Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #1

Towing a BMW

I currently tow a great Mazda Miata and have towed it for many thousands of miles. No problems even though the mfg. does not recommend it. It is a standard transmission. We are ready to move to a BMW Z4 or three series with standard transmission. I really don't want to mess with a dolly but have never seen one used as a toad, and of course they are not on anybody's list as towable. Has anyone had any experience with these cars? Baseplates etc. I have seen a number of posts where owners have sold their BMW's to get a toad, but I don't give up easy. I have had one Jeep, and don't need another.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #2

I tow a 97 z3 on a tow dolly without any problems. I have been told by a transmission guy that the 5 speeds , Z3, are ok to tow but the 6 speeds, Z4 , are not. Not sure about the automatics. He said the 6 speed would not lubricate since the pump was on the input shaft. I've owned 3 Miata's, a MB 230 Kompressor, and now the Z3 and to be honest, we liked the Miata's best and if buying new, would buy another Mazda.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
We are ready to move to a BMW Z4 or three series with standard transmission.
I question that your going from Miata to a Z series BMW is a move UP!

I daily drive and RV tow a Miata NC retractable hardtop. I have friends with Z series BMWs and I have driven the Z3 and the Z4.

I don't mean to put down the Z BMWs, they are nice cars, but in comparison to a newer Miata, there is no comparison. The Miata is appreciably lighter, handles unquestionably better, and is 1/2 the price. Before you plunk down $$ for a Beemer Z, if you have not, I would drive at least TWO of them, just so that you know what you are getting.

Tim

Old 04-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
I have seen a number of posts where owners have sold their BMW's to get a toad, but I don't give up easy. I have had one Jeep, and don't need another.
vraines...you may have read one of my previous posts where I owned 2 BMW's and a Corvette, and none of the 3 were towable. I went so far as to call BMW USA and Remco to receive the same advise. DO NOT TOW!!!

My issue was that I did not want to void the BMW warranty and be responsible for future repairs, so I traded the 3 series convertible, kept the X series BMW and the 1961 Corvette convertible.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We traded our BMW 330cic for a Mini Cooper Convertible (manual trans) so we could flat tow.
Mini tows easy and is just as fun to drive as the 3 series.
My understanding is that no BMW is flat towable. I'm sure somebody has done it, but I have never seen one.
Norm Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice. I have a 2000 Miata with only 90k miles and we have towed it for five years and it is a great, fun car to drive that easily gets 30 mpg. I think I got good advice about the BMW's, so we will probably do a search for a Miata. Maybe a late model or wait for the new model later this year. The Z4's are nice but they are expensive. Thanks
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #7

vrains,

I too owned a 2000 Miata 5-speed. In the 6 years that we owned it (bought it with 30K miles) I daily drove it for 55,000 miles and towed it over 35,000 miles.

I then got the opportunity to trade it in on a FULLY LOADED 2010 6-speed Power Retractable Hard Top at the end of the model year.

I can tell you, there is almost NO comparison between your 2000 NB and a late model NC. While the layout is familiar, it does not seem that they are both made by the same manufacturer.

The 167 HP 2.0 liter pushes the NC much more than the 140 HP 1.8 liter did the NB and the suspension has been vastly upgraded to handle the increased power.

The steering wheel is vertically adjustable as is the drivers seat.

No matter how you drive (and I drive rather spiritedly), you will enjoy the 10-12 year improvement in the power, the handling, and the "feel" of a new Miata.

Please take my advice and go drive a couple of them. I think that you will be impressed and pleased with the upgrade, but remember that the automatic is still untowable.

If you drive one, please let me know what you think.

Tim

Tags
towing