Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Towing 4-down with automatics

Hi all,

It seems as though the main reason why a lot of automatics and some manual cars are not allowed to tow 4-down is because the transmission will overheat. now, this may be a dumb question, but what if you leave the ignition on and in neutral. Will the transmission overheat as well?

Sounds crazy, but has anyone tried this?

Tom
pip8688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have heard of some towing with the engine running and and the transmission in neutral. If you do this, you need to check with the manufacturer to see if this will provide lubrication for the transmission. Also be a good idea to have some sort of light or alarm that would indicate if the car engine shuts down.

Generally, idling for prolonged periods will tend to soot the engine and possibly wash the cylinder walls with excess fuel (not so bad on the newer engines).

Best thing to do is use a dolly.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Certainly ok for an emergency.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The reason you can't tow 4 down some automatic tranmssion equipped vehicles is since the engine is not running the transmission receives no lubrication, thus burning up. The pump is normally driven by the torque converter which is attached to the flywheel and thus not turning without the engine turning. Some transmissions get lubricated from the driveshaft turning, thus allowing the vehcile to be towed 4 down.

Your theory of starting the engine, leaving it on and putting the transmission would probably work. However, so would the odometer... and the engine. The cost of mileage added to the vehcile, the wear and tear on the motor, and the cost of fuel would probably be more than it would cost to add a external pump to the transmission!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer is "It depends on the car" however this I do know, from experience:

REMCO TOWING (google them) sells some very nice hardware,, 3 items

RWD cars can use a Drive Shaft Disconnect.. this is a cable operated "Clutch" type device (Spline clutch I suspect) which when activated is the same as dropping the drive shaft. You tow with the transmission in PARK.

Axle Lock: I know the technology here, it's older than I am (I'm 60) and the mean time between failure is grater than my age as well.. This is a slightly different type of clutch which goes on one of the axles on a Front Wheel Drive car. You reach behind the wheel and "Twist" the drum on the thing with an oil filter wrench and it effectively "Breaks" the half axle (unlocks it) so the wheel turns free, the other wheel turns the gears in the differential and the result is you again tow in PARK.

Finally (And this fits all automatic transmission cars) they sell a lubrication pump, this pumps trans fluid through the trans just like the pump on the main shaft so the trans thinks it's coasting along with the engine running in neutral, you tow in Neutral with this one. My reason for not liking it as much as the clutch devices is that like all active devices the mean time between failure is much shorter. and if for some reason you don't catch the failure in time.. new tranny time.

With the clutch devices.. Well.. I have heard about Drive Shaft Disconnect issues, but I very strongly suspect these were due to failure of the installer in most cases.

However, check out these devices. Chat with some folks who have them (I had the axle lock and was very impressed with it) Around 500 bucks no matter which way you go plus installation at least six years ago that was the price.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks guys for your input. I know its crazy and would not do it, but I have 2 BMWs(X5 and 5 series). I don't want another car just to tow. X5 is a No-no(AWD) and 5 is rear wheel drive. I checked remco and they do not make DSC for BMW. Cannot dolly since its a rear wheel drive.

Tom
pip8688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #7

4down

I had same problem. As stated some cars can be pulled 4 down. Went out and got a 01 Honda Accord (not much money) and we tow it 4 down with no problems.
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You could get a flat bed trailer rather than a tow dolly. That would solve your problems but be a bit of a pain to deal with in the campsite.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't waste your vehicle with an experiment.

Some vehicles are safe to tow with all four down, some are iffy and some are a definite no.

We tow a Honda CR-V which is safe to tow. The owner's manual promotes towing it with instructions on How-To...

Each year there is a list in the Motohome Magazine for Dinghy Towing

Look up the year reference for the dinghy year you have.

Dinghy Towing, Flat Towable Vehicles, Dinghy Towing Guides - MotorHome
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing