Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #15

Even on short trips I still like to have another vehicle,I can't just relax at the campground, I need to get out and do things. I just bought a Jeep Rubicon which I am going to set up for flat towing. So it will depend on where I'm going which one I will take.
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #16

Keep in mind the Remco driveshaft disconnect is $1000 then $400 or so to install. That is my next step but I have to do it because it is my work truck.

May be easier to trade your SUV for a used jeep that has a transfer case. Sometimes simpler is better.

Not much on dollies or trailers, it is 1500 pounds and 2 more tires to take care of, while you figure out where to store it. Less is more.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow our Cadillac SRX which weighs about the same all over the place with no problems. Used to tow a Smartcar other than start can not tell much difference between the 2. You will need an auxiliary braking system. We use Brake Buddy.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
Keep in mind the Remco driveshaft disconnect is $1000 then $400 or so to install. That is my next step but I have to do it because it is my work truck.

May be easier to trade your SUV for a used jeep that has a transfer case. Sometimes simpler is better.

Not much on dollies or trailers, it is 1500 pounds and 2 more tires to take care of, while you figure out where to store it. Less is more.
1400$ is not bad. I have test driven a jeep and much prefers the 4 runner.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
It depends on what you want from the toad?

Could you put a 10k hitch on a F53, I plan on it. Work van E350 sprung to 450 pushing 7000 pounds.

Aventa Blue Ox
SMI brakes
Meh the rest is in signature.

The simple answer is yes, but the bigger question is, does the toad do everything you need it to do? Or can you get lighter.

Remember 10K towing is a 5/8 certed pin.

Jim is right, it always weighs more than you think.

----------------------------Woow, 2005 Damon Daybreak 3270F, you are almost 13 years old, your springs are shot. Either get the rig re-sprung for $3500 and tow what you want. Or keep what you have and stay under 4k.

My E450 Tioga was resprung to a E550 last year, and it is, my god what a difference, wish I would have done this years ago feeling.
Where does one find a 10K hitch for the F53 chassis? I couldn't even find a 5K hitch when mine bent. Coachmen had to send me one. I was on the verge of having a welding shop build me a hitch and reinforce the frame extensions.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi,

My Toyota 4 runner has a curb weight of 4700lbs, I must presume a driveshaft disconnect kit and tow setup will push toward 5000lb.

Would I better off towing a lighter toad, such as Honda crv etc?

Trips mainly in mid west but would like to have the option of places like Appalachia.

Thanks,
1stMH,
Wholly cow Partner, you're assuming a drive shaft disconnect, which is merely a shifting collar and a small bracket and cable, and a base plate is going to add 300 lbs. At the very most, a D/S disconnect will be very close to about 25-30 lbs or so. And a general base plate, about maybe 50 lbs. or so. Think of a 60 lb. sack of cement, base plates are nowhere near that much.

But, it's up to you. We towed 5 different Jeeps, all modified heavily and weighing close to 4,500 lbs. or more all over the western U.S. and never had one issue with an F-53 Fleetwood Bounder 34V and the Triton V-10 275 HP. I personally don't like D/S disconnect's because of two reasons. One, they can and have been, very problematic when it comes to re-connect your driveshaft due to mud, debris, etc. causing binding and spline alignment problems. Second, drive shafts are balanced for high rpm spinning. Now cut one and install a coupler that is sloppy at best. No thanks. But its a choice that each has to make.

In my opinion, for whatever it's worth, a CRV would be my pick. Hook it up, follow procedures for prep for towing and, drive away. Your choice. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
1stMH,
Wholly cow Partner, you're assuming a drive shaft disconnect, which is merely a shifting collar and a small bracket and cable, and a base plate is going to add 300 lbs. At the very most, a D/S disconnect will be very close to about 25-30 lbs or so. And a general base plate, about maybe 50 lbs. or so. Think of a 60 lb. sack of cement, base plates are nowhere near that much.

But, it's up to you. We towed 5 different Jeeps, all modified heavily and weighing close to 4,500 lbs. or more all over the western U.S. and never had one issue with an F-53 Fleetwood Bounder 34V and the Triton V-10 275 HP. I personally don't like D/S disconnect's because of two reasons. One, they can and have been, very problematic when it comes to re-connect your driveshaft due to mud, debris, etc. causing binding and spline alignment problems. Second, drive shafts are balanced for high rpm spinning. Now cut one and install a coupler that is sloppy at best. No thanks. But its a choice that each has to make.

In my opinion, for whatever it's worth, a CRV would be my pick. Hook it up, follow procedures for prep for towing and, drive away. Your choice. Good luck.
Scott
Hi Fire up,

Thats a good point about the drive shaft disconnect, to be honest I was on the fence about it from day one.

There is a newer CRV in the car park at work and I just don't like the look of it at all. I think the Ford Edge looks nice.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No one asked...what F53 does your Daybreak have?

The F53 has been made with many GVWR's as high as 26,000lb.
Damon's regular/standard Class III hitch receiver will tug 5,000lb all day...no problem.

If it is the chassis listed on the 2005 Damon brochure...it's the 20,500lb GVWR w/26,000lb GCWR version. That offers 5,500lb towing capacity, even at full GVWR (500lb more than the receiver hitch rating)
Definitions here:
http://www.rvsafety.com/weighing/weighing-glossary

Under these numbers, there is no problem towing your 4Runner.
You might avoid towing it with a full fuel tank

As far as the lifespan for the suspension springs...I submit that these are not '67 Falcon springs and surely would not need routine replacement.
If there is a visible sag in the rear suspension, then new springs could be in order, otherwise probably not an issue.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewfinder View Post
The should you answer is no.
A lighter toad is always better.

The can you answer is yes. Ford 20500 gvwr with a 26000 cgvwr with a 5000 hitch and a 2 valve Ford V10 is good for 5000#. Been there done that...all over the country. The V10 is not afraid to work.

Curb weight is dry so don't go packin' up the toad. It weighs more that you think.

jim
To me though, its not about the v10 as much as its about pushing the hitch to the limits...
Old 10-23-2017, 04:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
No one asked...what F53 does your Daybreak have?

The F53 has been made with many GVWR's as high as 26,000lb.
Damon's regular/standard Class III hitch receiver will tug 5,000lb all day...no problem.

If it is the chassis listed on the 2005 Damon brochure...it's the 20,500lb GVWR w/26,000lb GCWR version. That offers 5,500lb towing capacity, even at full GVWR (500lb more than the receiver hitch rating)
Definitions here:
http://www.rvsafety.com/weighing/weighing-glossary

Under these numbers, there is no problem towing your 4Runner.
You might avoid towing it with a full fuel tank

As far as the lifespan for the suspension springs...I submit that these are not '67 Falcon springs and surely would not need routine replacement.
If there is a visible sag in the rear suspension, then new springs could be in order, otherwise probably not an issue.

Best luck
Hi,

It sure is the 20500lbs hitch.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #25

According to Hitch source setting with the 4 runner to flat tow will be in excess of 6,000$, for that I would get a dolly and a cheap compact to tow.

A lube pump would be needed as opposed to a disconnect kit.

Tags
f53, toad, tow, towing, weight