Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcb View Post
Thanks all for the odometer info. Which brand towing equipment do you like best as we haven't bought ours yet?
Ray C.
For your CRV I recommend everything I have posted in my signature. The BlueOx Alpha is more than enough for your car and the price at Amazon seems good: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it is down from what I paid.

I like the Air Force 1 because it is all self contained. There is nothing to install in the car after the initial installation. It is a simple plug and play system. The SMI company has a great reputation.

Investigate the different ways to operate break lights and choose the one you are most comfortable with. I installed the tail light harness adapter and ran the wires to the front of the car. That works fine for breaks and directional but not running lights in my case. If you do use running lights it is best to have the aux battery charging system to the car battery. I don't have one. I built an adapter to switch out the 7.5 amp fuse and that seems to be working for me. (The fuse is in a miserable place under the dash. The switch is the best way to go.)

I also installed a stone guard: net style. My last car had a lot of stone chips on the nose paint after 8 years of towing. So far the guard seems to be doing a good job.

My Blue OX base plate was not a problem to install. The directions made it more difficult than necessary. If you do the installation yourself just remember the following. Each grill clip has a release hole in the grill. If you look from the front, in line with the clip, you can see it. A small screwdriver pushed into the hole will release the clip. I fought over a hour trying to get the grill off. I found a site that had instructions for installing fog lights. The grill had to come off and this is how they instructed it be done. I did advise BLUE Ox. They may have changed the instructions by now.

I hope we are all providing good information for you to consider. This is a great place to find out what works and what doesn't when RVing. We all look forward to the rest of the story.

Rick Y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #86

Does it include a braking system?
Ray C.
rhcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Does it include a braking system?
Ray C.
Yes, Ray. This is the company product I used. AIR FORCE ONE | SMI Manufacturing Inc.

The work great.

Rick Y
Old 03-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #88

I just purchased 2014 CRV, had base plate installed, as well as fuse cut off switch .
Tested the Brake Buddy with it yesterday and learned that I had no 12V. So...can't plug in Brake Buddy and can't plug in the small solar panel I used in my older CRV to be sure battery stayed charged. Curses! So...here is my question: If I don't "switch off" the fuse, but instead make sure I have turned off radio, console display, all lights, etc., etc., will I accomplish the same thing as "removing" the fuse???? Advise, please. And thanks in advance

SF Bob
2011 Sightseer
2014 CR-V
SF Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #89
doc

Appalachian Campers
I sent a note to Brake Buddy and asked about a 12 volt plug for a direct contact to the battery. They sent me the socket, the wire, fuse etc immediately. I wired a fused line from the MH battery bank to the Jeep battery so that it will not do dead when we do an extended tow in the mountains where the BB might run a lot.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I sent a note to Brake Buddy and asked about a 12 volt plug for a direct contact to the battery. They sent me the socket, the wire, fuse etc immediately. I wired a fused line from the MH battery bank to the Jeep battery so that it will not do dead when we do an extended tow in the mountains where the BB might run a lot.
For those following this thread, this is what just happened: With the cut-off switch for the fuse operated, you loose most of the circuits activated when in ACC, which is required to free the steering wheel. BB provided a work-a-round that is good but relies on the car battery unless a feed from the coach is provided.

Many of us have chosen the Air Force 1 system because it operates from the air break system of a DP or from a add-on component in a gasser. The only battery power that is needed is for the breakaway switch, and the break lights & AF1 LED indicator. We have no break peddle apparatus to install and remove or need a power source for. Everything needed to break the car is mounted and out of sight. There are other manufactures making similar systems but, in my opinion, the AF1 is the neatest installation and very easy to use. I use the fuse cutoff switch and tow all day with no battery problems and no charging feed to the car battery.

The example I am responding to gives me a warm fuzzy feeling because I went with the system I did to break my CR-V. I like KISS .

Rick Y
Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #91

Is the 4cyl enough power for the Honda CRV? Looking to purchase a toad tomorrow.

Thanks,
txaggie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:05 AM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not a power car, but it has more than enough power, even going up grades. When in hilly areas, I take it out of economy mode....a little less gas mileage, but more oomph.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie79 View Post
Is the 4cyl enough power for the Honda CRV? Looking to purchase a toad tomorrow.

Thanks,
We love our CR-V. I am now in the hills of the San Diego area and the car has more than enough power to deal with them. Taking it out of economy lets it down shift quicker but even then it is not a problem. The car is very roomy and very comfortable on long trips. The steering takes a bit getting used to because it takes so little effort and track so well. As far as towing goes, my 2014 tags along wonderfully. Well, I have graduated from a 10 year old Scion xA on a tow dolly to the CR-V. It should be easy after that! I have the AWD model.

Just remember, the 2015 CR-V can't be towed.

Rick Y

PS: I am very happy with my tow equipment as posted in my signature.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #94

On our 2014 Honda CRV, when I remove the #19 fuse from under the dash, the 12V plug-ins are dead. Pray tell where you connect the patriot brake system to 12V power?
Ray C
Old 05-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had another 12-volt plug added which was connected directly to the battery....I know....Camping World only charged $39 to install it, but I think they had a special at the time.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
On our 2014 Honda CRV, when I remove the #19 fuse from under the dash, the 12V plug-ins are dead. Pray tell where you connect the patriot brake system to 12V power?
Ray C
If you look at the firewall (see picture) you will see a rubber doughnut. You can install a 12V socket from Radio Shack or some other source and run the wires to your RV harness through this grommet. Pick up a 12V source from the coach, fuse it, and us it to run the 12V outlet you install. This will save your battery while traveling.

I have no idea how you removed that fuse. I had all I could do to find it, pull it and then to reinstall it I became a contortionist. Never again. I built a switch circuit to shut the fuse off. I use vacuum from the coach for my breaking through the Air Force 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crv gromet.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	93198  
Old 05-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #97

Anyone know the maximum number of amps the Patriot brake system will use?
Ray C
Old 05-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Question for the folks towing a '12-14 cr-v. Do all of you pull the 7.5A ACC fuse? I am looking for answers from folks that don't charge the battery while towing.

I just built and installed a fuse shutoff switch circuit. To try to deal with that little sucker every time you tow for a long haul is insane. In experimenting with removing and reinstalling it, I lost the fuse down that black hole of infinity under the fuse box.

If anyone is interested, you can see my thread and respond to the pole: 2014 Honda CR-V fuse by-pass switch. I should have called it a cutoff switch in the title.

Rick Y
How did you do it.
gene2624 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow