Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
How about loading up in the cold and wet on a dirt pad? And then there is unloading after two days of driving in the rain! Oh what fun it is to get those straps off. I feel I am living high class now. I even have time to if I want after hitching and unhitching... even if the weather is a bit on the side. Ahaaa... Ain't RVing fun! (And relocating more so now!!!)

Rick Y

Yea right! We used the dolly last February to tow from NY to Florida. When we left it was -4deg! It had snowed overnight the day we left. It took an hour to get the car up on the dolly and tied down! It was a very nice dolly, a Demco 450ss but not worth the headache.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you believe, Craig, the there are a few diehard tow dolly users on here? One boasted about using one for years and has no problems with doing so. I am just not that pioneer spirited I guess. I just can't imagine hitching up a tow dolly at -4*.!!! Don't ever be told you don't have the courage to rethink your status. This proves you are a man of wisdom.

Happy trails and many of them.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #59

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
We are planning on getting a 2015 CRV to pull. From what I gather by the posts it will not put mileage on the unit when being towed. Don't understand all the talk about a fuse or fuse cutoff switch? We now pull an Accord by just turning the ignition switch on. I think it does put miles on but we have never had the battery go dead. Usually run the car for a few minutes while sitting up at campground. We also just use the flat plug to get power to the toad.

Sake travels all
The 2015 Honda CR-V with a CVT supposedly cannot be towed 4-down. 2014 is the last year for that.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&D ABQ View Post
The 2015 Honda CR-V with a CVT supposedly cannot be towed 4-down. 2014 is the last year for that.
There is no supposedly about it. Honda does not recommend the 2015 CR-V for flat towing. Doing so will void the warranty and replacing the transmission would be pretty expensive. If the salesman claims it can be flat towed, get it in writing from the sales manager.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
If I understand the concept of the CVT, it can be towed only on a flatbed ramp truck or trailer. No wheels on the ground. This is making the '14 CR-V a very coveted toad among RVers. We love our '14 CR-V... in tow or driving it.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 12-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wonder if Corporate Honda "knows" the new 15 CRV will lose sales as RV'ers opt not to purchase an begin looking elsewhere for a 4 down vehicle to drive an tow? SAD!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Wonder if Corporate Honda "knows" the new 15 CRV will lose sales as RV'ers opt not to purchase an begin looking elsewhere for a 4 down vehicle to drive an tow? SAD!
Let's look at this from Honda's persective. How significant is the RV buyer's market in the scheme of CRV sales?

Taking the last 4 years of reported US and Canadian sales of the CRV are:

2011 - 243,449
2012 - 306,728
2013 - 338,385
2014 - 335,731 (YTD not including Dec data and a mix of 2015 model year CRVs)
Totalling = 1,224,293
(Based on historic sales numbers, I would expect Dec 2014 to add more than 30,000 to the final tally.)

If 1% of those sales were used as an RV toad for flat towing that would be at least 12,243 units on the road. I don't have any hard numbers on how many CRVs are actually in RV, toad service but it would surprise me if it exceeded 1% of average sales.

All of this doesn't even take into consideration Honda's global market. The CVT transmission was introduced into the CRV in the Japan market over 2 years ago. It was previously released in other models.

1% sales is not an insignificant number but given the rise in annual purchases, at least US and Canadian, it could be a trade off in how they approach consolidation of product lines and equipment to reduce production costs.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
If I understand the concept of the CVT, it can be towed only on a flatbed ramp truck or trailer. No wheels on the ground. This is making the '14 CR-V a very coveted toad among RVers. We love our '14 CR-V... in tow or driving it.

I think that would apply from 2012-2014 models. Certainly for the next 4-5 years these could be sought out. After that they just get a bit too old for the used auto market in general.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Let's look at this from Honda's persective. How significant is the RV buyer's market in the scheme of CRV sales?

Taking the last 4 years of reported US and Canadian sales of the CRV are:

2011 - 243,449
2012 - 306,728
2013 - 338,385
2014 - 335,731 (YTD not including Dec data and a mix of 2015 model year CRVs)
Totalling = 1,224,293
(Based on historic sales numbers, I would expect Dec 2014 to add more than 30,000 to the final tally.)

If 1% of those sales were used as an RV toad for flat towing that would be at least 12,243 units on the road. I don't have any hard numbers on how many CRVs are actually in RV, toad service but it would surprise me if it exceeded 1% of average sales.

All of this doesn't even take into consideration Honda's global market. The CVT transmission was introduced into the CRV in the Japan market over 2 years ago. It was previously released in other models.

1% sales is not an insignificant number but given the rise in annual purchases, at least US and Canadian, it could be a trade off in how they approach consolidation of product lines and equipment to reduce production costs.
Don - I spent 27 years doing that kind of analysis.... brought a tear to my eye to see that in the hour or so went spent together Sunday, you caught the condition. I'm throwing it away but didn't mean for it to land on you....
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I got mine... lol.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #67
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I got mine... lol.

Me too! I just hope Annette decides to keep it! She doesn't like the interior colors!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We also have a 2014 Honda CR-V and love it! I listen to the Living the RV Dream podcast, and John and Cathy just bought one too....it was fun listening to the show where they discussed their purchase. I'm not sure they have it set up to tow yet, so maybe that will be another podcast episode. I think it tows really easy. The first time we towed I had to turn on the rear view camera to make sure it was really there. :-)
Old 12-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Me too! I just hope Annette decides to keep it! She doesn't like the interior colors!
Uh oh. Better get ready to toss in the towel.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Tint her glasses! Don't let her through that baby out!

Sky_Boss came up with the #'s I was suspecting but the 1% seemed a bit high. Toads are not on every RV and not every RVer uses a coach or needs a toad. And then there are the other manufactures that have models that can be towed with little or no changes to them. Honda has no real incentive to produce a towable car for RVers. Their focus must be on the future and survival in the ever changing market. I am holding no grudge toward them for this attitude. I AM very grateful that I chose to buy this year and that I was wise enough to chose the '14 CR-V. I hope it lasts as long as I stay on the road. I figure I am good for another 10 to 15 years. I don't think I am asking too much from the car or me.

Rick Y

Tags
towing, tow