Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Towing a 08 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

I was wondwering if anyone on here tows one and what equipment you went with. I'm not sure how the braking systems work with the hydroboost unit. My other option would be our Honda Civic on a dolly.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

2008 Monaco Diplomat SKQ
Serpa69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Smile

Hello Jason:

The last three GM SUV’s I towed have had Hydra Boost brake system. I use the M&G tow brake system M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page on them and I have never had any problems in over 60,000 miles of travel. I know there are a couple of other brake systems out there that will work but I have not used them.

I use the Roadmaster Blackhawk 10,000 lbs tow bar and I can not say enough about how well it is made. The wife and I were rear ended will towing our 99 GMC ¾ ton Suburban (7200lbs). We were traveling 55 mph and were hit by a vehicle traveling over 80 mph. The Suburban was totaled and the Roadmaster Blackhawk tow bar looked like an “S” but it did not collapse and the Suburban bumped into the back of the Motorhome causing minimal damage to the MH. We were able to continue on our trip after we emptied the Suburban.

All I can say we were lucky with no injuries to us or our pet Lab, Paloma, and only minor injuries to the other driver.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpa69 View Post
I was wondwering if anyone on here tows one and what equipment you went with. I'm not sure how the braking systems work with the hydroboost unit. My other option would be our Honda Civic on a dolly.

Thanks in advance,
Serpa69..we also have an M&G system. We tow our 2006 Chevy half ton VortecMax crewcab behind our 2007 Monaco Diplomat 40' SFT. You should have no problems.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Hello Jason:

The last three GM SUV’s I towed have had Hydra Boost brake system. I use the M&G tow brake system M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page on them and I have never had any problems in over 60,000 miles of travel. I know there are a couple of other brake systems out there that will work but I have not used them.

I use the Roadmaster Blackhawk 10,000 lbs tow bar and I can not say enough about how well it is made. The wife and I were rear ended will towing our 99 GMC ¾ ton Suburban (7200lbs). We were traveling 55 mph and were hit by a vehicle traveling over 80 mph. The Suburban was totaled and the Roadmaster Blackhawk tow bar looked like an “S” but it did not collapse and the Suburban bumped into the back of the Motorhome causing minimal damage to the MH. We were able to continue on our trip after we emptied the Suburban.

All I can say we were lucky with no injuries to us or our pet Lab, Paloma, and only minor injuries to the other driver.
Dave,
Thanks for the link, that looks like a great product. Sorry to here about your accident, glad everything worked out alright in the end (no pun intended).

2008 Monaco Diplomat SKQ
Old 09-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'd be careful, your vehicle has an Allison transmission. If you have electronic shift you don't have a neutral. I know that transmission should not be coasted let alone towed.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I'd be careful, your vehicle has an Allison transmission. If you have electronic shift you don't have a neutral. I know that transmission should not be coasted let alone towed.
I am not sure this is an accurate statement. You can find towing instructions from a GM Owners Manual on page 373 or 374 of this PDF ...and GM does not mention that it is not applicable with the Allison transmissions.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It has the Allison and has an electronic shift transfer case but it also has a neutral for towing according to the owners manual. I guess I'll have to look into this a little more but thanks for the heads up.

2008 Monaco Diplomat SKQ
Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
I am not sure this is an accurate statement. You can find towing instructions from a GM Owners Manual on page 373 or 374 of this PDF ...and GM does not mention that it is not applicable with the Allison transmissions.
I'm not to sure this is accurate information, What I said was be careful and do check it out. I had a Duramax/Allison albeit a 2004. You will have to check the Duramax/Allison supplement that you get with the diesel engine not the regular owner's manual.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The 4WD trucks are towable 4 down, 2WD trucks are not. My owners manual says they can be dinghy(spelling) towed behind a RV. Just not sure how well thats going to be on the running gear after time.

2008 Monaco Diplomat SKQ
Old 09-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
So what they are saying is the transfer case takes care of the driveline disconnect. Sounds like your good to go. I guess none of this back and forth has really answered your original question "has anyone towed one?" Maybe we should get back on track for you........
Anyone??
Old 09-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
Commercial Member

I'm looking in my '09 2500 HD (4x4) Owner's manual where it specifically discusses "Recreational Vehicle Towing" on pages 4-46 and 4-47. The 4WD 2500HD can be towed 4-down. The 2WD 2500HD CANNOT be towed 4-down. The procedure to tow the 4WD is to place the vehicle in Park and the transfer case in Neutral, and the key in the off and key-removed position. (There is no steering wheel lock.)
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #12

If you have 4wd and put the transfer case in Neutral you will be fine this is what i have to do when i am towing around the farm
NOTAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpa69 View Post

Thanks in advance,
If you would like to compare products your coach is pre-wired for the Unified tow brake system by US Gear. I see mostly US Gear and M&G users on this forum.