Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Towing a car and a Harley

I have a 40' Mountain Aire motorhome and I would like suggestion's on how I can tow a SUV and a 96 Harley Ultra Classic motorcycle. Is my only option to buy a enclosed?? If you have any pictures with how you do it please post
Thanks in advance
Brian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #2

Hydralift RV Motorcycle Lift Powerful - Dependable– Reliable - Hydralift-USA

Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Depending upon what you have available for rear axle weight capacity, a rear hitch mounted motorcycle carrier, such as mentioned by Kevin, may be a good solution.

A fellow Goldwing rider has one that is about 1-year old for sale that he's advertising at $2,000 OBO. It is located in Florida. Here is a link to his posting, including pictures:
Price Drop, Overbuilt M/C Lift for Motorhome

To use this, you have to change your hitch to a three point system. The lift mounts the outside 2 receivers and your toad connects to the center one using an extension.

I have spoken to a number of guys hauling heavy Goldwings on these and they appear to work well.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Or switch to a pickup for a toad and carry the cycle in the bed of the pickup.

Doesn't have to be an enclosed trailer, a flatbed will work to carry both as well.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If you don't have a TAG axle I wouldn't consider a lift on the back of the coach, you'll probably end up over loading the rear axle. One possibility is a unit that I have that allows me to TOW my MC by putting the front wheel on am "L" shaped "I" beam that fits in the vehicles receiver and the rear wheel travels on the ground. I got it on line for $335 from "billybob1.com". You could possible use this on the back of the SUV, I'm not sure if this set-up would constitute triple towing or not being a the MC is attacked to the SUV on the receiver and straps from the handle bars down to the SUV's frame.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #6

I am currently planning to have a Mighty Hauler installed on our Discovery. This will allow Us to carry our Golf Cart and pull our Jeep also. They also make a Hauler for Bikes. You can look up Mighty Hauler On Line.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
I have a 40' Mountain Aire motorhome and I would like suggestion's on how I can tow a SUV and a 96 Harley Ultra Classic motorcycle. Is my only option to buy a enclosed?? If you have any pictures with how you do it please post
Thanks in advance
Brian
Brian,
I've done all you're asking about. There are some particular specs that you SHOULD be concerned with. Having a 40 footer, I'm betting your rear axle will handle the added weight but, just to be sure, I'd do a number of things prior to purchasing anything. First, go to your chassis specs and find out what the GAWR of the rear axle is and, while at it, check the front too.

Then, and this is vitally important, GO GET THE COACH WEIGHED!!!! Don't worry about the four corner thing, that's not all that important when working on this type of situation. And, when getting it weighed, load it like you're going on a trip. Supplies, tools, water, food, clothes, people and what ever you have on board, when on a normal trip. You want as close to traveling weight as possible for a good accurate estimate of what you're dealing with in terms of what's left over in added weight carrying capability.

Then, once the actual weight check is in, compare what your rear weighs to, the GAWR of the rear axle. That is the most important figure in the whole shooting match. Most coaches, like ours, (a 36' Itasca Horizon with the C-7 330 CAT) don't have much room to play with in left over weight carrying capability. But, many times, even single rear axle 40' and over units, will have it but, do all that I suggested, just to be sure.

I'll use mine as an example. As stated, it's an Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 CAT and, the GAWR of the rear is, 17,500 lbs. When I weighed it, prior to the addition of the Hydralift I purchased, it came in at, 16,900 lbs. I knew, at that point, I would be over weight on the rear axle. Now, I've got quite a bit of experience in this area and won't go into detail on it but, suffice to say, I was confident the rig (and all components involved) would handle the load.

Well, I went ahead and installed the Hydralift. That in itself, was a fun feat. But, when it was all said and done, we carried a 2008 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing that tips the scales at close to 900 lbs. The Hydralift in itself tips them at around 275-300.

Now, using advanced math, that comes out to, oh, right around 1175-1200 lbs. But, here's a very important point. That's not direct weight, over the rear axle. It's "cantilevered" past the rear of the coach. So, what I'm saying is, instead of just adding 1200 lbs. to the 16,900 that I already had, to come out with, 18,100, I added in reality, a lot more than that.

The next time I was close to a set of scales, at Seven Feathers Resort in Oregon, I filled up the coach, the toad and, the bike was already full. Then, drove a few feet to the certified scales there. Well, here's the figure. The rear came in at, 21,100 lbs. Now, by that time, we'd already put, over 8,000 miles on this particular setup. And, contrary to popular belief, I never had any handling problems, no wandering, no porpoising, no broken coach, no broken suspension, nothing. The coach road at the exact same height with the bike and lift, as it did with without it on there.

But, based on a multitude of ideas and reasons, we decided to change our mode of operations. We didn't like the Honda CRV we were towing and both of us missed our truck so, a major change in equipment took place. We picked up a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 for a toad. And, since we now had a truck, why not carry the bike in the truck instead of on the back of the coach??

So, I removed the Hydralift and sold it. Then, we picked up an almost brand new, "Rampage" lift for the back of the truck. It took me a little over a day or so to install that Rampage. Now, the truck carries the 1200 lbs. and we're all back to normal on the rear of the coach. I loved the Hydralift. It by far, is the best lift on the market. It's also the most pricey too. I will say that the bike stays cleaner now that it rides in the back of the truck in comparison to how dirty it got on the back of the coach.

So, hope this helps some. I purchased the Rampage for right at $1,500 which, is about 1/2 price from a new one and ours, was used twice and then he sold it to us. I've set it up to be removed in about 1-2 minutes and is carted away to it's resting place when not in use. PM me if you'd like any more info on installation of any of the components. Be glad to help.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
On my coach (non-TAG), the Hydralift worked out fine. I'm carrying the 06 Street Glide and after weighing in, I'm still below my GAWR. I did a couple of weighings and in order to go over GAWR, I had to completely fill all my tanks (fresh, grey, black and fuel). That put me 400 pounds over weight on the rear axle but I figure I'm not really going to run in that mode and if I did, it'd be to get to the first dump station
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #9

Here is an alternative to the Rampage. This one is all aluminum. I saw it mounted at a campground and talked to the guy who installed it. He said he looked at products for two years before buying this one. I am seriously considering so that I can haul my Goldwing in my F150:

Motorcycle Loader

Anyone else here have one?
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Here is an alternative to the Rampage. This one is all aluminum. I saw it mounted at a campground and talked to the guy who installed it. He said he looked at products for two years before buying this one. I am seriously considering so that I can haul my Goldwing in my F150:

Motorcycle Loader

Anyone else here have one?
Rich and Cork,
Yep, I saw that one in Quartzsite the last time I was there. I can't remember all the particulars but, if I recall, I wasn't all that impressed. It's basically a copy of the Rampage. Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to sell the Rampage as a top unit. I just wasn't all that impressed with that one. The Rampage is pretty heavy duty and, if one looks around for a bit, you can find them on Craigs list, like we did, for way less than a new price.

Ours was like stated, basically brand new, used twice. We picked it up for $1500. They both have the same principle of operation. Both are 12V winch operated. A word of caution here even if you purchase the aluminum version, when first attaching the Wing to the arms for the ascent up the ramp, don't make them very tight at all. If it's anything at all, in geometry and physics in the Rampage, and you preliminarily tighten the front two straps too tight BEFORE you start the bike up the ramp, those two front tie downs will become GUITAR STINGS once it's on the ramp.

Don't ask me how I know. But, anyway, it doesn't look bad, and, it's only a few pounds lighter than the Rampage. In the grand scheme of things, the small weight difference makes very little difference. Your F-150 is probably pretty close in weight to our GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4. It's right at, 5300 lbs.

Anyway, good luck with which ever loader you choose. It really doesn't matter which one, as long as you take your bike along for the fun.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Rich and Cork,
Yep, I saw that one in Quartzsite the last time I was there. I can't remember all the particulars but, if I recall, I wasn't all that impressed. It's basically a copy of the Rampage. Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to sell the Rampage as a top unit. I just wasn't all that impressed with that one. The Rampage is pretty heavy duty and, if one looks around for a bit, you can find them on Craigs list, like we did, for way less than a new price.

Ours was like stated, basically brand new, used twice. We picked it up for $1500. They both have the same principle of operation. Both are 12V winch operated. A word of caution here even if you purchase the aluminum version, when first attaching the Wing to the arms for the ascent up the ramp, don't make them very tight at all. If it's anything at all, in geometry and physics in the Rampage, and you preliminarily tighten the front two straps too tight BEFORE you start the bike up the ramp, those two front tie downs will become GUITAR STINGS once it's on the ramp.

Don't ask me how I know. But, anyway, it doesn't look bad, and, it's only a few pounds lighter than the Rampage. In the grand scheme of things, the small weight difference makes very little difference. Your F-150 is probably pretty close in weight to our GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4. It's right at, 5300 lbs.

Anyway, good luck with which ever loader you choose. It really doesn't matter which one, as long as you take your bike along for the fun.
Scott
Actually the weight difference is significant...about 200 lbs vs 400 lbs.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing