Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #1

Towing a 2014 Ford Fiesta

We own a 08 Coachman Concord, we recently purchased a 2014 automatic transmission Ford Fiesta to tow. We have the Roadmaster Portable Braking System 9300. The Fiesta manual says to disconnect the battery cable - doing so does not allow you to plug in the braking system to the cigarette lighter-
How does one use the breaking system in the Fiesta if you disconnect the battery?

Thanks for Help
2Kessie
kessie2@mac.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you towing 4 down or using a dolly?

Ford factory tech told the Ford dealer and I not to flat tow a automatic 2014 Ford Fiesta or 2014 Focus so we are looking at a 2014 Focus with a manual transmission.

(I know the 2014 towing guide says it's OK) I think because there is too much risk of putting it in neutral without starting it which would damage the transmission. Did not think you could shift it when it wasn't running but maybe you can.

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:45 AM   #3

If this is true, why does the computer give you a window to indicate the vehicle is ready for towing. If you follow the directions in the manual it says to put the vehicle in neutral, wait for the "ready for towing" window to come up and then turn the vehicle off...do not remove the key from the ignition. It' won't come out anyway. The problem I see is if you disable the battery, you cannot use the cigarette lighter to plug in the Roadmaster Portable Braking System 9300. We are towing 4-down...that is why we purchased this as the Ford Dealership told us we can tow this vehicle that way. We had a car that we could have towed with a tow dolly...no tow dolly for u s.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:07 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's why I questioned them. Maybe some aren't always following the directions and burning up their transmissions. Keep me posted as we are planning on purchasing a 2014 Focus in a month or so to flat tow and the automatics are easier to find.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

Will do....tried making a few calls, but everything is closed over the weekend...we are headed out on Monday...I'm just a worry-wort....the RV mechanic who installed the equipment assured us everything will be fine...I think you are correct...the directions must be followed precisely and in that order...but I will still make a few phone calls.
Thanks for your input!
Kessie
Old 07-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

You can run a direct 12 volt line to the battery for your brake. Run the line thru the firewall, usually at the steering column.

http://www.rvibrake.com/RVibrake-12-...vkit-12010.htm

Tags
ford, tow, towing