Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I hardly see what I said as "a very dangerous statement". First of all, the original poster was talking about light weight toads. Sticking with just cars and not trucks and suv's(which I dont consider light weight), I would say that 5 GM cars and two Saturn cars represents "most" of their light weight car line. I am also pretty confident that someone isnt going to go out to the GM dealer and buy any car off the lot as a four down towable toad without checking to see if it is towable just because I said that "most, if not all" of them are!! My statement also said there are many others that are towable either with modifications or with standard shift as verified in the '07 dingy guide.

Speaking of the motorhome dingy guide, the '07 version starts off with " A Vintage Year of Dingy Vehicles" "Over 100 new models certified for flat-towing."
I'd say that gives someone a pretty good selection of vehicles, of all weights and sizes.
Mike

ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:
I hardly see what I said as "a very dangerous statement". First of all, the original poster was talking about light weight toads. Sticking with just cars and not trucks and suv's(which I dont consider light weight), I would say that 5 GM cars and two Saturn cars represents "most" of their light weight car line. I am also pretty confident that someone isnt going to go out to the GM dealer and buy any car off the lot as a four down towable toad without checking to see if it is towable just because I said that "most, if not all" of them are!! My statement also said there are many others that are towable either with modifications or with standard shift as verified in the '07 dingy guide.

Speaking of the motorhome dingy guide, the '07 version starts off with " A Vintage Year of Dingy Vehicles" "Over 100 new models certified for flat-towing."
I'd say that gives someone a pretty good selection of vehicles, of all weights and sizes.
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, you didn't qualify your statement about small - and IMO even that statement would be incorrect as it leaves out several small GM products.

Second, 100 out of how many cars available on the market? And how many of those are SUVs (well above the small you claim to have silently qualified your comments with) and how many are MANUAL transmission only? OK, I'll go and count them. 51 are only towable in manual transmission mode - about half. The list is also wrong thanks to Ford screwing up. It left off the Edge and Mk X (and probably Mk Z) - and even when I phoned them they said NOT TOWABLE. Since then Ford has revised the manuals for the Edge and Mk X (and perhaps the Z but I haven't looked at that one) and now clearly say towable. If they had not botched this I'd have a Mk X now instead of the Tahoe. Over the past year I've spent a lot of time on "toads" and it looks like I'll do that again shortly. We figure the Tahoe is fine to tow to Florida for the winter, but for short trips and sightseeing trips something much smaller would be preferable.

I'd still not make any assumptions without a lot of investigation. Even when something is towable you can get a lot of headaches before the correct towing method is resolved - such as with the Outlook and the Acadia. Further, I'd take a look at the installation instructions for baseplates at BlueOx and others and check on how much surgery is required to get the plates on.

Don

Old 08-03-2007, 04:46 AM   #17

I think (or sure hope so!) that anyone considering a $400K class A is smart enough to truly study which car is suitable for 4-down towing! But, my common sense theories have let me down in the past!

I think MOST people do this: pick a car/SUV/Truck/whatever they like, THEN study to see if it is towable. IF not, move on to selection #2. #3, etc. That's what we did.

Prior RVs: Avion travel trailer and Itasca Horizon class A
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #18

2007 Mini 6 SPD, no problem. I've had a 2003 Acura TLS, a 2005 Acura MDX, and the Mini S. I would take the Mini over anything I've owned as a toad, as well as a daily driver.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #19

I would like to private email anyone who currently has a 07 Mini Cooper 6 spd as a toad.
We are in the process of having the roadmaster tow bar installed on our 07 Mini and I have questions about how you handle the push/start. If I am reading the manual correctly we should put the car in N and push the key fob in...is this correct...will this not run the battery down. Thanks for any help offered
Old 03-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #20

2012 Mini Clubman toad

Lee & Kathy - we are getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2012 Mini S Clubman 6 speed. How did your issue work out with the start button? One thing I forgot to do while at the dealer was try to turn the wheel w/o the key in place. I also wonder if anyone out there has a mini toad with the convenience package that allows driving/ starting the vehicle with key in pocket. Probably NOT a good idea to get into the habit as you may forget to leave key in Mini, which might do all sorts of nasty things, the least of which would be activation of alarm on inclines.

Anyone else towing a '12 Mini? Sure would like to hear from you.