Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Towing a 07 Saturn Vue

The book says pull the accessory fuse, former owner said never pulled anything because he didn't want to keep re-programing the radio. Anyone towing a vue?

howie-2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I pull an '08 Saturn Vue and pull the fuse each time. The purpose is to prevent draining the battery and prevent the speedo, from adding mileage, because it is electric. I have never had a problem, with the radio.

Roland

Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I pull an 07 vue hybrid. I run a hot wire through the umbilical cord to keep a charge in the battery and don't pull the fuse. If you don't run a charge wire and forget to pull the fuse, your battery will be dead at the end of the day. However, miles don't accrue, the fuse turns off things like the little lights on the power window controls.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I pull an '07 Vue. I pull the fuse and I have never had a problem with loosing the radio programming. Maybe he was pulling a different fuse. The correct one is under the hood. It is the second one back on the right as you are looking at it. It is green and it is 30 amp.

Be sure to keep a spare or two in the glove box. Those little suckers can be slick and tricky. When they fall down they never go all the way to the ground. (Go ahead, ask me how I know.) Since I have had spares I have never dropped another one. Isn't that the way it is supposed to work?

p.s., I have seen one Vue owner put a toggle switch on the inside of the dash to interrupt power to the fuse instead of having to pull it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
paz

I have an '06 Vue, which is the same as the '07. I replaced the fuse with an in-line fuse and switch so flipping the switch is the same as pulling the fuse. The radio maintains its memory.

Once I forgot to turn the switch off. The battery (which was older) was dead when we got to our destination.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the replys..... I guess I'll pull the fuse. Sounds easier.
howie-2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #7

I know when towing a Saturn Vue, it is suggested to pull the ignition switch fuse every time.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I have an '06 Vue, which is the same as the '07. I replaced the fuse with an in-line fuse and switch so flipping the switch is the same as pulling the fuse. The radio maintains its memory.

Once I forgot to turn the switch off. The battery (which was older) was dead when we got to our destination.
Hi, just how did you replace the original ATO (?) fuse with an inline fuse and switch? This sounds like a very good solution and I would like to do this also. Are there adapters that can be plugged into the fuse box that make this simple?

Thank you,
Dan

Toad 2005 Vue
Old 08-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGarcia View Post
Hi, just how did you replace the original ATO (?) fuse with an inline fuse and switch? This sounds like a very good solution and I would like to do this also. Are there adapters that can be plugged into the fuse box that make this simple?

Thank you,
Dan

Toad 2005 Vue
There is a thread on this forum called "Fuse Switch" that discusses commercially-available switches, and there a couple of links to sources.

I made my own with components available at Walmart and/or an auto parts store. Just make sure the wire, fuse holder and fuse you add is rated to carry enough current for the fuse you are replacing. I used standard male spade plugs to plug into the fuse holder where the legs of the fuse went. Protect the wire with a rubber grommet where it runs through the metal of the firewall. I poked a hole in a larger, existing rubber grommet. Also make sure the in-line fuse you add is on the hot side of the fuse holder. Otherwise, the switch won't be protected from shorts when it's off.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #10

OK, thanks for the information. One last question. I have not been pulling the fuse and of course the battery dies. I am wondering if the battery will stay charged with the fuse pulled, but using the Vue battery to power my Brake Buddy? Anybody have any experience with this. Maybe pulling the fuse and using a charger?
Again thanks,
Dan
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Brake Buddy use is very sparse & only for a few seconds each time it needs to cycle. Have driven 8 hour days with no noticeable drain of Toad's battery. In my case 4-door Saturn SL.[8 years and going]; BTW, leaving all fuses intact.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGarcia View Post
OK, thanks for the information. One last question. I have not been pulling the fuse and of course the battery dies. I am wondering if the battery will stay charged with the fuse pulled, but using the Vue battery to power my Brake Buddy? Anybody have any experience with this. Maybe pulling the fuse and using a charger?
Again thanks,
Dan
I use a Brake Pro (similar to Brake Buddy), and the battery in the Vue never goes dead while towing unless I forget to flip the switch that I installed so I don't have to pull the fuse.

As 62Morgan says, the motor on the Brake Buddy only runs intermittently. I even have my Brake Pro set to activate only with hard braking of the motorhome, which means I may slow or stop dozens of times and the toad brakes may only be activated once or twice.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #13

If you choose to pull the fuse, you will find it a little dificult to get a good grip on. I put a wire tie on the fuse and I have a good handle to grasp. You can also put a length of electrical tape around the fuse and leave tabs that you can tug on to remove the fuse. It also makes it harder to lose. I made a switch for my Vue but pull the fuse in my Outlook. I pull both (at different times of course).
Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post

I made my own with components available at Walmart and/or an auto parts store. Just make sure the wire, fuse holder and fuse you add is rated to carry enough current for the fuse you are replacing. I used standard male spade plugs to plug into the fuse holder where the legs of the fuse went. Protect the wire with a rubber grommet where it runs through the metal of the firewall. I poked a hole in a larger, existing rubber grommet. Also make sure the in-line fuse you add is on the hot side of the fuse holder. Otherwise, the switch won't be protected from shorts when it's off.
Paz, the fuse in my '07 Vue is a 30amp maxi-fuse. The only holder I could find was at NAPA and it had 6 guage wires attached--couldn't find spade connectors that would fit #6. Did you find a fuse holder with smaller wires (e.g., #10)?

Thanks.

RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote