Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #29

If you have a 7 pin connector on the coach, one of those is for charging the toad battery. I don't use a fuse switch, I just make sure everything is off. Even if i should forget to turn something off, the MH will keep the battery charged. One other suggestion, I use a rubber band on my valet key so that when we stop at a rest stop and turn the toad off I clip the key to the coach steering wheel. It's probably not necessary to take the key out, it just makes me feel better.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Question Seven pin connector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
If you have a 7 pin connector on the coach, one of those is for charging the toad battery. I don't use a fuse switch, I just make sure everything is off. Even if i should forget to turn something off, the MH will keep the battery charged. One other suggestion, I use a rubber band on my valet key so that when we stop at a rest stop and turn the toad off I clip the key to the coach steering wheel. It's probably not necessary to take the key out, it just makes me feel better.
My connector has six pins. Nobody mentioned that there was any other option when we had the baseplate and electrical connectors installed on the CR-V. Should they have?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Your connector on the toad is six pins, your MH is probably 7 pins. Since not all of the pins are used on the six pin connector, it is pretty easy to use the 12V pin on the MH connector to rig a charge line on one of the unused pins on the toad.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
We go one better than that: our ignition key has a security chip in it, so we had another key made without the chip and that is what is in the ignition. It will turn the switch to unlock the steering, but it won't start the car. We keep the real key in our possession while towing. Or stopped somewhere.
As a "newbie" who is planning to tow a 2012 CR-V in April I have been avidly following this thread. I like the idea of the dummy key(no chip) and had two made up for $5 each. I just went to the car and found the following. The valet key will permit the car to run but the dummy will only start it and then it stops immediately with an indication on the instrument panel that a key without a chip was used. The alarm is not activated.
The car will not lock using the remote if the dummy key is in the accessory position. It can be locked manually using a key in the door. My current idea is to hang the dummy key from the wiper control over the ignition when towing so that I won't forget to reinsert it in the ignition after running the car in preparation for or during towing. Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas and experiences.
Terry
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
I just completed towing my 07 CRV.....for the first time.... for 4+ hours with no problems. What I ended up doing ..... was installing a battery disconnect blade switch on the negative ( -) side of the battery.....and wireing a 12volt plug on the lower driverside console constant " hot " with a fused wire direct from the battery ......for my brake system. After 4+ hours of towing....it started up just fine....the only drawback was the need to reset the security code for the radio......the code numbers are in the manual. IMHO....compared to our old toad ( 2002 Jeep Wrangler ) this vehicle is the best for our needs.

don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing