Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #15
Commercial Member
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote "The only best way is the one that is best for you, and don't let anyone else decide for you."

Sequim Guy I agree with you 100%. There are "easy" vehicles to flat tow and there are hard ones. Mine is very easy to flat tow and requires no modifications. We have a Chevy Colorado 4wd equiped with the Unified tow brake so there is no braking system to install each time. What works for one may not work for someone else. Thanks for your service to our country.

Wayne Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #16
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing 4 down v/s Dolly.

Well both have their advantages

Dolly towing you need not modify the towed car in most cases.. And it is very easy to change toweds. HOWEVER.. there are some downsides too.

First and foermost is "What do I do with the dolly when parked" Depending on your motor home and the RV park this can be an issue.. Where I'm at now. not so much but in some cases it's major.

Second... Hookup is a lot "Trickier" and more work, You have to drive on square, and strap it down,, Then you have to drive a bit and re-check the straps.

Finally stopping... You have brakes on the motor home, and on the dolly, but NOT on the other two wheels on the car, so this increases your "Skid distance" should you panic stop.

Towing 4 down.. You do have to modify the towed (Add brakes, base plate and some kind of tow-light or diode system) thus makes it more expensive to change towed.
Plus you may need to make "other" modifications (Lube pump, Axle lock or drive shaft disconnect)

But hook up is fast and easy You need not be "Square" at hook up and ALL wheels brake when you stand on them.

Given a choice.. i'd 4-down.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #17
Thanks for that link to Acme, Sequim Guy. I guess I need to get a front-axle weight on the Sedona to be sure it's 3300 pounds or less. and confirm the rating on the hitch. The price of the dolly is about half what modifying the Sedona for 4-down would cost.

There are no placards on it any place, and nothing in the documentation that came with the rig.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote

dolly, towing