Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 AM   #1

Towing a 2019 Jeep Rubicon

We just picked up our 2019 Newmar Dutch Star and were joining up our new Jeep Rubicon. We followed the directions to a T from Jeep and it didn’t work. Our salesman had to help us out and he tried to follow the directions as well. It ended up in neutral and we finally were able to tow it home with the new RV. I know it’s supposed to be the easiest to tow, we just need some simple steps and advise to do it. Thank you!!
Harley626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2019, 07:08 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We are glad you joined us. Congratulations on the purchase of your new Newmar Dutch Star. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions. Our members like to help when they can. Post often and share your new RV adventures with us. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 AM   #3

When I hook up I make sure to place into neutral while rolling up to the tow bar. If you come to a complete stop the axel may not be exactly lined up. If this occurs you need to move the Jeep forward or back to line up. It really does get easier as you do it a few times. Do not force the transfer case level when completely stoped because you can break the shift lever.

Enjoy the journey
Old 06-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley626 View Post
We just picked up our 2019 Newmar Dutch Star and were joining up our new Jeep Rubicon. We followed the directions to a T from Jeep and it didn’t work. Our salesman had to help us out and he tried to follow the directions as well. It ended up in neutral and we finally were able to tow it home with the new RV. I know it’s supposed to be the easiest to tow, we just need some simple steps and advise to do it. Thank you!!
Keep in mind that the transfer case will be very stiff for a while and shifting into and out of neutral will take some patience. The more you use it the easier it will get. Ours had 35,000 miles on it when I bought it and I don't think the 4wd had ever been used. The shifter was stiff but after 30,000 miles of driving and another almost 40,000 towing it has gotten very easy. As Bob said, it is sometimes easier to shift while rolling slowly.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #5

Towing a 2019 Jeep Rubicon

Yes the transfer case will be hard to shift when new but will get easier the more you use it.

I’m on a western trip right now and have towed my JLU Rubicon for 3500 miles without a problem. If it helps here’s a copy of my cheat sheet from the owners manual. Use the dash display to verify neutral.

Since I use the CoolTech harness it won’t apply to you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1737.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	251086Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	251087
Old 06-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley626 View Post
I bought a brand new 2018 JL Sahara. At first when I tried to get the transfer case in or out of neutral it was very different, now I only have difficulty when coming out of neutral after I've towed. Sometimes it works first attempt, but most times I have to roll the Jeep forward or backward to get the transfer case out of neutral. Hopefully yours will loosen up over time as others have mentioned. I'm hoping my Jeep will become easier to get out of neutral after some more use.

Fortunately, a couple of days ago after getting stuck in a very crowded gas station and having to disconnect the Jeep came right out of neutral on the first attempt.
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I'm not a Jeep guy so can't advise you on that! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #8

I have a 2017 Rubicon and have never had any trouble. After pulling up to line up to the tow bar i shift from drive into neutral then pull the 4x4 shifter from 2 past 4 hi and into neutral. Then turn the key off and shift into park. Be sure the parking break is not on, hook up and your ready to go.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #9

Shifting into neutral becomes easy pretty fast. Out has been a bit more of a challenge for my 19 sport. Once in a while (seldom) I will get alignment and it will work as the manual describes. I have found success when it doesn't, by restarting, shifting transmission into a gear, back to neutral, shutting down and returning to shifting per manual. Sometimes a few attempts are needed but it will shift firmly without undue force once I believe you are get the gears in alignment.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:48 AM   #10

Thank you everyone for your help!! It’s all very much appreciated. We are excited about getting her on the road soon after we close on the sale of our Michigan home. This forum has been very helpful and everyone is so friendly.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:11 AM   #11

Thank you!

Tags
tow, towing