Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club
Towing a '09 Toyota Venza

Editor: I realize this should probably be in he tow section but I'm hoping someone out there can give me an answer who reads the Class A sight.

Question: We have a '09 Toyota Venza V-6 and want to make it our toad behind the DP. Does anyone on this site tow one of these and what did you have to purchase and from whom? I've called the top three tow bar manufacturers and they don't make face plates for this model.

Any suggestions other than a tow dolly?

chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
From the 2009 Toyota Venza User's Manual,
Your vehicle is not designed to be dinghy towed (with four
wheels on the ground) behind a motor home.

You will have to use a towing dolly. AWD will have to be on a flat bed. 2WD can be dolly towed with the front wheels off the ground.

jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks but I have already read the manual about towing. Very brief at best from Toyota.

I was hoping that there was someone out there with the same problem and many times RV'ers can find ways to do things a lot easier than some engineer. One of my questions would be why can't I tow the Venza? Is it a problem with the transmission oil circulation or is the front of the Venza not suitable to mount face plates? I know about tow dolly use and I prefer not to use one. Hopefully someone will jump in to this misplaced ad that can offer me some guidance.

Thanks for the reply, of course.
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Per the manual and REMCO Towing Products, front wheel drive can not be towed 4 down.
Store : Remco

Sounds like you plan to try towing it anyway, but I'd follow the manufacturers recommendation. They have engineers to design the product even if you disagree with them.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We looked into towing a Toyota Venza a few years ago, it may have even been in '09, and if I remember correctly, when we asked the dealer about it he printed out something off his computer that basically said it could only be towed in an emergency and then only in limp mode, stating that maximun speed could not exceed 35mph and to not tow for more than 30 minutes without stopping and starting the engine and letting oil circulate in the transmission for 5 minutes. In other words they really weren't promoting towing. And this was for all Toyotas, not just the Venza, and needless to say we decided to look for something else. I would not risk the expense of repairing a car that I may damage after being told by the manufacturer and companies that make towing accessories that it's not possible to tow the vehicle I was hoping to tow. I understand that you already own a Venza and so you would like to tow it, we were lucky in the regard that we didn't own a vehicle we wanted to tow and so we were looking for 1 to purchase. Good luck in your decision and if you do find a way to tow the Venza let everyone know, I'm sure there are others that would also like to do it if it proves to be possible to do!
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Yes, there is a way to tow the Venza IF you can find a baseplate to fit. It's very simple, you start the engine, place the transmission in neutral, release the parking brake. The engine at idle will consume approximately .2 gallon of fuel per hour and all towed miles will show on the vehicle odometer. You will also need a proportional braking system that is designed for vehicles with electronic control braking systems. ("RViBrake2" can be set up this way) By using this method the automatic transmission fluid is kept circulating thus lubricating and cooling the transmission.

HOWEVER this type of towing does present some serious issues. SAFETY CHAINS OR CABLES MUST BE USED. A BREAKAWAY SAFETY SWITCH MUST BE UTILIZED IN THE VEHICLE BRAKING SYSTEM. If the vehicle engine should shut down for some reason then transmission damage will occur almost immediately.

I wish you lots of luck in this endeavor, if it were me I would find another vehicle that is already flat towable.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote