Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2017, 07:21 PM   #15

We tow an Equinox FWD at 3600 lbs which fits between the 26,000 GCWR of our Bounder and the 22,000 GVWR.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #16

2006 Jeep Liberty behind my W22 Workhorse has 25,500 gross weight. Liberty is a great toad but does weigh in at 4,010 lb
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:57 AM   #17

I have a 2012 Ford Escape and it says in the owners manual that I can tow it four wheels down. But after checking around with Ford and talking with folks at Revco, Ford is having problems and is not recommending 4 down. I heard Ford has come out with a trans cooler to try to help with the problem but this is just (maybe) a rumor. I can't afford to risk it, too expensive if it burns up.

I was pretty disappointed I couldn't pull it so I bought a tow dolly and after two pulls I sold it and bought a new Ford Focus that can be pulled 4 down and it's an automatic. Setting the Focus up to pull has been a real learning experience with having to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and seeing the number of ways it can be or not be done. It shouldn't be this hard..... Good luck!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:06 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Your Escape can be towed that way but there are requirements that need to be followed. While towed the transmission fluid gets hot and is not circulating through the cooling system. There is an aftermarket pump system that does circulate the trans fluid while being towed. There is likely information in your owners manual on how to flat tow you Escape. BTW I am a Ford dealership service manager.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:55 PM   #19

I tow a 2011 Ford Edge, warm up to operating temperature, put in neutral, accessory mode on ignition , parking brake off and go. But I have a 2006 DSDP with 10,000 lbs. towing capacity. Ford Edge is the only Ford product that Ford says can be towed with 4 wheels on ground. A lot of our Camping group who have Gas units and 5,000 lbs capacity are very happy with the Honda CR-V. But as stated above if it doesn't say it in writing in the owners manual don't believe anyone on their say so.
CaptainDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:36 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, the Jeep Wrangler (manual)
ph7ptzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:45 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, the Jeep wrangler is popular. Manual transmission. Ours is about 3600 lbs. Real easy to install surge type break system. We have a Blue Ox tow system where force of jeep pushing on hitch during stop mechanically pulls cable physically connected to keep brake peddle. We are rated for 5000 lbs tow. No problem flat tow. Put transfer in neutral, transmission in 1st, dummy key in ignition to unlock steering, e-brake off and off you go. We can connect in 2 minutes and disconnect in 1 minute.
ph7ptzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDavid View Post
I tow a 2011 Ford Edge, warm up to operating temperature, put in neutral, accessory mode on ignition , parking brake off and go. But I have a 2006 DSDP with 10,000 lbs. towing capacity. Ford Edge is the only Ford product that Ford says can be towed with 4 wheels on ground. A lot of our Camping group who have Gas units and 5,000 lbs capacity are very happy with the Honda CR-V. But as stated above if it doesn't say it in writing in the owners manual don't believe anyone on their say so.
Ford and others have several models of vehicles that can be towed. I think 2012 was the last year for Escapes. I have read about the non hybrid Escapes having issues with transmissions if the transmission fluid level wasn't perfect.

Look for the towing guide for the year car that fits your needs. Get a good brake system and TPMS.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #23

Hello...I have a 2013 Rubicon jeep. Steering wheel does not lock. Therefore you are able to tow it. Make sure your transmission is in park and the transfer case is in neutral (automatic transmission)
jaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:09 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have 2 suggestions -- stay under the max weight allowed, way under if possible. Your gasser will like you better on steep grades

And ... check the classifieds here on IRV2 for vehicles already set up to tow. You'll have plenty of other things keeping you very busy in the weeks and months to come.

http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/showcat.php?cat=22

If you want any info on the lightest toad I'll be happy to advise you of why a Smart Car makes a great toad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:12 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Jeep Wrangler manual transmission. Easiest to hook up and tow and where thr road ends the fun begins. Get a soft top and go topless.😎

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-01-2017, 02:14 AM   #26

REMCO Industries Towing. Website or by phone for information on what can be towed. We tow a Ford Edge. The procedure is simple and in the manual.

40' DP: 2008 Itaska Ellipse TD.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:25 AM   #27

Google dinghy towing with the year of the Ford you have. If can't then Google it with the year u want to buy
evergreencub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by acraig106 View Post
Greetings,

My wife and I will be going full time Feb. 1st next year. I have a 2003 Mountain Aire 3778. It is gas, with an 8.1 L Chevy Workhorse.

What kind of vehicle can we pull 4 wheels down. I currently have a 2013 Ford Escape, all wheel drive. Our local Ford dealer says it can't be towed this way period.

Was wanting some input from those with practical experience and if it can't be done, what would the recommended vehicle be.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. We appreciate it.
We have an 06 Allegro with the Workhorse chassis and tow a 1999 Malibu, we don't even know it's behind us unless you want to back up!
baer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing