Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #1

Towing 4 up/ Jeep Renegade

So I was the idiot who thought the Jeep Renegade would be the perfect toad and trusted a salesman who was either dis-honest or did not know what he was talking about. Now I am thinking or buying a small car hauler type trailer(16 foot) and towing my renegade on it. The car/trailer combo will be under the towing capacity of my fleet-wood Terra but mine Motor home is a Gasser. Was looking for opinions on using a trailer as opposed to flat towing or dolly towing and also pros and cons. I have a Chevrolet equinox as well but we are going to the mountains and i really want the 4 wheel drive capability of the renegade for the snow. I am also thinking of putting it on the trailer until we reach Charlotte then unloading it and having my wife drive the jeep for the climb up into the mountains. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #2

Sorry to hear--"cant pull a JEEP 4 wheels down--that's un-American." Might be the worst of all worlds--some 4-wheel/all-wheel drives cant be dollied nor can you use a drive line disconnect???????

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt72 View Post
The car/trailer combo will be under the towing capacity of my fleet-wood Terra but mine Motor home is a Gasser.......... I am also thinking of putting it on the trailer until we reach Charlotte then unloading it and having my wife drive the jeep for the climb up into the mountains. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
What grade are you so concerned with that you think you'll need to unhook the trailer/Renegade?
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The downside is, not all RV parks or campgrounds will have room for a trailer and it's just something else to deal with.

I presume the Jeep will be able to tow it's own trailer, at least to the storage area and back, where one is provided.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We we had a gasser we pulled a Colorado Crew (4200#) all over the USA without any problems. We never unhitched for a grade. If you got and aluminium trailer you'd probably would weigh less, and you wouldn't be much longer than a flat tow (for pull-thrus)
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You won't be able to use a Dolly, a trailer is your only choice. I have towed a trailer for the last 12 years and have only had to disconnect the trailer a couple of times at a campground. You just have to plan ahead for sites you will fit in. A 16' trailer is more length than you need but 14' trailers are not as common.
I flat tow and use a trailer depending on what I am towing. In my opinion the trailer is a little more work but is easier to tow and I can backup. I suggest a trailer with brakes on both axles and 16" wheels.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Weigh the Renegade in its ready to travel mode, loaded with all the stuff you need to put in it. My 16' steel car trailer weighs about 1500 lbs. An aluminum car trailer will weigh less, but costs a lot more. You may only have a 5K hitch with a 500 lb. tongue load on your MH. Will you exceed that load limit? A trailer will add about 10 to 15% (of the trailer weight) of tongue weight to the MH. Will you exceed the tongue weight requirement? Will you exceed the MH'S rear axle weight limit? The overhang length amplifies the tongue weight onto the rear axle.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:54 AM   #8

Thanks

Thanks for all the help. I definitely have a lot of work to do between now and then.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:30 AM   #9

Have your thought about just biting the bullet, and getting rid of the Rengagde? I know it could be hard to digest at first, but in the end maybe you'll be better off.

I would also suggest talking to the dealership where you bought the Renegade, and seeing if they would cut you a deal on a Jeep that is towable..... And if they won't help, try another Jeep dealership to see if they would.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #10

Make sure you check out several trailer manufacturers. Weights vary widely depending on the construction, length, and purpose. I have a 14' steel trailer originally built to haul construction equipment. It has a 10,000 lb. capacity, and brakes on all 4 wheels.

It does an excellent job hauling anything from a tractor to a Bobcat. The only downside is that it weighs 2,100 lbs. Adding that weight to a 3,000 to 3,500 lb. Jeep would put you well past the towing limits of the motorhome.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Have your thought about just biting the bullet, and getting rid of the Rengagde? ...
If it were me, this is what I'd at least attempt. Perhaps go back to the dealership that "helped" you make the mistake in the first place, ask to speak to the general manager and perhaps you could make a deal on a Cherokee or Wrangler. A two door Wrangler, for example, won't be much bigger, physically, but a whole lot easier to set up and tow.

I'm thinking for the price of an aluminum trailer, perhaps less, you could get out of this and into something else.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing