Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Towing a Chevy Colorado - disconnect battery or not?

The owners manual of my 2017 Chevy Colorado says to disconnect the negative terminal while towing four down or damage can occur. When I had the Air Force One installed the tech said no need to do that as they wired it to charge the battery while connected to the MH. I trust that the tech is correct in configuring it to charge but I'm concerned with what the owners manual is referring to regarding damage.

Anyone have any info or opinions on this? Am I safe to tow without disconnecting the battery?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The damage refers to your electric steering. You'll damage the steering if you tow with the battery connected. There was a very long discussion about this when the current generation of the Colorado and Canyon appeared on the market (do a search in this forum). GM says negative cable because they don't want you to do anything stupid while removing the positive cable, but it really doesn't matter. I bought the Roadmaster solenoid designed for disconnecting the battery electrically. It disconnects the positive side of the battery, via a switch, I located inside the cab. It comes with all the parts you need and is very easy to install.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The damage refers to your electric steering. You'll damage the steering if you tow with the battery connected. There was a very long discussion about this when the current generation of the Colorado and Canyon appeared on the market (do a search in this forum). GM says negative cable because they don't want you to do anything stupid while removing the positive cable, but it really doesn't matter. I bought the Roadmaster solenoid designed for disconnecting the battery electrically. It disconnects the positive side of the battery, via a switch, I located inside the cab. It comes with all the parts you need and is very easy to install.
Thank you. Do you have a link to what I need to get?
Old 04-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #4

I had a rotary switch installed on my negative cable. Turn it off when I am ready to go.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Thank you. Do you have a link to what I need to get?
Neal

This is what I installed on my 17 Canyon

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...leid=201743830

AND

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow%20Bar%2...er/RM-766.html

AND

https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...id=20171502788

Hope this helps
Frank Tamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I had a rotary switch installed on my negative cable. Turn it off when I am ready to go.
Tom, can you share info on what you used? Link or any detail? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #7

He is referring to something like this. Make sure you get one with a high amp rating

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr1003/overview/
Old 04-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I found something simple such as https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-...nt=22249837829 however the battery configuration in the Colorado is quite an odd looking situation. Never seen hookups like on this battery and of course the Air Force One is wired into it. Going to be yet another something to figure out. I'll look at the Roadmaster RM-766.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #9

I use a Battery Brain from Summit Racing. It is activated from a key fob or manually. When I towed my 2015 Colorado the first time I did not disconnect the battery and six hours later the battery would not start the truck. That was with a charge wire connected from the MH to the Colorado battery and the battery connected to the truck. Also these trucks have a Battery Minder circuit. When the battery gets low enough, I think 11.8 volts the battery is disconnected. When the Battery Minder activates you can loose power to your aux braking system. With the truck battery disconnected and a charge wire from the coach this does not happen. I have towed the Colorado 30 months and 20,000 miles with no issues. There is a long thread starting about November 2014. It is well worth reading as it will answer most of your questions and concerns.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Can anyone find the 2014 thread on the Colorado and why the battery needs to be disconnected? If you can provide that thread here I'd appreciate it so I can read it. I also called McGeorge RV and spoke with them and they are pretty adamant that their wiring the charge line will keep the battery charged but I mentioned something about damaging electronic steering but don't know anything more about that. He's going to look into it and get back to me. Just want all the details I can find.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #11

According to my Service Manager the Colorado and Canyon both have electric power steering. Turning the wheel (such as steering or the act of pulling the truck around a corner) will "wake up" the power steering even if the truck is not running. The problem lies in the fact that when your towing it the wheels are turning causing the steering rack that the power steering runs to work, therefore waking it up instead of the steering wheel turning first. Nobody knows for sure if this is a problem, Including GM but if it damages the power steering the repair won't be covered by warranty. Its his understanding that GM can tell what happened (If the power steering woke up while the truck was not running) by looking at the ECM. He said at the very least it will kill the battery very quickly and may well destroy the power steering. I installed the battery shutoff, a battery charge line and a new 12 volt outlet wired directly from the battery. Might be overkill but I want to be safe and not end up with a truck I can't use when I get where we are going.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Search " truck battery disconnect switch" on Ebay lots of options for disconnects.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
McGeorge just called me back and confirmed the story above, disconnect is required. Many thanks all, really glad I asked for some reason, don't need a messed up new toad!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #14

GMC Canyon Power for brakes and lights

We are just setting up a 2017 Canyon for towing. How do we power the brake and the lights if the battery is disconnected?
Thanks for any info on this.

Keith
Kwags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chevy, colorado, tow, towing