Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #1

Towing a 2015 GMC Terrain

Anyone towing 4-down a late model Terrian with a bra on the front ?
mouldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #2

I tow a 2015 GMC Terrain Denali but no bra, I use a Roadmaster Defender
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_6y4lo7ojk5_b
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have towed a GMC Terrain behind my DP for 5 years without incident. In December 2016 the car separated from the coach while exiting I-5 in Northern California. Although the car crossed 4 lanes before hitting a ditch and fence there was no 3rd party involvement. Upon examination it was determined that the car frame broke behind where the tow plate is bolted on. The front of the car was still attached to the coach complete with tow bar, tow plate, safety cables and all the electrical connections so the break-away didn't get pulled apart. Suggest you check the chassis horn on your Terrain and Equinox in case this happens to you. Demco towing issued a service bulletin about this in 2013 but I wasn't advised. Check it out at

2010 - 2012 GMC Terrain | Demco Products
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Wow Britcanuck that is scary, I went and looked at the Demco brackets and could see why it failed, it is really not a good design or was not very well attached to toad, have a look at Roadmaster brackets for same toads and how robust it is made and attached or even Blue Ox it is better than Demco but not as robust as Roadmaster.
I do like the Demco tow bars and never heard of a failure on them.
It might be a good idea to put a warning about those brackets for the Equinox and Terrain so all are aware of the problem.
Did Demco help you out with the expensives of the failure?
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe I didn't explain clearly enough. The Demco bracket did not fail It was the end of the car frame that broke off. Demco made a revision to their baseplate to try to prevent the chassis from breaking. I have spoken to people who have the new style Demco plate and the GM chassis seems to be holding together better.Sorry if I wasn't clear enough about that. I also think that since 2011 when I got my baseplate other manufacturers have made modifications to help strengthen the weak GM frame
Old 02-04-2017, 11:59 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm quite astonished but greatly relieved that no other dingy tow'rs have experience the same problem that I did. See previous posts. Although I don't feel that the problems was totally with the Demco base plate they were the ones who tried for a solution with this service bulletin
2010 - 2012 GMC Terrain | Demco Products
You may have to paste this link. I would be very interested to hear from any others who have had a similar experience. Happy Trails

Tags
towing, tow