Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #1

Towing a 2011 Cadillac SRX

Looking to buy a 2011 cadillac srx. Can a front wheel drive and a AWD be towed behind my motorhome.
ken bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It should tell you in the owners manual if the vehicle an be towed 4 down. My guess is NO, I was at an RV rally last month and met a couple that just bought a 2013 SRX to tow behind their coach, it has a button that disengages the transfer case.This is the first year for this feature from what I understand. But I would check the owners manual to be sure.
To answer your question about towing FWD or AWD, it depends on the year and model of the vehicle, some can and some cannot be towed.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2005 Cadillac CTS, rear wheel drive. The manual said no, but we installed a transmission pump on the "sealed" transmission and it has worked fine. The only problem was the battery would run down after a few hours on the road because you have to leave the key in the unlocked position to allow the steering wheel to free play, but this problem can be solved as well. The transmission pump was expensive but this allowed us to use our high mileage Cadillac we bought new instead of buying a "towable" vehicle. I don't know about a front wheel drive. You don't see many Cadillac's used as toads, but it worked in our case. You might look for a late model rear wheel drive?
Parkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Call Cadillac to confirm. We have a '13 2wd and it tows great. The only issue I have heard of with towing is the turbo versions which have a different transmission, they cannot be flat towed.

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #5

Yes. Those fine folks at Cadillac did something really cool in 2010. Right under the shifter boot (accessed by curling your fingers at the back of the boot and lifting, you will find a small, white, recessed button (upper right under boot). If you hold down the button it will release the transmission lock and you can shift it into neutral without the ignition on. Viola - that's it - you're done. Just make darn sure you get it in neutral (next to last position) not drive, as you will not have any indicators to tell you where you are. When you arrive, shift into park and start the car as normal.

As there is no steering lock, you don't have to leave the car in accessory position or anything. No battery drain except for any brake system you install. No fuses to pull. You can find the info in your Cadillac owners manual and it specifically refers to "four down recreational towing". If you can't find it, the dealer can print a service bulletin that specifically refers to it.

BTW, Blue Ox installed our tow plate on our 2012 SRX and it is remarkably tidy and unobtrusive.

From what I've read of people's experiences with other cars, this is remarkably simple. And you get to drive a Cadillac

One last thing - when you look at brake systems, be aware that the only accessory socket that remains "hot" 10 minutes after the car is shut off is the one all the way at the rear. So if you need a 12V socket, you'll either have to run a new one or buy a LONG extension cord.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #6

I tow a 2011 SRX. I use a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar and a Roadmaster Invisibrake. I had the brake controller installed in the compartment under the cargo compartment floor. The air cylinder is mounted under the carpet between the driver's seat and the door. It keeps the battery charged and provides vacuum to the power brake booster.
andiscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #7

The only "gotcha" that I know of is the 2010 Turbo versions. They had a different transmission and were not towable. We tow a 2013 SRX.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #8

Read the Cadillac manual here. Select 2011 and SRX model. It is in section 10-102.Link
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing