Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #1

Towing a 2013 Lincoln MKX

Hello,
I'm in the process of setting up to flat tow a 2013 Lincoln MKX. If anyone has some background on this or the equivalent Ford Edge please let me know. My questions are 1) was told by Remco and Blue Ox that there is no harness available for this model because of multiplex wiring in the car. Was told I would have to order a Light Bar and attach it to the back of my towed vehicle. Is this true? 2) I use a Blue Ox Patriot Braking system in the towed vehicle. If I plug it into the cigarette lighter plug-in I fear it will run down the battery.......experienced this on my other towed vehicle. I installed a "Towed Charger" to combat this. Can I use the 12V source on my RV's 7 pin Bargman towing connector to feed the Patriot Brake? 3) According to the Lincoln manual I need to run the car for 5 minutes before towing running it through the Reverse and Drive modes before moving it to Neutral and turning off the engine. After trying this I've noticed that the dash still has some lights on. Do I need to remove the fuse controlling that function before towing? If not I'm afraid it will drain my battery during tow. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Pete46

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

You can use the (+) 12 v pin of the seven pin hook up as a charge wire from the RV to the towed car's battery. Just install a couple of auto reset circuit breakers, (20 amp) one in the RV to protect the wiring from the battery to the plug, the other in the towed car between the plug and the battery. When both batteries are charged up, very little current will flow from one battery to the other. When starting the RV, the starting current might be a heavy drain, but the auto circuit breakers would trip if excessive and reset when the RV engine starts and starts charging. I've done it in my towed car and it's never been an issue. I don't see the need to buy a Towed charger, the wire I described does the same thing.

Are you sure the dash lights won't go out after a minute or two, like the interior lights? Even if they stay on, the charge wire should provide enough power for the lights and the brake system.

If you've got multiplex wiring, a light bar is a simple solution. You might put the bar in the back window if possible, that way no scratching or chafing of paint by wires or magnetic light mounts.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

I am certainly not a wiring expert, but there are universal systems available which run off the Motorhome plug, independent of the vehicle wiring. Requires drilling a hole in the back of the rear light housing and installing a separate bulb in both sides. Route the wiring up to the front and plug in to MH jack.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #4

Quick question about the auto resetting 20 amp circuit breaker. Does this defeat the purpose of knowing if there is a fault in the circuit? My fear is if the breaker resets itself I will not know when it fails.
Thanks for your input.
Pete46
Old 09-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I use a test light every so often to be sure the connection is good.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing