Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #1

I have a 1997 37' Holiday Rambler with a 275 HP Cat. I want to tow my 98 Chevy Tahoe. It's empty weight is just over 5300 pounds. I have never towed a vehicle before and would like some advice. First, is the vehicle too heavy for the motor home? Second, what brand tow bar should I use if the weight is not an issue? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #2

I have a 1997 37' Holiday Rambler with a 275 HP Cat. I want to tow my 98 Chevy Tahoe. It's empty weight is just over 5300 pounds. I have never towed a vehicle before and would like some advice. First, is the vehicle too heavy for the motor home? Second, what brand tow bar should I use if the weight is not an issue? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #3

I use a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and Blue Ox tow plate. The bar is rated for 10,000lbs. and does a great job handling the relatively heavy Tahoe.
The drive disconnect system on the Tahoe (electronic)is easy to use and there is no need to pull fuses, periodically start the SUV or keep your speed down as in some other Toads.
As long as your motorhome hitch and carrying capacity is up to the task, IMHO you will love the setup. Good Luck and don't forget a supplemental brake system!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I want to use the Tahoe because of the electronic disconnect. I was concerned that the weight would be an issue for the 275 HP. You are packing a few more horses in your rig.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #5

We tow an 2000 Suburban and use a 10,000 pound Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. Read the manual for the Tahoe to make sure you understand the towing procedures. We have to pull one fuse as well as setting every thing to neutral.

Make sure you have sufficient capacity between the GCVWR and your GVWR.

In addition the hitch has to be rated to tow the weight you want to tow.

Last but not least make sure the hitch is properly attached to the frame of you MH

Hitch issues

Do not forget you will need a FROG breaking system to be safe. We use a Brake Buddy with the in dash alert and the break away system.

I can not compare it to any thing else as it is all we have every used. Both the Brake Buddy or the Blue Ox.

<span class="ev_code_RED">ENJOY THE RIDE</span>

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:44 AM   #6
paz

Randy, welcome to iRV2.

As wallynm says, make sure you have enough GCVWR to handle the weight of the Tahoe AND that your hitch is rated high enough. Many hitches are rated for 5,000 lbs and, although 5,300 isn't that much overweight, you also have to remember that rust and age may have weakened things so you don't want to push too far. Also remember that the published figures for curb weight are dry weights. Fuel, oil, water, optional equipment, and personal items can add several hundred lbs to the weight of your toad. You might be able to replace your hitch with one rated higher, but the motorhome frame probably isn't rated for the higher capacity hitch.

Also, even though your diesel will have more torque than a gas engine, 275 hp sounds like it might struggle a little. We towed a Silverado extended cab 4x4 (probably about 5,200 lb with full gas, small tool box, and miscellaneous items on board) behind our gasser (340 hp) for a year and it was sort of OK, but we didn't take it over any big mountains either.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:54 AM   #7

The advice has been very helpful. I am new to this site and the knowledge of the members of this site is appreciated. Thanks to all.

I think I will pull something smaller until I upgrade to a larger rig.