ground clearance concern.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #11

Surely there must be someone towing a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 4 down? 2016 JKU here

Is your Jeep lifted or using oversized tires? Standard Sahara tires

Are you using a stock front bumper? No, a RockHard aluminum full-width bumper (has tow bar attachment points)

If aftermarket Jeep front bumper, what brand and model? See above, bought here.

What brand of Tow Bar are you using? Blue Ox Aventa

Is it connected to the coach or the Jeep? Coach

If it is the coach type, are you using an offset receiver on the coach? No offset needed, heights are about 2 inches apart
Old 06-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #12

I just finished ordering this exact setup for my '16 Unlimited. If you are able I would LOVE some pictures / info on your cable routing for the ready brake elite and how you handled the cable sleeve at the front of the jeep. Did you also use their breakaway?

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Just finished my set up. Blue OX base plate, tail light kit, ReadyBrutElite 2015 Wrangler 4 dr auto.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
I just finished ordering this exact setup for my '16 Unlimited. If you are able I would LOVE some pictures / info on your cable routing for the ready brake elite and how you handled the cable sleeve at the front of the jeep. Did you also use their breakaway?

John
Ran the main cable about 6" to the left of the steering shaft. (shown in pic insul. mesh fabric)
The white wire near the brake pedal is tied in to the Jeeps brake switch then ran to a LED on my MH dash.
I don't see a brakeaway needed as my Jeep stops on it own with no throttle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0052 (2).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	131228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	131229  

Name:	IMG_0050 (2).JPG
Views:	50
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	131230  
Old 06-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This has turned out to be quite an adventure, more so than the 1999, 2003, or 2012 Wrangler. Talked to Warn about bumper, and unlike the 2012 and back where Roadmaster make a base plate for the Wrangler/Stowmaster for the Warn Rock Crawler Bumper, for 2016, Warn's recommendation is the Warn Elite series bumper, although fitment for the 2016 is not listed on Warn web site. Roadmaster says they make a base plate kit for the 2016 Warn Elite to use the Roadmaster/Stowmaster tow bar. Finally located a Warn Elite front and back bumper and began search for the mounting plate. This is where I hit a curve! Local warehouses in my area did not stock the correct Roadmaster mounting plate. Called Roadmaster and after some back and fourth was told that they did not have the particular base plate in stock at this time and would be at least three weeks out! So on to Plan "B", change bumpers, or tow bars.

After many good suggestions on this BBS, I ended up ordering a RockHard front and rear bumper for the 2016 Wrangler. They explained their mounting method for towbar mounts is the extreme of simplicity. Two tabs that mount through the RockHard front bumper to the frame, but the mount will not work with the Stowmaster since this bumper mount will not work on tow bars that remain on the tow vehicle, only bars that remain on the toad. So I ordered a Blue Ox tow bar. So bumper was shipped from Nebraska, the Lift Kit from California, and the tow bar from Amazon [who knows where], I just hope all these parts arrive when they are supposed to arrive, or I may have to resort to Plan "C", trailering.

I found this adventure enlightening and frustrating. Not sure what the Roadmaster Stowmaster mount kit cost, but Roadmaster indicated it would take two to three hours to install. From installation instructions, it appears to have roughly 50 pieces in the kit. The Rock Hard bumper I ordered is aluminum and weighs 100 lbs less than its steel counterpart, cost about the same as the Warn, and the Blue Ox tow bar mount mounts in about 5 minutes with four bolts and sells for $69.95 and does not take a degree in mechanical engineering to mount.

Although I ended up buying a different tow bar, it cost me less than it would to have installed the Roadmaster Stowmaster I already had.

TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing