Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawood1 View Post
Dennis, do you happen to have a skatch of how you wired up the Toad Charger? I ordered one and it came today.
Thanks,
Art
Use two 15 or 20 amp breakers or fuses one on the chassis + side battery and one on the + toad battery and use #10 or #12 wire to the center post of your plug in, real simple and cheap. I towed a 11 Edge for a a year with no problems with the charge line also have it on the F150 now

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
cawood1
Art,
This is how my six way plug coming from the motorhome (Freightliner chassis) is wired:
I merely fastened one "hot" wire into the back of the car six wire connector and spliced a ground wire into the existing white ground wire. These two wires are the “input” for the Toad Charger. The two output wires go to the car battery positive and ground. I just pulled off the rubber from the back of the car connector.
So, two wires travel from the connector to the Toad Charge Controller and two wires from the Controller to the car battery. The Freightliner already has a 20 Amp fuse, so I didn’t need to worry about installing another one. I used red and white wires to make sure they were properly identified.
You can see the LSL diagram at this location:
TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer
I tired to post pictures but it did work. Let me know if this helped.

dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just out of curiousity, is there any changes between a 2011 and a 2013 Edge so far as towing would be concerned?
Thanks.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
Just out of curiousity, is there any changes between a 2011 and a 2013 Edge so far as towing would be concerned?
Thanks.
Not that i am aware of
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #19

I have a 2011 Edge FWD. Directions are same as 2013. Tows easily with 4 down. Had problems with dead battery in the beginning. Ford offered no help. Added a Tow Charger, as mentioned above. Works great and very easy to install. Did have to call for help, but my mistake by not READING ALL of the instructions!!!
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
I have a 2011 Edge FWD. Directions are same as 2013. Tows easily with 4 down. Had problems with dead battery in the beginning. Ford offered no help. Added a Tow Charger, as mentioned above. Works great and very easy to install. Did have to call for help, but my mistake by not READING ALL of the instructions!!!
Tom, What was the cause of the battery going dead?

Thanks Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
Thanks.
The 3.5L V6 and the 6F50/55 have remained virtually unchanged since 2007. Other than adding a turbo 4 cyl with a 6F35 transmission in the Edge (cannot be flat towed) the 11-13's are unchanged drivetrain wise.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrett1012 View Post
We have 6,000 miles of tow with the Edge. So far have not drained the battery. Hope by following the manual for Ford and running it every 400 does the trick.
Hello Parrett,

We are new (6 months) to RVing. We purchased a used '07 Saturn VUE with a Blue Ox system and just replaced the VUE with a 2011 Edge Limited FWD 3.5 V6 with push button start. We will tow it behind our '06 DP Dutch Star. I am installing a Blue Ox base plate and will continue to use my Roadmaster Brakemaster air auxiliary brake system transferred over to the Edge from the VUE. For lights I have chosen the Hopkins custom plug and play light kit.

Some questions:

^ One thread I read mentioned height variances between the Edge and the MH hitch that needed to be addressed. Did you have this problem?
^ Are you maintaining your toad battery without a regulator in the line, just a fuse?
^ Based on some of the thread comments I've read can you tow an Edge without having to charge its battery as long as you don't exceed 6 hours continuous towing and are not using an electric auxiliary brake system?
^ Did you install your Blue Ox base plate yourself or did you have it installed; in either case what was the difficultly if self installed or charged labor hours if you had it installed for you?
^ Does the accessory switch turn off the accessories on the Edge after "X" minutes to your knowledge as I've read on one thread comment?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

wingrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing