Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Towing a 2013 Honda CRV

I along with a couple of friends bought new Honda CRVs. I have not towed mine yet, but my friends are haveing a problem with batteries going dead? We tow 4 wheels down. I do not have navigation and am told by the Honda tech to go thru the set up procedure, and then leave the key in and turn off the switch? The wheel will not lock until the key is pulled. This is contrary to the instructions in the manuel, which says leave the key in pos 1? Any ideas or experience appreciated! Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
bill i have a 2006 crv the time itowed i had your buddys problem then i seen with key on i had my raio was on my fan was on now every thing is off and key on aok and then i ran a ground and hot wire from coach batt to car batt works great i start it every 300to 500 milles or when ever i stop always starts good luck put it in nutral. see ra on the road o6 40ft alpine limited mn hank @ jo ann.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #3

This may help

No More Dead CRV Battery

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Towing CRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advise and tips!!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #5

CRV dead battery

I tow a CRV. You need to pull the radio fuse as you can't totally turn off the radio and after towing for about 7 hours, the battery will be dead. The fuse is a pain to get out as it is in the upper left side of the fuse panel and is to short to get a hold of it. I replaced it with the same amp fuse that is in a longer case and now it is easier to pull. Parts store has them.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ran a 12v charge line through a 6 pin connector from the MH to the CRV. I can tow all day without flat battery problems.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Dik

I just picked up a 2013 CRV last night.. Already ordered wire kits from etrailer.. prob is they tell me due to the seperate brake and turn signal I will need to also get a brake light relay as I use a Brake Buddy... Can't I just pull the ignition fuse and/or install a switch like I had on my Saturn?... Any help???
Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #8

I guess I am either the luckiest CRV owner ever. We have towed a 2007 CRV since the day after we drove it off the lot - travel six months continuous and have never had a dead battery. It has a navigation system and we use a Brake Buddy. After the transmission sequencing is done per the owner's manual, I make sure the NAV/Audio screen is off (there is a screen prompt), and make sure the radio and AC are off. Sensitivity on the Brake Buddy is set so that it only activates during a hard stop.

When we stop for lunch, I start the car and let it idle until we are ready to leave, and when we stop for the night I also idle to charge the battery. We rarely travel more than five or six hours per day, but when we do we also idle to charge the battery after six or seven hours of travel. I am sure some kind of charging system for the towd battery is better, and I keep telling myself I should do that, but I never get around to it.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik View Post
I just picked up a 2013 CRV last night.. Already ordered wire kits from etrailer.. prob is they tell me due to the seperate brake and turn signal I will need to also get a brake light relay as I use a Brake Buddy... Can't I just pull the ignition fuse and/or install a switch like I had on my Saturn?... Any help???
I'm about to order the same wire kit. It isn't a big deal to put in te brake light relay. You will still need to pull the accessory fuse or put in a switch to do that. Unfortunately neither Tow Daddy or Blue Ox have wire kits for the 2012-2013 CRV. I think these systems have a controller box that removes the need for a brake switch relay.

According to Blue Ox, there may be 2 fuses (ACC Radio & keylock) that need to be pulled. I need to verify that myself as to why "some" have 2 fuses to pull. Blue Ox has a switch that does both.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Dik

Sky, I would think that if we pull/switch the fues (s) that should eliminate any probs.. sharing the hot wire from the coach seems like a good idea also.. would just require one additioal wire to toad battery... I also use a seperately wired socket for my brake buddy..
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Sky, I would think that if we pull/switch the fues (s) that should eliminate any probs.. sharing the hot wire from the coach seems like a good idea also.. would just require one additioal wire to toad battery... I also use a seperately wired socket for my brake buddy..
I'm planning on using a 6 pin socket on the toad. I will then cut the 4 pin plug off of the lighting harness and connecting them to the 6 pin socket. That will give me the option of using the 12V from the RV to a Toad Charger if I choose to do so. I agree, that if the fuse(s) are pulled that it should minimize any chance of dead toad battery so I will hold off on the Toad Charger for a bit. I'm thinking that I will need to figure out how to weather protect the 12V pin on the back of the toad's socket. Maybe not but if I do, I will just wire it with a short lead and cap it but that might be over thinking that for now.

The main reason for connecting to the wire harness with a 6 pin socket is to keep my connections down to the wire harness & AFO vacuum connections stringing between the RV and toad. I have both a 7 & 6 pin socket on the back of the RV so my only decision is whether to use a 7-6 pin coiled cable or 6-6. The only thing the RVs 7 pin plug gives me is a back up light.

So many choices.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone2 View Post
I along with a couple of friends bought new Honda CRVs. I have not towed mine yet, but my friends are haveing a problem with batteries going dead? We tow 4 wheels down. I do not have navigation and am told by the Honda tech to go thru the set up procedure, and then leave the key in and turn off the switch? The wheel will not lock until the key is pulled. This is contrary to the instructions in the manuel, which says leave the key in pos 1? Any ideas or experience appreciated! Bill
The only snag here is to put the ignition in 1, you have to go to PARK. Then you must release the shift by going in the slot beside shift and s\depressing the release lever, then back to neutral. This last procedure is done after the runup, and with the engine off. Several of my friends are using this. I do not want to pull fuses or disconnect battery as it discombobulates the computers. Crazy
Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Sorry you didn't get a response sooner but I just went through the same process and here is the scoop.

The reason you MIGHT need a brake light relay depends on this... If you have the ignition switch OFF and press your brake peddle, if you can see brake lights come on then you need it. The reason is that your auxiliary brake system will then push/pull your brake peddle causing your it to activate your brake lights and override your turn signals. So, what the person behind you sees when you are in a turn is brake lights only and no turn signal.

Trailers and dollies don't have this problem. Again, the bottom line is if your brake system pulls/pushes the brake peddle and your brake lights come on with power off, you will need a brake light relay UNLESS...

If you use some thing like Tow Daddy or Blue Ox wire harness you will NOT need the brake light relay. These systems have a control box that has one built in. I ordered the Tow Daddy universal kit since they don't have a "plug n play" version for the 2012-2013 CRV. It requires cutting wires but isn't that hard to do. Blue Ox also does NOT have a plug n play version either and requires the same splicing in. HOWEVER...I'm going to go to Honda today and see if I can order the tail light plugs. If I can, I SHOULD be able to wire the Tow Daddy into the plugs and create my own plug n play connectors eliminating the need to cut wires. I will keep you posted.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Dik

Dik

Thanks Sky, I tried to put the C56158 T- Connector on after installing the rear hitch... At my age, need a third hand and wife works fine.. On wiring, plug conection behind panel is not real easy to get to and I tore my arms up trying... I found a guy that installs hitches and we discussed my options.. I want to use the hot (charge) wire from my bus and run it fused to toad battery. (CRV)... Also anyone using the C56158 kit you might want to consider swapping out the fuse for a reset type circut breaker as is located behind all that pastic in the rear after the install. I am also looking into a 4-pole switch for acessory and stop light fuses..

Tags
towing