Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredBob View Post
Paz, the fuse in my '07 Vue is a 30amp maxi-fuse. The only holder I could find was at NAPA and it had 6 guage wires attached--couldn't find spade connectors that would fit #6. Did you find a fuse holder with smaller wires (e.g., #10)?

Thanks.
The fuse holder I used is rated for 30 amps, but it was not for the maxi 30 amp fuse that was originally in place. The new fuse holder takes a standard-size (ATO/ATC) 30 amp automotive fuse.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #16
paz

Quote:
Paz, the fuse in my '07 Vue is a 30amp maxi-fuse. The only holder I could find was at NAPA and it had 6 guage wires attached--couldn't find spade connectors that would fit #6. Did you find a fuse holder with smaller wires (e.g., #10)?

Thanks.
The fuse holder I used is rated for 30 amps, but it was not for the maxi 30 amp fuse that was originally in place. The new fuse holder takes a standard-size (ATO/ATC) 30 amp automotive fuse.

I did find spade connectors for heavier wire, but I don't remember where - maybe Lowe's or Home Depot. If you can't find connectors that will accept the larger diameter, you can always solder them onto the wire. Just be sure the joint is well insulated with some heat-shrink tubing. I don't trust electrical tape to stay in place with high under-hood temperatures.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #17

Thanks for the info. Are you saying it's okay to substitute a standard size 30 amp fuse for the maxi-fuse?
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #18

Buy the #6 wire ring studs and cut them to look like a spade connector wide enough to fit into the slots in the fuse block. They will work fine.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
paz

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Are you saying it's okay to substitute a standard size 30 amp fuse for the maxi-fuse?
I don't see a problem as long as it has the proper rating. The maxi fuse is generally a heavy duty usually available from 20 to 80 amps, and the standard ATC fuses range from 1 to 40 amps, so 30 amp is closer to the top of the range.

Both fuses have the same descriptions (fast acting, 1kA interrupting rating) in the Bussmann fuse catalog. Both have enclosed housings to protect from sparks.

In-line holders for maxi fuses are listed in the Bussmann catalog, but I've never seen them at any local stores. That's the reason I went with the ATC fuse and holder. Been using it for 4 years with no problem.