Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing A 2014 Honda CRV

Was at the dealership looking at a 2014 crv for use as a toad I was told by the salesman that when you tow it 4 wheels down the mileage accumulates on the odometer is this true
Rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Wrong! Most salesmen don't know very much about towing.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
I believe the speedometers on most all late model vehicles have been electric for the past several years
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2011 CR-V and it does not accumulate mileage when towed.....

Dave
Old 07-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
These days with internet and other sources of info for consumers, I have found that I know more about the car I plan to purchase than most sales folks, at least the last two I purchased.

CR-V does not log miles while being towed.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
Was at the dealership looking at a 2014 crv for use as a toad I was told by the salesman that when you tow it 4 wheels down the mileage accumulates on the odometer is this true
Only if you forget to turn the engine OFF! Don't ask me how I know this.

However, when that happened we got some AWESOME MPGs for that trip on the CRV. LOL

BTW...it will not cause your computer to tell you that the oil service is needed any sooner either. We tested that out recently when it said we were down to 5% on the oil life. We towed the car over 600 miles and it stayed at 5%. Also, consider rotating the tires with every service if you tow a lot.

HOWEVER...be aware that per the owner's manual you will need to change the transmission fluid every 2 years or 30,000 miles, which ever comes first.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #7

2013 CRV EXL AWD does not accumulate mileage.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Salesman is wrong. You will not accumulate mileage while towing the CRV.
FYI we are using a AWD automatic CRV and all is good towing. Get the CRV! An enjoy!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo View Post
2013 CRV EXL AWD does not accumulate mileage.

Ditto !

Randy W

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Question for the folks towing a '12-14 cr-v. Do all of you pull the 7.5A ACC fuse? I am looking for answers from folks that don't charge the battery while towing.

I just built and installed a fuse shutoff switch circuit. To try to deal with that little sucker every time you tow for a long haul is insane. In experimenting with removing and reinstalling it, I lost the fuse down that black hole of infinity under the fuse box.

If anyone is interested, you can see my thread and respond to the pole: 2014 Honda CR-V fuse by-pass switch. I should have called it a cutoff switch in the title.

Rick Y
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am at a loss to understand why
people don't simply put a charge line in.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I am at a loss to understand why
people don't simply put a charge line in.
I was of the same opinion. I have a charge line and after about 4 hours of towing, I arrive to unhook and have a dead battery. After scratching my head and testing the charge line, finding it OK, I have come to the conclusion that on hilly roads using the Exhaust Brake, the draw from the Brake Lights and Patriot is more than the charge line can provide. I never had this problem on trips down south until now in Alaska where I am constantly slowing down for frost heaves or hills.
Going to install the fuse disconnect switch.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting......,
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I was of the same opinion. I have a charge line and after about 4 hours of towing, I arrive to unhook and have a dead battery. After scratching my head and testing the charge line, finding it OK, I have come to the conclusion that on hilly roads using the Exhaust Brake, the draw from the Brake Lights and Patriot is more than the charge line can provide. I never had this problem on trips down south until now in Alaska where I am constantly slowing down for frost heaves or hills.

Going to install the fuse disconnect switch.

Dennis, I could be wrong here, but I don't think the accessory fuse has anything to do with why your battery is going dead. If your power draw is from the brake lights and Patriot drawing too much power, I would go to a larger gage charging line and wire it directly to the coach battery and not the 12 volt accessory on the coach. Putting a switch on that little 7.5 amp radio fuse is not going to stop the brake lights and the Patriot power draw or save that much juice. Besides, you have to keep those powered up anyway. Bigger charging feed seems like the only fix. I Also I believe the factory OEM battery on my Honda is pretty wimpy. It has auto headlights and the battery went dead just because we left the back hatch open a short while one time.

Dennis thanks for the "heads up" now I'm thinking I might need to change out my battery too. I have an Air Force One instead of a Patriot that does not use toad power or engage with the exhaust brake however, I forgot about the brake lights. The brake pedal still actives that third middle brake light drawing from the toad. Good luck.. and thanks for the information.

Randy W

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow