Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #1

Towing a 2016 GMC Acadia

I have been told that three fuses have to be removed before towing a 2016 GMC Acadia with all four wheels on the ground.

Question: Is the purpose not to drain the battery? If yes, can I use a trickle charger powered from the motor home to keep the battery charged as I do with our 2007 Toyota Van?

Question: If, not because other components have to be de-energized then, what is an easy way to disconnect the two fuses under the dashboard in front of the passenger seat? This is not an easy task and has to be performed with the door open and kneeling on the ground. Not possible to do in the rain and at my young age of 82.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We tow a GMC Terrain but others on here have asked questions about towing the Acadia and the need to pull fuses. You might try entering "Acadia" in the search box above to see if any helpful comments come up. I'm sure you will get a lot of help here.
As for physically pulling the the fuses you can buy switches that are specifically made to eliminate the need to get down there and pull them. Check with your RV dealer or maybe a website like etrailer.com . I think Roadmaster and other companies make them. Hope this helps some. Good luck and safe travel.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

GM Lambda series vehicles are Traverse, Enclave, Acadia and Outlook. Ask your dealer if the 2016 is any different that the second half year 2012's and newer.

https://www.rv-partsplus.com/content...6-13-12Rev.pdf

https://www.rv-partsplus.com/content...rge%20SUVs.pdf
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It may not be just battery life, though that is a big concern. In a modern car the various electronic modules are always trying to optimize things, and the GM Lambda SUVs have things like Stabil-Trak and antilock brakes that are actively managing wheels while underway. And the BCM (body control module) is managing door locks, interior lighting, headlights and all sorts of things. I'm not sure that even the GM engineers know the sum total of the combined effects of these gadgets. It seems every year or tow they find another fuse that ought to be pulled to deactivate something that causes a problem. My '07 Acadia needs one fuse pulled; now they are up to 3 and some folks still have problems. Some of the potential issues may involved options your particular vehicle doesn't have, but the info to determine that is not made available. GM is distinctly not helpful on the details. Or quick to investigate reported problems.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #5

Gary is correct. All the pieces, parts, systems, etc are constantly hunting for power to keep going. That is why it is critical that the Batt1 fuse (or switch) is always last off and first on. We have a pretty darn sharp woman service adviser at my local GM dealer who told me that.

It explains why the first time I uncoupled my Enclave from the coach and did not do the fuse switches in the correct order that the Stabiltrac, the check engine light and several other warning lights were going bazerk. Not only that, the vehicle would not move until it was going about 3,000 rpms and that was at a creep. I turned it off and on which made it derivable and killed the warnings except check engine. The service adviser plugged her computer into the dash and programmed it not to come on anymore when it lost power.

I am now very careful on my fuse switching order and after three trips everything is fine. No warnings. All I have to do is reset the clocks.

Never had a battery problem even when I was doing it wrong.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I tow a 2014 Acadia and also have the Roadmaster Invisibrake and the fuse switch for under the fuse under the hood. I don't pull any fuses from under the dashboard.

Everything was installed by the folks at Roadmaster. I have towed the car over 4K miles this year and have never had an issue.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:09 AM   #7

Thanks for all your responses.

I am in contact with a GMC Dealership to determine what has to be done to Dinghy Tow a 2016 GMC Arcadia. I prefer to tow it with a battery charger powered from the Motor Home to keep the battery charged with no fuses pulled. I have learned the following: According to the Owner’s Manual listed on the Web (page 306) the two fuses to be pulled are located in the Battery Compartment. This is not correct. They are located under the dash high on the side wall at a very difficult place to access.

Will post final results.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #8

Dinghy towing a 2016 gmc acadia

Someone has said timing is everything!

I just received a telephone call from the GMC Dealership correcting previous information.

CORRECTION: Two of the three fuses recommended to be pulled before towing are located in the Battery Compartment located under the floor behind the passenger seat NOT under the dash. This means the GMC Owner's Manual is correct.

I apologize for misleading anyone. A few days ago, I was present when the GMC Service Manager looked into the Battery Compartment and stated, "No fuses here." Then, he located a fuse block under the dash and stated, "The two fuses you need to pull are here but I cannot see which ones."

I asked if a trickle charger powered from the Motor Home could be used to keep the battery charged and no fuses would be pulled. Today, the answer was, "GMC recommends pulling the three fuses." "Unofficially, one could trickle charge the battery and not pull the fuses" but I cannot get that in written form so any problem would be my responsibility.

Above food for thought.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #9

Why don't you want to install fuse by pass switches?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #10

Have a 2015 Acadia. One question about key position: there seems to be two positions between "run/start" and "lock/remove key". When I turn the key to "ACC" most of the dash lights come on. Move the key slightly counterclockwise and there's another position in which the dash lights are off. What's that intermediate position?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #11

The simple answer is the use the first one that unlocks the steering wheel. I just checked my Enclave and the first one does that, as does the second position but more accessories come on. I use the first one on mine.

But, since you will need to kill the BATT 1 fuse it doesn't make any difference unless I am missing something.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:25 AM   #12

Dinghy Towing a 2016 GMC Acadia.

My Thanks to everyone who has responded to my postings.

I do not want to have fuse disconnects installed because of the cost and when a modification is made to a vehicle not by the dealer the manufacturer can use such to not warranty the vehicle. Also, I have a trickle charger powered from the Motor Home that I have successfully used for years with our Toyota Van.

The official response from GMC via the dealer's Service Manager-is "Remove the three fuses." The unofficial response is use the trickle charger. I plan to use the trickle charger.

Has anyone done this with a 2015 or 2016 Acadia?

Delivery of the Acadia will be 6 weeks +/- once ordered.

Thanks again for your responses.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #13

2000 DS, I'll try to be succinct. We've towed a 15 Acadia for about 6K miles. After many discussions with the dealer, here's what I do. I have a fused charge line from the coach to the battery. I pull the BATT1 fuse under the hood. Dealer told me that with a charge line I didn't need to pull any fuses---but that if the BATT1 fuse were left in I'd accumulate miles while towing. Pulling the factory supplied BATT1 fuse is a bear---so go to your local dealer or auto parts store and get a 50 amp "high profile" FMX fuse (it'll be red) and use that instead of the factory fuse. The high profile fuse is about 1/4 inch taller and you can easily pull it with your fingers. And for some reason my headlights come on when I pull the BATT1 and I haven't figured out whether they stay on or eventually go off. So I also pull the high beam headlight fuses. Those factory fuses are also short: go to the auto parts store and get some taller ones and again you can easily pull them. By the way, after you pull the high beam fuses you still have low beam headlights available should you need to drive the car---but of course you won't have the high beams. After pulling the BATT1 fuse the only thing I have to reset is the clock. Seat position presets and radio settings are retained. Once or twice the check engine light came on but went after a couple on/off cycles. Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Joelyn5, I think you need to pull the BATT1 fuse else you will rack up the miles.

On a separate note about headlights on whilst towing, I used to have this problem, but don't anymore - I think it has to do with the order in which you do things. With the car already hooked up to the RV, engine off and key out of the ignition, I then insert the key , turn it to position 1, put the car in neutral, lock the doors, pull BATT1 fuse (I have a roadmaster fuse switch under the hood for this). That's it.

Incidentally I also had a 'service key' cut at my local Ace hardware for under $5, the key doesn't have a transponder in it so you can't start the car, but it does unlock the steering - I use this key exclusively whilst towing the car as I don't like the idea of leaving my 'real' keys in the ignition.

Tags
tow, towing