Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #1

Towing 4 wheels down

We just got a 30' 2005 Winnebego Sightseer and I am looking for advice on a tow vehilce. I have a 2002 F150 Lightening that I am going to sell and want to find a smaller truck like a Ford Ranger or Toyota Tacoma to use as a tow vehilce. Would like to stay with an automatic trans for the wife but not sure If I have to have a manual trans or 4WD to tow without issue. Please advise on best options. Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go to the FMCA site, click tow 4 down. More info then you want to sift through. Pick the year you want to buy and they will show the choices.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #3

There are several options but I'll mention the easiest solution. Having been there and done that as they say I'd suggest this.....since you are buying with the option of 4x4 or not - choose 4x4 WITH NEUTRAL IN TRANSFER CASE. Believe it or not, some do not have that option. It was a surprise to me after being use to my Jeep Wrangler. ...dah....on my part. I'm sure you'll get many other pieces of good advice on here but from a ease of operation I vote for 4x4 with transfer case with Neutral position. :-)

By the way, we've been looking for the 30' 2005 Winnebago! LOl
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tow a 2003 Ford Ranger 4X4, 5 speed. Ford says that the automatics are NOT towable without a driveline disconnect or a transmission pump. The transfer case in the Ranger is not able to be put out of gear but Ford says it is towable as long as you stay 55 or below. I think this is kinda low as I tow between 55 and 60 with no problems so far.

I do have a friend I met in Florida this past winter that tows an S10 on a tow dolly BACKWARDS! He is a full timer and says he has done this for years.

Oh, by the way Toyota says none of the Tacoma trucks are towable 4 down.

burfurd
Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #5

The chev colorado, gmc canyon, dodge dakota 4x4's are all towable four wheels down.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #6

I tow a 07 ford ranger 4x4 automatic that I tow 4 down. I had to install a neutral tow switch but they are cheap, easily installed and work fine. There are no speed limitations.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a chevy colo. fwd crewcab,no steering wheel lock,no need for batt. disconnect just hit transfer case n , trans in park, connect tow bar, plug in air force one and go, no hassles
Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

See the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide

If you are a Ford guy and like the Ranger, the 4WD automatic is towable but the 2WD version is not. So is the 4WD version of the F150 automatic.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by srydve View Post
I tow a 07 ford ranger 4x4 automatic that I tow 4 down. I had to install a neutral tow switch but they are cheap, easily installed and work fine. There are no speed limitations.
Sent you a private message on the neutral tow kit. Same required here....of course Ford isn't making it now.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #10

I just went thru this exercise. I wanted a 4x4, pickup, crew cab and midsize, not full, to tow 4 down. Chevy Colorado/GMC equivalent trans can be towed without driveshaft disconnect, but the resale and reliability wasn't what I wanted. (others may like it, I didn't)

Toyota Tacoma requires driveshaft disconnect. Toyota does not offer leather interior, sunroof and is very limited in options, packages only, and price is at top of scale. Resale is good, but I can't get the options I want.

Nissan Frontier has leather interior, sunroof options I want are available. Ride is rough. It is definitely a truck ride and is uncomfortable for me.

Ford Ranger does not offer crew cab, only available in extended cab, not really 4 passenger capable. Ford did offer a Sport Trac up until 2010, but the transfer case requires a special switch and reprogramming the computer. Local Ford dealer advises he can't get switch, but could look for one on the dealer network IF someone had one. Might be an option, but way too much fumbling around to maybe get a system that worked.

Do your research with Remco or Roadmaster regarding driveshaft disconnects, transfer cases, and models which have base plates available. I finally determined that it wasn't worth $35,000 to me to buy a new pickup, pay taxes and license, and outfit to tow. We bought an additional car that had already been outfitted for towing. It will cost much less per year.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
I just went thru this exercise. I wanted a 4x4, pickup, crew cab and midsize, not full, to tow 4 down. Chevy Colorado/GMC equivalent trans can be towed without driveshaft disconnect, but the resale and reliability wasn't what I wanted. (others may like it, I didn't)

Toyota Tacoma requires driveshaft disconnect. Toyota does not offer leather interior, sunroof and is very limited in options, packages only, and price is at top of scale. Resale is good, but I can't get the options I want.

Nissan Frontier has leather interior, sunroof options I want are available. Ride is rough. It is definitely a truck ride and is uncomfortable for me.

Ford Ranger does not offer crew cab, only available in extended cab, not really 4 passenger capable. Ford did offer a Sport Trac up until 2010, but the transfer case requires a special switch and reprogramming the computer. Local Ford dealer advises he can't get switch, but could look for one on the dealer network IF someone had one. Might be an option, but way too much fumbling around to maybe get a system that worked.

Do your research with Remco or Roadmaster regarding driveshaft disconnects, transfer cases, and models which have base plates available. I finally determined that it wasn't worth $35,000 to me to buy a new pickup, pay taxes and license, and outfit to tow. We bought an additional car that had already been outfitted for towing. It will cost much less per year.
I've thought about buying another vehicle but I'm not taking that route unless all else fails. Main reason for that decision is that I just sold my Wrangler to my son and now I'm scratching my head. My reason at the time was that I didn't want the maintenance on the 3rd vehicle....so, I'd have to think the same way now or else admit I'm just stupid.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In addition to the FMCA 4-down list,, Check our your choice of car at Remco Towing as well.. Googlle for them.

Remco has products that make many "Can't be towed" into "Can be towed"

The drive shaft disconnect, (or axle lock on front wheel drive) turns your car/pick up/van into a trailer.. And as you know trailers are towable.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #13

be careful if you buy a ranger I bought a 2010 4x4 automatic Ranger last fall the Dealer was sure a neutral tow kit would be availalbe this spring.
There is one available but Ford has changed the wiring harness on the Ranger it is missing a green connector and service department was able to insatll it the service manager is trying to find a way to make it work but no luck yet.
So I have a vehicle I bought as a tow vehicle that cannot be towed
Old 05-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #14

Anyone pulling a full size truck?