Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing 4 down application list

Hope everyone has been doing good, getting rid of the Dolly, need Application list for safely towing 4 down, been OFF LINE for a bit. I can smell Spring is coming, can't wait. Happy Motoring and travel safe.
David G.

justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motorhome Magazine has a pretty complete list. You can find them on line. What's your toad?

Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
He's asking for a toad recommendation.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
He's asking for a toad recommendation.
Thanks, and yes I'm looking to see what kind of Toad I can tow 4 down. Sure would like to find one that already has the Baseplate attached. Any recomendation's on Tow Bar brand ??? I really don't preferr to leave it on the coach when not using.
Thanks for info about towing, seems like I had a list several years ago, but really don't know where it is now. Travel safe,
david G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
This might help:
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/Din...-Towing-Guide/
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
look for the king of 4 downs, the Jeep. I traded an 03 off for my 11 and it had the base plate on it, but that was in November so I'm sure it's gone.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a 2011 Chevy Equinox AWD and have a Blue Ox set up. Fits perfect, tows great behind our Monaco Camelot 2006. It is factory approved for flat tow 4 down. Blue ox equipment is carried on the MH, the Chevy looks like it has nothing on thr front. The tow bar is easily removed, if you want it off, but we have it covered when parked.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #8

Well David, I to would probably go with the Jeep line. But most of the four wheel drive vehicles that you can put the Transfer case in netural can be towed four down. One overlooked is the little Chevy Tracker, 4X4. It is light and could make an excellent toad. The list is long, Honda CRV is a popular vehicle.

One of the things I don't like is haveing to pull fuses prior to towing. Our 2006 Jeep liberty I didn't pull any fuses and it towed great. Also pulled a ford explorer, had to take it to ford and have a netural tow kit installed cost about 100.00 at the time.

Some other things to think about, you'll need a tow bar, I use a Falcon 2 rated at 6000 Lb. Also something to think about is a braking system of some type, several are available. I picked up a Blue Ox, brake in a box that I have used in several vehicles for 350.00 off E-bay, or was it Craigs list, can't remember. Then also you will have to wire the vehicle for brake lights/turn signals, etrailer.com has some good instructional videos for installing wiring system, base plates for the toad and tow bars.

This is our current toad, a 2011 Dodge 1500 4X4 with an electric shift transfer case so setting up to tow is easy. Turn the key on don't start the engine, step on the brake put the trans in netural, press the button on the dash, the light blinks and then glows steady red, when that is done the transfer case is in netural. Turn the key off, put the shifter in park, install your brake in the box, and you are good to go.

Here is a link to etrailer.com where you can view some videos on various installation procedures.
Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924

Hope this helps
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Remco has a very comprehensive list of towable vehicles.
www.remcotowing.com/vehicles
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #10

We've been towing a 2000 Saturn LS2 with our HR Vacationer. Just switched over to our regular vehicle, Honda Pilot, because we wanted a larger vehicle, even though it is twice as heavy. The Saturn was an easy pull and is in good shape and we are getting ready to sell it. Blue Ox baseplate already attached, also wiring for lights. We're near Griffin/Jackson, Ga. if interested. Can email at still_krazi@yahoo.com
Old 01-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd jump on the Saturn that's set up with base plate. They tow well 4 down.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing