Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #1

Towing 5200 lb chevy pick up truck --can I tow with gas class a?

I have a new georgetown xl class A gas on the ford 24k gvwr chassis.
Stated maximum tow weight is 5000.

Anybody flat tow a half ton pick up ( with an auxiliary braking unit in the truck) with this rv chassis?

I think ford rated the f53 24k chassis for 6000 lbs?

In any case, the pick up weighs just over 5000 lbs.

APPRECIATE ANY INPUT!

Thanks

Tom voll

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #2

Tom
Because you are right on the cusp of max tow weight, you need to have the truck weighed in the same condition you would be towing it. Fuel tank full, any cargo you plan to carry in it etc. If there is a significant addition to the weight you may have a problem. But you need the weight first.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup - you need to find a scale. Ford may have rated the chassis for 6k lbs but they have absolutely NO way to know how much of that was taken up by the coach builder, and then how much of what was left was taken up by the dealer, and you when you loaded your "stuff" into the coach.

Similarly, the truck weight is probably the "unladen" weight - only a scale will know how much weight you and the dealer added to the bare truck.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #4

If the truck is already at your hitch weight limit, adding the towing system and aux braking systme will run you past it by a couple of hundred pounds.

On the other hand, my uncle used to tow a TT of about 2400 pounds behind an Austin A55 car with a 1500 cc, 55 HP engine. They went all over Europe, including the Swiss Alps and Germany's Black Forest for better than 20 years. Sure, they were slow on the climbing grades, but that TV never let them down.

In our litigious society, I suspect that if you're even 100 pounds over your TV's limit and get into a wreck, you're in deep dreck.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
If the truck is already at your hitch weight limit, adding the towing system and aux braking systme will run you past it by a couple of hundred pounds.

On the other hand, my uncle used to tow a TT of about 2400 pounds behind an Austin A55 car with a 1500 cc, 55 HP engine. They went all over Europe, including the Swiss Alps and Germany's Black Forest for better than 20 years. Sure, they were slow on the climbing grades, but that TV never let them down.

In our litigious society, I suspect that if you're even 100 pounds over your TV's limit and get into a wreck, you're in deep dreck.
The rules are different over there. They are required to get additional license endorsements at 7700 lb GCVW. As well there it is illegal to exceed the GCVW.

All vehicles and trailers have their maximum authorised
mass (MAM) defined on a plate.Vehicles either show
the maximum weight that can be towed or the gross
combination weight of car and trailer, which allows
you to work out the maximum towing weight.
N.B:
Exceeding the towing capacity or the payload
of the vehicle may be considered an offence under
the Construction and Use Regulations. It may also
invalidate the vehicle insurance and any warranty on
the vehicle, as well as increasing the likelihood of
a mechanical fault
Old 06-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The receiver hitch is probably the OP's first limiting feature, because most gas Class A motorhomes have a Class III (5000lb) receiver.

If I recall right, the 24k lb F53 has a 30k lb GCWR, so as long as the OP is not over the GVWR, like said, they could tow a load weighing up to 6000lb, but should upgrade the receiver to Class IV.

See:
Trailer Hitch Classes Review | etrailer.com

We have peers here that tow full sized pick-ups behind gas powered motorhomes, so I am sure it can be done. And please get auxillary brakes for the truck. They are not required in many places, but is safe and smart.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolk View Post
I have a new georgetown xl class A gas on the ford 24k gvwr chassis.
Stated maximum tow weight is 5000.

Anybody flat tow a half ton pick up ( with an auxiliary braking unit in the truck) with this rv chassis?

I think ford rated the f53 24k chassis for 6000 lbs?

In any case, the pick up weighs just over 5000 lbs.

APPRECIATE ANY INPUT!

Thanks

Tom voll
To answer your question yes but you will know its back there, I pulled a ford expedition behind a 37ft v-10 gasser for years.

Tags
chevy, class a, gas, towing