Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

Towing

I am looking to buy a tow vehicle and a tow bar package with a breaking system. Any recommendations?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Rather depends on your money, mechanical ability, and what you want to do with your toad. Don't tow more weight and length than you need, unless you already have it and don't intend to tow it too much. Buy used, there's lots of well depreciated but very usable tow bars and braking systems out there, and toad potentials galore. if you love wine shopping, any sedan might work. Small pickups work great with that bed for hauling bikes and other toys and stuff. I love my 2000 Blazer ZR2 two-door for off-roading in some mild terrain. My Blazer is short and light enough I can get a two-ship jetski trailer behind the it and tow the whole mess behind my 40'DP and still be under the magical 65' length limit. It all depends....

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend the NSA ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake! Rated at 8000 lbs, easy to use, simple to install. I would use the NSA breakaway kit also!

We love our Honda CRV AWD! You can flat-tow these up through the 2014 models, NOT 2015 and after!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Look in the Classifies section of this site and buy one of the used ones available there. I like the Blue Ox Aventa LX, but the Roadmaster All Terrains are good too.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=jackchaten;3098152]I am looking to buy a tow vehicle and a tow bar package with a breaking system. Any recommendations?[/QUOTE

Since this is a very common subject, your best bet would be to do a search...but first you need to know the language so that you can ask the right questions.

A "tow vehicle" is one that is doing the towing....such as a truck or motor home.

A "towed vehicle" is one that is being towed by the tow vehicle. More commonly referred to as a "toad" (play on words).

Jeeps are probably the most common towed vehicle, with Honda CRV's second. After that, there are many others that will fill the bill. You just need to know what you want to use the toad for when it is not being towed. Next you need to know what your motor home is rated to tow and purchase a toad that is well within those ratings. Along that same line, a tow bar will also need to be within the ratings of the weight of the towed vehicle. Common tow bar systems are: Roadmaster, Blue OX, Demco, and as Joe mentioned above the Readybrute Elite that has the braking system built in. All the others you will have to purchase the braking system separately.....and there are many of those to choose from.

You can see my signature below to see what I am using.

As I first mentioned, do a search on toads or towed vehicles and see what comes up. Probably a whole lot!!

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
jackchaten

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackchaten View Post
I am looking to buy a tow vehicle and a tow bar package with a breaking system. Any recommendations?

I didn't notice that this was your first post!

Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
post me a pm (private message) if interested in a solid 2013 equinox for a toad....i have too many cars!
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymyst View Post
post me a pm (private message) if interested in a solid 2013 equinox for a toad....i have too many cars!
Equinox is an excellent toad.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Evening - I bought and installed the Blue Ox BX7370 Alpha Tow Bar with Autostop Brake. Installation was straightforward and instructions well written.

Safe Travels!

2016 Outlaw Josey Wales 38RE #2630
crey0517 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow