Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #1

Towing a 2012 Wrangler or newer 4 wheels down

I have moved the baseplate from our 2010 Wrangler to the 2012 Wrangler. We tow the Jeep four wheels down. I read somewhere that you no longer have to leave the key in the "on" position with the 2012s. That the wheel no longer locks in position which is the reason you need to leave the key in the ignition in "on" in the 2010 Jeep. Since you don't have to leave the key on, you also don't have to remove a battery cable when towing, (i.e. worry about the battery discharging).

Anyone know? If I don't need to leave the key on, I don't need to disconnect the battery and it makes the entire hook up and unhook process easier.

BTW, the owners manual has the same instructions in it that the 2010 does however, clearly, the wheel is not locking up when the jeep is off and the key removed.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #2

Not 100% sure about your wrangler but my 07 grand Cherokee does NOT have steering lock. Just put transfer case in neutral and roll. No unhooking power cable or fuses either. Believe there was recent thread about this and I'm pretty sure it said no longer have steering lock. Remove your key and turn wheel back and forth. If it doesn't lock that way you should be good to go.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

My toad is a 2012 Wrangler

You have it correct.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
My toad is a 2012 Wrangler

You have it correct.
Just to confirm what it is that is correct.....

This is an accurate statement?

"I don't need to leave the key on, I don't need to disconnect the battery."

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You don't need to leave the key in your 2012, and you didn't in your 2010 either. Jeep stopped installing steering wheel locks sometime in '07-'08. We had a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara before our Liberty, and it did not have a steering lock. No steering wheel lock, no key, no battery disconnect.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
You don't need to leave the key in your 2012, and you didn't in your 2010 either. Jeep stopped installing steering wheel locks sometime in '07-'08. We had a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara before our Liberty, and it did not have a steering lock. No steering wheel lock, no key, no battery disconnect.

Actually I have a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport in addition to the 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. And sorry friend but you are .........[wait a sec]

(Maybe I better just run out to the garage and confirm that the 2010 locks the wheel)

Well son of a _____. The 2010 does not lock. Dang! For two years I thought that wheel locked up but you are right Diver, it does not lock.

Well.. you learn something new every day even if it takes you a couple of years to learn it. LOL

Okay, thanks.

Roll
Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Must have been 07 as my 07 GC does not lock.
chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Must have been 07 as my 07 GC does not lock.
chad
Now that I think about it, I think it was a mid-year change in '07, as I've seen postings from various '07 Jeep owners on both sides of the fence. Some had the lock, some didn't.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
What kind of brake system will you be using? Some of those draw power from the toad battery.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
What kind of brake system will you be using? Some of those draw power from the toad battery.
I use the Blue Ox Patriot Brake System. It does require a 12V power outlet. Since I was disconnecting the battery in the 2010 Jeep, (wasn't aware I didn't need to do that), I had a 12V power outlet installed that was powered through the umbilical cord from the coach.

I had already moved it from the 2010 to the 2012 Jeep before I discovered I didn't need to leave the key in the Jeep.

So I'll still be powering the brake system from coach power.

Roll
Old 06-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Running power from the coach is probably the best solution in any case. Our SMI Air Force One only uses the toad battery when in break-away mode, so I'm not worried about it. Been towing with that brake system for 5 years, no problems.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #12

So why is it the Jeep manual states you need to leave the key in the on position and disconnect the battery?

It's clear you don't need to leave the key in the Jeep, is this just a failure to update the manual from years ago?

Roll
Old 06-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
is this just a failure to update the manual from years ago?
Yup.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I use the Blue Ox Patriot Brake System. It does require a 12V power outlet. Since I was disconnecting the battery in the 2010 Jeep, (wasn't aware I didn't need to do that), I had a 12V power outlet installed that was powered through the umbilical cord from the coach.

I had already moved it from the 2010 to the 2012 Jeep before I discovered I didn't need to leave the key in the Jeep.

So I'll still be powering the brake system from coach power.

Roll
That'll work. And no worries if you travel for a number of days without disconnecting/starting the Jeep.

In my '07 I rewired one of the dash outlets to take power from the coach. It no longer worked unless hooked to the coach, but we didn't miss it. Now we've moved on to an Air Force One braking system altogether.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing