Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #1

Towing a 1996 Blazer backwards on a tow dolly

is this possible? my son-in-law going to FL and needs to tow his 96 blazer but he doesnt want to take off the drive shaft - can he put the blazer on backwards on the tow dolly instead? Thanks for any help or ideas!
alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
is this possible? my son-in-law going to FL and needs to tow his 96 blazer but he doesnt want to take off the drive shaft - can he put the blazer on backwards on the tow dolly instead? Thanks for any help or ideas!
I don't see why not? I use to flat tow mine by removing the rear shaft so in reality its the same thing.(result) and as others mentioned tie strap the steering wheel so wheels stay straight cause it don't have steering lock
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #3

How do you know if the front wheels are completly straight in this configuration? Just a thought, Never tried it.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well it has a locking steering column so that helps. Way back when........I drove Police wrecker and of course civil business also. When I had to tow backwards I had a piece of rope that I would double around a steering wheel spoke then slam it in the door between the door and windshield frame and tie a big ugly knot in it so it could not pull through.
Never a problem, would not bother me to do it today.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #5

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would wonder what the king pin angle for the steering would be with the rear elevated on a towing dolly? How would the steering be secured?

No suggestions, sorry, just curious....

SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The caster & camber are set for the auto going forward not backwards, that said.....go forward and let go of your steering wheel, now same speed in reverse and let go, your auto will go one way or the other when going backwards. Try it......my thought was that the old tow trucks did it and also some today, I still say it can be done for short distance's, steering tied down with ratchet straps, might be hard on the tires on a long trip though.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #7

Thanks Everyone for your advice, I will let him all about these issues and he will decide what to do. Thanks again!
alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If the blazer is 4 wheel drive, you'll do serious transmission/transfer case damage towing with the front wheels on the ground. Why not just disconnect the drive shaft and tie it up to the frame? Only 4 bolts and maybe 15 minutes.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #9

Retired Fire Service RVer's
The kingpin angle, aka steering axis inclination, is the primary geometry to make a vehicle tend to self center towards a straight path while rolling forwards. Elevating the rear wheels for short duration tow with the steering wheel locked or secured into a "straight" position is possibly NOT quite the same thing as a long duration tow with the vehicle rolling backwards. Seems inherently unstable to me...just sayin'!

SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #10

Back in 1998 my DW had a blazer when we purchased our 1st motorhome. All dealer and tow dolly manufacturers said no to towing on a dolly backwards. Said heaviest side of vehicle must be on dolly. I traded for jeep grand Cherokee and never looked back. BTW, the blazer had a transfer case with no neutral so it could not be towed 4 down whereas jeeps can.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
The best advice is to check the owners manual. Chevy includes a section on recreational towing that will tell your son-in-law how to tow the vehicle. If he does not have a manual, tell him to call the nearest Chevrolet Zone Office.

It the Blazer 2WD or 4WD? If 4WD and the transfer case has a neutral, you can tow it 4-down. If no neutral on the transfer case, you definitely can NOT tow it with 2 wheels on the dolly and 2 wheels on the ground.

If 2WD - rear wheels on the dolly might work. Like I said, check the manual.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #12

Why not just rent a car hauler trailer? Much safer IMHO.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Everyone for your advice, I will let him all about these issues and he will decide what to do. Thanks again!
Don't know what coach he has, but knowing GVWR, GCWR, tongue Wt, tow capacity, brakes and tow lighting components need to be factored in the equation. Good luck. Perhaps he is savvy in all the aspects of towing and has everything under control, Just a thought.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
American Coach Owners Club
Towing Vehicle backwards on tow dolly

2013 Cadillac Escalade manual (pg10-90) recommends towing backwards on tow dolly for RVs. We have towed Lincolns, Tahoes, etc., backwards for years. Never a problem except for slightly accelerated front tire wear.
TexMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow dolly, dolly