Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Towing a boat

Hey all,

This may be the wrong forum - but here goes...

OK, 33' coach towing 20' sailboat - np

When one gets to a campground that has water access for boating, is there generally enough room at the ramp to turn around and do maneuvers?

I like the idea of mounting a hitch to the front bumper to put the boat in and out, but a lot of ramps I've been to barely have enough room for cars and trucks.

Or, is it simply call the campsites in the area you want to go ahead of time and see how steep their ramps are, or if they have a tractor or something to help launch boats, etc?

Thanks,
Angel (the dog) & Stu
~~~~/)~~~~

"Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don’t be sorry."
— Jack Kerouac

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unfortunately I think you're going to find each campground with a boat launch is different. Some may be big and have enough room to do what you want to do, others probably not. Calling ahead may help and some campgrounds may have a service available to help launch your boat or you may be able to ask a neighbor to help you depending on how friendly they are and trusting you are. Good luck!

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As noted above, they are all different, some will work, some will not.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
All the CG's we go to in WI are more than willing to launch our pontoon boat for us.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks all,

That's what I thought the the answer may be - each Site/Park will be unique. Not a big deal - just forces me to be more thoughtful and conscientious about planning the trip- not one of my strengths - I'm more like "Fill 'er up - where to next?"

-Stu
Old 04-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Unfortunately I think you're going to find each campground with a boat launch is different. Some may be big and have enough room to do what you want to do, others probably not. Calling ahead may help and some campgrounds may have a service available to help launch your boat or you may be able to ask a neighbor to help you depending on how friendly they are and trusting you are. Good luck!
That's what we experienced.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Angel...Go to Google maps and use the Earth view for the place you are going to. You'll instantly see whether it is big enough to do what you want.

I Google Earth every campsite we are going to use to find out what I need to know about access, etc.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #8

Been to numerous state parks, COE, and private CG's. Have not had any problems gettng my 18.5 fish 'n ski launched or loaded. Do not have a hitch on front. Haven't had the rear tires in the water yet.
But like other posts - usually if you get in a jam there is a kind soul ready to help - I would!!

Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing