Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim fm ct View Post
Fran,
I didn't look at the ST. I thought the MPG would not be great. But what the heck. I should at least check it out.
Tim, here is a Ford Focus ST forum that has 47 pages of real-world gas mileage. I get about 27-31 mpg, but I do mostly country driving (20 miles between traffic lights and speed limits of 55 mph or less). The Focus ST comes in 3 trim levels and ranges from about $23K to $30K without incentives. I have an ST3 with all the bells & whistles, including moon roof.

Real world Focus ST Fuel Mileage Thread

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim fm ct View Post
Thanks for the replies. We like the Focus but not sure about the towing procedure. If disconnecting the positive battery cable is easier and is the same as the negative cable, wonder why they didn't specify disconnecting the positive one?
We have the Brake Buddy Vantage Ultra (?) or something like that and need the 12 volts.
It seems that there is quite a market for towable cars. We like the Chevy Cruz too but that automatic is not towable.
Both the Focus and Cruze make manual transmissions but only basic models.
Can not find either one (2012-2013)with manual transmission, sunroof and a few goodies.
Don;t you think focused advertising in Motor Home mag or Trailer life would be fruitful for them?
Disconnecting the positive terminal is somewhat more risky. You will be exposing the positive terminal of the battery if you don't do it properly and if it comes in contact with any grounded part of the car, you'll get some fireworks. Disconnecting the negative cable obviously doesn't create that risk. However, take care to protect the positive battery terminal from a short to ground, it won't be an issue. And, getting to that negative cable, at least on my 2014 Focus Titanium Hatchback, is a real bear. If you do choose to disconnect the negative side, don't mistake the negative jump connector attached to the body next to the battery as the battery terminal. Just disconnecting that connector from the body will not remove power from the vehicle. You must remove the connector from the battery terminal itself.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Why not just wire an outlet direct to the battery for the toad brake power? The rest of the car is still disconnected via the chassis ground removal, but the one outlet (or a direct wire to the toad brake) would still work fine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #18

Towing a 2012-2013 Ford Focus automatic

For information on towing the Ford Focus, go to Tiffinrvnetwork.com and type in the search section, "towing Ford Focus". I just had my 2014 Focus hooked up for towing. U.S. Gear Techs recommend disconnecting the positive cable and hooking it up to a disconnect switch. completely Isolating the chassis from battery power. You will turn the power off
after following the manufacturers instruction to ready the transmission for towing. The battery is still available to power your braking system. Mine also has a charge line from my Motorhome. With the positive cable disconnected from the chassis, no power is available to the transmission which will keep it from engaging. When I turn the power switch back on, allowing power to flow to the chassis, everything comes back on normally except for the trip meter mileage odometer. I have the Titanium, keyless model. Hope this helps. If you wish to contact me, feel free to send me an email at 1151topper@gmail.com.
sbranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bluegrassrv : what happens if the focus becomes separated from your coach? No power no brake.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gary RVRoamer: That is what I do and I use a charge wire from the coach to the focus battery. I am planning on install a switch in the coach to separate the batteries when parked for the night.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #21

Only the chassis is without power because of the control switch. But twelve volt power is still available to power the braking system from the car battery.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sbranen: The problem with disconnecting the positive battery cable is if you drop a wrench and it shorts the positive battery post and the ground bad things will happen. I use a small ratchet wrench and it takes about two minutes to disconnect both battery cables, doing the ground first.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:59 PM   #23

Towing a 2012-2013 Ford Focus automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Sbranen: The problem with disconnecting the positive battery cable is if you drop a wrench and it shorts the positive battery post and the ground bad things will happen. I use a small ratchet wrench and it takes about two minutes to disconnect both battery cables, doing the ground first.

I never use a wrench to disconnect the battery. The twelve volt cable runs to a permanently mounted switch which allows me to disconnect the power cable from just the chassis. The US Gear brake is still receiving power from the battery, completely separate from the chassis. The ground cable remains connected.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:03 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Personally I find hooking up that heavy falcon tow bar to be more a pain then disconnecting the battery.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:08 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbranen View Post
I never use a wrench to disconnect the battery. The twelve volt cable runs to a permanently mounted switch which allows me to disconnect the power cable from just the chassis. The US Gear brake is still receiving power from the battery, completely separate from the chassis. The ground cable remains connected.
I like that. But, man do I hate buts, If the transmission went south, will ford honor the warranty if I dont follow the manual.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:46 AM   #26

I don't quite understand the problem with disconnecting the negative battery terminal on a Ford Focus. I am 64 years old, am disabled with hereditary spastic paraplegia, and I have no difficulty removing the negative battery terminal. It takes far longer to connect the tow bar and the rest of the cables used for towing. There is a plastic cover over the battery. When I am towing, I just remove that plastic cover, throw it in the trunk, and go. The terminal is easily accessible with a wrench. When I get home, the plastic cover goes back on, although I really see no need for it. Again, I use a portable battery like this one to power my Patriot Braking System.

Schumacher 1800 Peak Amps Jump Starter and Portable Power Unit PSJ-1812: Upgrade with the best Battery Chargers & Accessories at Advance Auto Parts

It really is not difficult, even for me.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:23 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Me, I just look for a better way to do things. Been towing my focus about 15000 miles and I wonder about wear on the battery posts. The only problem I have with using a portable battery for the brake is charging it. I like to boondock and prefer not to run the generator.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #28

We just returned from our vacation to Angels Camp California, pulling our 2014 Ford Focus Titanium. When we arrived at our camp site , disengaged the car from the Motorhome and within minutes, drove it away. We put well over two hundred miles on the car without a single problem. We pulled it home and it is still working great. The only thing lost was our odometer reading each time I disconnected the positive side of the batter using the disconnect switch. Our electric brack worked perfectly and our battery was fully charged upon our arrival. I would recommend the Ford Focus as the ideal tow vehicle. We are very please with our system.

Tags
ford, towing