Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #1

Towing a Dingy Driving tips w/class A

I've driven truck camper, van, class C, Class A 30' and now 35'.
I'm getting a '98 Saturn Wagon all set up with Blue Ox base plate and
getting Blue Ox Aventa tow bar. Patriot Braking Box. Saturn has been
wired for lights, Patriot and charge wire from MH to Toad battery. The previous owner said don't have to pull fuse just make sure everything is off, it doesn't have electronics as newer ones do. They've towed for 6-8 hours a couple times and no prob w/batt. But usually go bout 3-4 before starting & going thru gears etc.
Since I have never towed a toad.. Any hints on driving/towing/ turning?
I know that I'll have to go a bit further past my "turn point" that I use now on my MH only. witch is bout 2 feet past driver/passenger window. Which was what I was taught.
I watched a few Itunes videos on driving, but they are all about
just the MH, not with toad. And was told the ones about trailer
or boat towing are not the same as with a toad.
I know I can't back up etc. but the driving turning etc. also, anything I should know about hooking / un-hooking toad.. helpful
hints?
I'm also looking to do a check list for hooking & un-hooking from when
my RV shop shows me how to hook up toad.
Thanks,
Dy in No. Calif

'97 Allegro Bay 35' Chevy, '98 Saturn Wagon, Blue Ox Aventa II, Patriot Brake
rvgrammady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #2

First off is that when you hooked the TOAD, make sure that you do ALL of the styepa dn then recheck then everything is hooked up correctly.
-Hooking/unhooking make sure that either the parking brake is ON/Applied or the vehicle is in 'park'. The last thing yopu need is for the toad to roll forward and catch you in between the vehicles.
-I picked up a 'jump start' battery pack at NAPA and that is what I plug the brake controller in while towing the toad. The one I have will last a couple days without recharging. However I plug it in the the MH each night to 'refresh' the charge.
-When towing I also have my 'rear view camera on all the time.
-When hooking up, ensure that the brake controller is 'properly' set up and there is NO drag on the service brakes of the toad.
-For our rig, the toad seems to track in the same track as the MH. If the MH made the turn then the toad will also.

I am sure that there are several items that I missed but from your post, you seem to have a good idea if what you are doing.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #3

I had a 97 Saturn toad for 12 years. Awesome toad. Used the Brake Buddy. Still do!
Mine was manual and just had to be in neutral with key in ACC position. With radio and fan off it needs nothing. I could tow it for 3 or 4 days without starting it.

I did not know it was there. Of you go to s big parking lot you can see how easy it is.

Best wishes.
Dave
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There's really not much to it.

I always have the DW pull the toad into position while I give directions. When I give her the stop sign... she sits with her foot on the brake while I make sure that the tow bar will reach. Then I give her the "kill" sign and don't have my fingers anywhere near the tow bar while she shuts the toad down and sets the brake.

I doubt that you'll need to change your turning radius at all due to the toad... but this depends on the length of the coach so you'll have to feel your way around that one.

Knowing that you cannot back up, make absolutely sure that you have an exit plan before pulling in someplace for fuel, etc.

Keep the rear camera on and consider a tire pressure monitoring system which covers both the coach and toad. A flat on the toad could go for a long time before you discovered the fire.

Be sure to pump the brakes on the toad a half dozen times or so when setting up your brake system. As I understand it, it bleeds off pressure and ensures that the don't lock up the first time the coach slows down.

Make sure you research how to maintain your Aventa tow bar. You should remove the retainers on those rubber boots and clean/lube inside regularly.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two hints.

1: Do not back up.

2: On a road or other surface where you will leave clear tracks, Try some turns, see how it tracks, You might be surprised.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just started towing this last trip. Prior to that I took the mh and the toad over to a large vacant parking lot and used a few cones to do turns. I found it tracked with the rear wheels of the coach and also I could turn as sharp as I wanted to.
We also practiced hooking and unhooking. Comes in handy when you find yourself in that I gotta unhook and back up spot. I miss judged a turn leaving a parking lot and had to back the mh and go out another place. Just take the time to do it, it will give you peace of mind.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, towing