Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomt View Post
I am setting my CRV up for towing with a Blue Ox baseplate and hitch. If you stop on the road for a rest or a meal, can you turn off and remove the ignition key of the CRV while you are stopped, then set it up again for towing without disconnecting the hitch.
We do the same as most. We use the valet key in the ignition, and lock the doors manually with the regular key (the remote lock won't work while ignition is in ACC). I am just wondering, though. We use locking pins with the Blue Ox system, and the car is also attached with safety chains, etc. It never dawned on me that a CRV would be valuable enough to steal that a thief would work through all the connections just to steal it. I guess I am not paranoid enough.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the Honda some battery drain will occur as the dash clock will remain lit while towing. An if you are using a Tow Vehicle brake assist (like a Brake Buddy) of some kind you will have more drain on the car battery. I have been using a Toad Charger: LSL Toad Charge Battery Charger
Installed this myself, it is easy, an I have never had a dead battery while towing the Honda. There is not need for a battery disconnect switch if you use the Toad Charger. An if your use a Brake Assist you can not use a battery disconnect switch as you will have no power for the "Brake Buddy".

Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by don-deb View Post
I just recently purchased a 2007 CRV for a toad ( had a Wrangler for 3 years) . Was wondering if you can install a battery disconnect switch on the negative side of the battery post on the CRV ( like I had on the Wrangler ) to resolve the battery drain issue.....or does it need battery power to be towed ??
I put a switch on the + re the room. It is a non spark boat switch ( about $40.00). All you have to reset is the clock. The radio buttons stay preset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040993.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	29761  
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
You are setting yourself up by doing this. If you ever forget and drive off with that puppy in park you will regret it. Use another key or at least put a fail-safe reminder on your MH steering wheel.
Been there done that and believe me it wasn't pretty and I couldn't even get a "T" Shirt.

1fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
I Don
what i did on mine i install a iode and i run a wire from my CRV battery
to my RV no more problems and at night i start the CRV let it run for 5 minutes than shut down take off thw ket .lock the car and put my crv key's
with my motor home keys
Andrew
I also use to do this. Until one mourning I started talking to my wife and forgot to unlock the car ignition. I will NEVER take a key out of a car again, while hooked to my motorhome.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #20

We do pull our CRV keys on occasion. When they're pulled we walk straight to the MH's ignition switch and insert the CRV keys in the key ring in a manner they are impossible to miss when turning the MH's keys to the start position.

That lesson was learned a while back - and like most, we learned the hard way. Luckily no harm done. -Al
Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
The battery in our CR-V recently was drained after towing it on and off for a couple weeks. It surprises me that the clock draws enough power to cause this. We also have a brake assist, though we have not yet used it, and are reluctant to do anything that would prevent its use. I have read that it is possible to pull a fuse while towing the car. If I were to figure out which fuse powers the radio/clock and pull it, would I need to worry about any other devices draining the battery?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Have read some other posts, and learned that there is indeed equipment which you can buy and install which will in effect cut the power flowing through the fuse for the clock. I will look into this, though I realize that if we use our Patriot brake in the future it also will draw power from the auto battery. There is a kit which connects the MH battery to the auto battery to keep it charged. Of course, installation is involved. It doesn't look too complicated, though it does involve getting under the MH to string the wire which runs from the MH battery to the auto battery. Question: why in the h___ don't companies such as Blue Ox warn you about these battery issues when they sell you a tow bar or brake assist device???
Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #23

Quote:
why in the h___ don't companies such as Blue Ox warn you about these battery issues when they sell you a tow bar or brake assist device
Our 07 CR-V owner's manual very specifically talks about which fuse to pull when towing behind a motorhome. We have towed our 07 CRV with navigation, using a Brake Buddy Classic, since it was new. We travel for about six months per year. I never pull a fuse, and the only time the battery went dead was when I left the car in ACC overnight. I do turn the clock/NAV display completely off, as well as, ensure the A/C and, obviously, lights are off before towing. I do set the BB so it only activates in a hard stop situation, and I run the engine when we stop for lunch.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Navarro View Post
Have read some other posts, and learned that there is indeed equipment which you can buy and install which will in effect cut the power flowing through the fuse for the clock. I will look into this, though I realize that if we use our Patriot brake in the future it also will draw power from the auto battery. There is a kit which connects the MH battery to the auto battery to keep it charged. Of course, installation is involved. It doesn't look too complicated, though it does involve getting under the MH to string the wire which runs from the MH battery to the auto battery. Question: why in the h___ don't companies such as Blue Ox warn you about these battery issues when they sell you a tow bar or brake assist device???
One should read the brochure or talk to a rep before buying such a product. Blue OX will give you a "heavier" power outlet and cable but it still draws off of the battery. Since the Honda's battery is smaller than most ridding lawn mowers, you will definitely need a power cable from the motorhome. Put auto resetting breakers both in the coach connection and at the battery (40amp should do it).Then you could put in a battery switch - tight fit or a fuse switch (shuts the fuse off from the dash instead of you having to stand on your head and twist to get to the fuse box), Easy to make or you can buy one premade from Road master etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050021.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	29943  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
jzick -- How do you turn off the clock display? When the key of my 2009 CR-V is in the "ACC" position the clock is lit. I don't know a way to turn it off other than to pull a fuse. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #26

Quote:
jzick -- How do you turn off the clock display? When the key of my 2009 CR-V is in the "ACC" position the clock is lit. I don't know a way to turn it off other than to pull a fuse. Thanks.
On ours (2007) when the key is turned to ACC there is a screen warning with the legal GPS stuff (don't fiddle with it while driving - not resposible, etc). If you do not respond to that screen the clock comes on. In the bottom left corner of the screen is a virtual button that says DISPLAY OFF (bottom right is the button you push to change type of clock display). Touching the display button turns the screen off. Those buttons are only visible for a short time so I always sit and watch for them to appear.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Navarro View Post
Short of pulling a fuse...you can not turn off the clock. BUT there is other options. See above posts.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #28

About the battery/fuse issue

No More Dead CRV Battery

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing