Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

Towing a 06 Jeep Commander

anyone flat towing a 06 jeep commander 4x4 behind a motorcoach? we are new to this experience so am looking for input. thanks
wca46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #2

Commanders were introduced the year I retired from Chrysler, so I'm not even sure what transfere case they were equiped with, but all the info should be in the owners manual, about restrictions, I remember Quadra -Track transfere cases had some problems.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wca46 View Post
anyone flat towing a 06 jeep commander 4x4 behind a motorcoach? we are new to this experience so am looking for input. thanks
I tow a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 which is basically the same running gear. I forget the names of the different systems available but mine has the Quadra Drive II system with the ability to put the transfer case into 4hi, 4lo or Neutral. If your Jeep has the little silver "T" shifter to the right of the transmission shifter you are all set.

You will need a supplemental braking system as you are probably at 5k pounds or higher. I use roadmaster MX base plates so I don't have to use a cross bar for my motorhome mounted towbar. I installed them myself in an hour or so but I'm fairly mechanically adept.
Confusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #4

A word of warning on Jeep Commanders and Jeep Cherokees. I have a 2006 Commander and have loved it except for this new problem. Since the N23 recall done last year, owners are experiencing problems switching to 4 wheel Low or Neutral. (Chrysler insists they are not related) You get a "4 wheel system needs servicing" message. Then there is nothing you can do except take it to a dealer and have the computer reflashed (one hour and $90). Has happened to me twice. Of course you discover it when you are hooked up and ready to roll. Not many owners use this system so it is not a biggie for Chrysler.

On a minor note, expect to replace all of the interior door handles.

More about both of these issues on jeepcommander.com
tom2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusion View Post
I tow a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 which is basically the same running gear. I forget the names of the different systems available but mine has the Quadra Drive II system with the ability to put the transfer case into 4hi, 4lo or Neutral. If your Jeep has the little silver "T" shifter to the right of the transmission shifter you are all set.

You will need a supplemental braking system as you are probably at 5k pounds or higher. I use roadmaster MX base plates so I don't have to use a cross bar for my motorhome mounted towbar. I installed them myself in an hour or so but I'm fairly mechanically adept.
An hour to install the base plates? Wow...I need to hang out at your garage. I am embarrassed to say it took me most of a day to get the fascia off, connect the base plate and run the wiring and get it all back together. I though I was ok mechanically but I have a new, lower opinion of my skills! at least nothing has fallen off (yet)!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I am towing an 06 Commander. As mentioned above, they came with two transfer cases, one of which has a neutral and can be towed. The other transfer case does not have a neutral and, therefore, cannot be flat towed. When I test drove ours I went through the process of putting it in neutral to make sure.

Also mentioned above is the N23 recall. If it has been done the jeep may not shift into neutral or low range. There is a thread on this issue on this forum. According to the thread, Jeep has recognized the problem and there is supposed to be a fix. Another thing to be aware of is that they are not at all fuel efficient. Ours has the Hemi and gets terrible fuel mileage.

Now to the positive side. It tows great, is easy to get into the tow configuration, it will carry 5 adults and two kids (or small adults) in the back. We carry our golf clubs and bike gear in the back. A good balance of off road and luxury. We really like this car.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Commander and Grand Cherokee have the same tranny. Shift into neutral and your good to go. I have a hemi in mine and I get great mileage. But only when being towed by my DSDP.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Commander and Grand Cherokee have the same tranny. Shift into neutral and your good to go. I have a hemi in mine and I get great mileage. But only when being towed by my DSDP.

come to think of it, you are right! I get great mileage when I tow mine as well! Looking at it that way, I might be better off towing my RV with the Commander...wouldn't that make a great Jeep commercial?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Here is my post about the N23 transfer case neutral problem. Post #35 in this thread has a 'quick' fix by pulling a fuse.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-...ml#post1934301
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote