Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #29
Just in the process of setting up 2013 CRV. Manual says one fuse to pull. Asked dealer, and response was to turn off radio, which is on the acc fuse. I have a charge wire from my coach battery to the back of the mororhome ,which I will connect to the toad battery with a fuse for on the road charging. It is very easy to set the charge line. I used battery minder cables with the ring connectors. They come with a built in fuse. Connect one end to your coach battery and the other to the toad battery. I ran the cord along the underside of the motorhome around the wheel wells with plastic wire fasteners.

bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
i wired my 2013 crv directly to the coach to charge battery.. i do not use an isolator so it is probaly a good idea to pull the pigtail when you start toad.. i also use a brake buddy and you cannot have two brake lights, one from coach and other from buddy so i switched the wire on brake light switch... you must put the car in neutral 1st and then throw switch or you get anti skid and steering icons.. no fuse to pull..

Dik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #31
Texas Boomers Club
This thread has been very helpful. If the fuse is pulled (as recommended by Honda) are radio settings lost?
Ready2gonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #32
Entegra Owners Club
No they are not lost
Corey and Tammi
2013 Entegra Anthem DEQ
2015 Buick Enclave
CoreyinWP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #33
The problem I had when towing our 2011 CRV was not the fuse having to be pulled but the 12 volt power required for the Brake Buddy air compressor. If you used the brakes often it would drain the CRV battery. I purchased a power pack with 12 volts and a cigarette plug. Plugged the Brake Buddy into it so it does not drain the CRV battery.
2009 Tiffin 37QSB Allegro Bay
FMCA # F418093
Bay37QSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #34
crv 2013 tow procedure will this work

Run CRV 5 minutes in neutral. Shut off, put it in park, turn the key off and leave it in. the steering wheel will not lock if you leave key in. On the right side of the shifter, open the emergency tab, push switch down move shifter back to natural. Key off no battery use. Will this work.
123golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #35
I would not follow that procedure for two reasons. One is you would not be following the routine as listed in the owners manual. It specifically says to go from drive into neutral and let the car run for three minutes. To go from park into neutral without the engine running is a no-no. And two, since you have a new vehicle under warranty, you certainly would void the warranty if you had any transmission issues. Simplest solution is to run a charge line to the CRV.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by 123golfnut View Post
Run CRV 5 minutes in neutral. Shut off, put it in park, turn the key off and leave it in. the steering wheel will not lock if you leave key in. On the right side of the shifter, open the emergency tab, push switch down move shifter back to natural. Key off no battery use. Will this work.
Will it work? Heck if I know...

Is it the smartest thing...I don't think so. As mentioned, the owner's manual is pretty specific on what you should do.

There are reasonably simple ways to do it within the owner's manual requirements.

1. Install a fuse bypass switch to kill the radio (fuse 19 in most/all newer models. (I have seen some references to a dual fuse bypass for CRVs with NAV but not in the last couple years. There is a dual bypass available from Blue Ox if needed.) It takes very little time to install one.

2. Run a 12V charge line from RV to toad. For those with things that can kill the battery such as an aux brake system using the toad's battery to power it, this is probably the best. Done correctly is eliminates the need for bypassing fuses.

Personally, I'm not interested in being some engineer's test bed for working around well established practices with a new vehicle. Nor am I interested in pushing the envelope at the expense of time and money in or out of warranty just to work around proven procedures.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #37
Where to tap into wiring for lights

I would like to use the existing lights on the CRV. I am planning to use diodes but I ran into a problem. I thought I read were if you taped into the wires on the back driver side it feed both sides of the lights. Well I cut into the tail light wire before the plugs where the wires came from the front of the car. But it only ran the drivers side.

So the question is where to tap into the CRV wiring to work both sides of the tail and brake lights?

2014 Phaeton 40KQH
2010 Allegro 35QBA (sold)
superiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #38
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess I'm missing something. I read this thread, and many many others, about dying batteries when flat towing, pull this fuse, pull that fuse, put in a relay, put in a diode, leave the key off but finagle the lever to neutral, touch wood, turn around, spit three times, yada yada yada.....

Isn't it easier, when you're already spending $1500-$2000 to prep the tow hardware, to just have someone install a charge line from the MH? I mean, how hard does this have to be?
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #39

Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I ran a 12v charge line through a 6 pin connector from the MH to the CRV. I can tow all day without flat battery problems.
X2, This is THE Solution. Everything else is a Band Aid.

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote