Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #1

Towing a Car with a Dolly

I've recently purchased a 30' Class A and plan to tow a car using a Dolly so the 2 rear tires will be on the ground. The car is a front wheel drive Honda CRV and my question is: Do I need to purchase a Dolly with Brakes? If yes, would you recommend Electrical Brakes, Surge Drum Brakes, or Surge Disc Brakes?
RScroggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #2

Do you need brakes on the dolly ? That's up to you. It seems the law can be read many ways, as you'll soon see.

I would and do have dolly brakes, but my Class C brakes aren't as robust as Class As.

Surge, disk brakes, are simple, self actuating, self adjusting and work without any wiring or controllers. You could rip the trailer cord out and still have brakes.

Now get ready for the 4 down crowd to try and change your mind.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
We tow a Fiat 500L with a dolly on a 34' diesel pusher. We chose to buy one with surge brakes because the only thing we had to hook up was the lights. It is a self contained unit and works great. No special wireing and since you don't back one up with the car on it the surge brakes are no problem. Easier to sell if the need arises.
Cabinhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

States that require brakes would still require them, but a vehicle on a tow dolly doesn't necessarily fall under the same laws as a trailer. Some states, e.g. Florida, have specific regulations for tow dollys.

The laws of physics aren't any different, though. whether dolly or flat-towed or trailers, you have a bunch of weight behind you that needs to get braked to a stop. The coach brakes are designed to stop the coach alone, i.e. the coach GVWR amount. Anything above that is supposed to have its own braking. So yes, you really should have brakes on the dolly. Surge is the easiest - no brake controller required in the coach. Electric brakes are perhaps better technically, but you really are just looking for some brute force brake assist with the extra weight.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #5

Brakes for sure
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #6

Surge disc brakes. You will notice the difference without.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #7

I use a tow dolly with electric box works great can even back it up
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Brakes for sure
I use electric, no problems
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:15 AM   #9

I would. You do notice a difference. We tow my Mazda 3 behind our 37' gasser. Our first tripe we rented a hauler and could feel the trailer pushing as we stopped. When we bought one with surge brakes, it was a world of difference. Some states require brakes on any trailer over 2500lb, so if you travel you will need to be aware of it. We found a new Towmaster with surge brakes and LED light upgrades on craigslist for just over $1000.

Tags
dolly, tow, towing